Seller not responding to my messages

ozmaus00
Community Member

Hi there,

I need some help. 

I am trying to contact  a seller that sold me a hoverboard. I purchased the hoverboard in November as a Christmas present. We noticed that it had some technical issues with the Bluetooth synchronisation and  the lights worked on and off at times. 

I was emailing the seller several times to find out if the item can be returned, or fixed.  I did not get any reply, support or help. 

What can I do to exchange or fix the item?

Regards.

Stefanie 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Where is your seller REGISTERED? (Not item location).

You can see this on their feedback page.

You only have 30 days from the last estimated date of delivery to open a case for Not as Described.

Usually a problem seller will try and get you to wait beyond the 30 day time frame so that you cannot open a case. Either a seller won't respond, or will make all sorts of promises with no intention of fulfilling them.

You can, however, open a case in Paypal.

I think that before you do, others will clarify what steps you should activate before opening the case there.

In general, if the seller is registered in Australia, and they want the item back, they will need to supply a shipping label. If they don't, then their only option is to refund you.

If the seller is overseas, they cannot send a label, so they must either send you return postage separately, or refund you.

Do not close the case, no matter what the seller tells you, even if they offer to send a replacement. Get your money back first and then you can decide if you want to repurchase.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

I think that before you do, others will clarify what steps you should activate before opening the case there.

It's the "limited return postage" offer Jelly.

@ozmaus00

Always open an eBay dispute first if you can, then a Paypal one. DO NOT open both disputes at the same time or they will both be closed against you.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Sorry but I need help ! bought a laptop in March 2023. it lasted about 7 days, so I contacted the seller, and it was returned for warranty. although it was sold 'as new' the warranty was only 30 days rtb, after several days the seller came back and said the laptop had been tampered with ,which I denied strenuously, after many emails back and forth, my "warranty", and at the same time my ebay protection had expired. Now after several times through ebay to open a dispute, both which failed, my laptop is still in possession of the seller. It is now August, the seller will not answer emails , in fact he has shut up shop for the past three months. I just want the laptop back for an independent inspection. To be honest I am very **bleep** off. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Regards Phil

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

You should open a new thread for this, Phil.

However, as you’ve posted here, I’ll do my best to offer some helpful advice.

The first error was in relying on “warranty” from an eBay seller. This doesn’t exist unless the seller is an Australian business. Have you checked whether this is an Australian seller and they sell laptops in the course of that business? If so, you have potential remedy under ACL.

Had you opened a claim under eBay’s Money Back Guarantee, you’d have been covered. That is only applicable for 30 days and is entirely bot-driven. Too late now, and clearly the seller knows it.

Your best remedy now is the following:

• if you paid via PayPal, open a claim immediately under PayPal Buyer Protection. I presume you sent back the laptop with tracking, so delivery status will show it’s been delivered. You have 180 days from the day of the transaction, so it must be perilously close to that now… Dob’t delay. Ask for full refund. You won’t get back your return postage but you should get back item cost and original postage.

OR

• if you paid with credit card/ debit card as your funding source but not via PayPal, ask your bank for a chargeback. Again, don’t delay; the longest timeframe for a chargeback depends on your card issuer’s T&Cs, and the longest I’ve seen is 6 months (same as the PayPal period). Some are shorter.

Do not open up both claims at the same time; PP will immediately close a dispute if you start a chargeback for the same transaction. Chargebacks can be opened after a denied PP claim but not the reverse.

Act now.

Have your proof of delivery ready.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply