Error code 70164

On 29th December, when I clicked pay now on a purchase, I got this message in red: "The sellers can't accept payment right now. Contact them for help. Error Code 70164. " I tried repeatedly to pay but only got the same error code. Numerous emails to seller (U.S. seller said he'd had several customers with the same problem), eBay and Paypal were worthless. Obviously a technical problem jammed the sale when trying to connect to Paypal and there it sat. I called eBay service several times and got lame and ridiculous suggestions about what caused it but they never admitted it had anything to do with them. Then exactly two weeks after the problem occurred, I got an email from ebay saying the seller had opened an unpaid item case against me. I was gobsmacked and furious since it wasn't my fault I couldn't pay! But then ebay sent me a second email which stated that the item had been paid and an unpaid item won't be recorded on my account. 

Of course no payment went through but when I checked my ebay page, the unpaid item had disappeared entirely. I presume this is the only way eBay can clear the stalled item from your ebay page. I've posted this to let others know about this in case it happens to them.The U.S. community board is full of people badly affected by this Code 70164 which is apparently a flaw in the system that occurrs sporadically and you are unlucky if you are one of its vixctims. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this won't happen to me again!

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Error code 70164

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you try ringing paypal?

Payment errors can usually be sorted by paypal, not ebay.

Even if the strikehad been issued you could ring ebay and explain what happened.....they usually remove the strike as they can see what happened.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Error code 70164

I did ring Paypal, more than once in between three calls to eBay. The first eBay advisor claimed it was Paypal's fault. When I called Paypal they said it was nothing to do with them. I then asked that they change the Paypal payment back to the standard 2 step method in place of the ecpress mehtod foisted on us on eBay in case the new  express method was causing the problem. The advisor at Paypal told me they would not do this as it would be going backwards to old technology! Frankly, I was fed up with both of these big powerful ( and very rich) companies giving me such a runaround.

I am relieved that I don't have an unpaid item on my ebay page any more (I have a 100% rating over 12 years) but right now I don't think I will try shopping on ebay again. I would be too worried that it coukld happen again. 

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply