Charged twice for the same items

Has anyone else had the issue of being charged twice for the same items?

I bought 4 DVDs from a seller. I checked my bank account and each DVD including postage was withdrawn from my account, then a couple of days later the total amount for the 4 DVDs + postage was taken out of my account  again - so I have paid twice for the same items!!?

Checked with my bank - they said check with eBay and the seller as it easier to get the money back that way. 

Well the seller says nothing to do with them - not their problem - DON'T MAKE ACCUSATIONS!!!

Logged a misconduct with eBay, got  a confirmation email saying they would look into it....but nothing after 6 days.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Hello. 

The person who told you you did something wrong is incorrect. It is not the seller charging twice - Ebay manages the transactions. I have had a nightmare as a buyer as I get charged individually up front for each seller I buy from and then a lump sum 'pending hold' for total amount across all purchases made in same transaction the next day. eBay refuses to do anything about it and blames the bank but after spending an hour at my bank, I can tell you it is definitely eBay doing the obnoxious double hold.  The customer service people do nothing about it on eBay and do not care they impact your bank account for a week with the annoying pending overcharge aka fraudulent transaction taking from your bank balance.  And - it moves, which is bad accounting. Every day the pending lump sum fee moves to next day. It is rediculous.

As a seller they say they support us but doing this to buyers and pulling all the programming changes constantly and messing up our listings then forcing policies on us is NOT promoting sales. I like eBay but wow this stuff has to stop and they need to be reachable by phone and not have people reading rediculous impossible to believe not helpful scripts.

Message 41 of 52
Latest reply

The call center has been closed for over two years due to covid, as mentioned a few dozen times

Even so, those staff would use the same scripts 

Better to ask, and pay attention to the experienced buyers and sellers on the forum, who actually use eBay and understand the policies 

Of which most cs staff do neither 

Message 42 of 52
Latest reply

@relove_llamas wrote:

Hello. 

The person who told you you did something wrong is incorrect. It is not the seller charging twice - Ebay manages the transactions. I have had a nightmare as a buyer as I get charged individually up front for each seller I buy from and then a lump sum 'pending hold' for total amount across all purchases made in same transaction the next day. eBay refuses to do anything about it and blames the bank but after spending an hour at my bank, I can tell you it is definitely eBay doing the obnoxious double hold.  The customer service people do nothing about it on eBay and do not care they impact your bank account for a week with the annoying pending overcharge aka fraudulent transaction taking from your bank balance.  And - it moves, which is bad accounting. Every day the pending lump sum fee moves to next day. It is rediculous.

As a seller they say they support us but doing this to buyers and pulling all the programming changes constantly and messing up our listings then forcing policies on us is NOT promoting sales. I like eBay but wow this stuff has to stop and they need to be reachable by phone and not have people reading rediculous impossible to believe not helpful scripts.

What I'd like to see stopped is people spelling ridiculous with an E. There is no E in ridiculous. Never has been, never will be.

Message 43 of 52
Latest reply

Hi genesiscom_82, Yes just today experienced this in our Visa account, 4 separate transactions adding up to $475.23, plus a 'pending' amount of $475.23 on top of that.

Both eBay and my Bank assure me that the single amount of $475.23 is an 'authorisation' on hold until the individual transactions are cleared to the seller's accounts, after which time the single 'authorisation' hold amount will disappear from our transaction list and that '$475.23 will again appear as available balance. The problem I (and you) have had with it is that it ties up extra money in the account that you might need desperately until the authorisation amount is released back to your account.  

I was able to get someone helpful on the live chat, who says they have passed this to Payments team to clear ASAP.  I told them it was urgent. but realistically I think it will take the full 7 days. It is a stupid system, probably imposed because I used a Visa Card transaction instead of going through Paypal as I usually do.

Message 44 of 52
Latest reply

it takes 7-14 days depending on the bank associated with your card. i just found out today through the same way you did

Message 45 of 52
Latest reply

YES!  This is the 4th time it's happened and I cannot get onto Ebay!  

I sold an item for $10 plus postage of $9.98.  Ebay put 6.30 in my account for the payment (hence taking out the postage of $9.30 plus their fees) - then today they inform me they are taking ANOTHER $9.30 out of my bank account!!  I cannot contact them though I have tried sending a reply to this email.

Message 46 of 52
Latest reply

Use Live Chat. (At the bottom of the Help page.)

Message 47 of 52
Latest reply

Did you use eBay postage labels?

Message 48 of 52
Latest reply

7 days? Both live chat employees I talked to told me the hold was 3-5 days, so I guess they're all liars too. It's been over 5 days and that double "pending" charge still isn't back in my account despite calling the visa customer service and them assuring me that it would be "back in soon". What kind of crooked practices are these that they're allowed to hold on to a second double charge in your account for so long? There is no excuse for that. I need that money back in my visa urgently because there are things I need to buy, and I sure aren't going to buy off ebay anymore after this experience. I'm reporting Ebay to the BBB for this. I buy something for $191, total of $350 on my card and they charge me twice with this silly pending hold, leaving me with a negative balance and me not being able to use my card. Very scummy business practices.

Message 49 of 52
Latest reply

We don't have the BBB in Australia and no eBay staff read the member to member forum for eBay Australia 

Best post on the forum for eBay USA since that is where you are

And yes, eBay CS staff all read from the same script so will all say the same thing

Message 50 of 52
Latest reply