iPad App is now asking me to sign-in

My iPad eBay App has been working fine for years, although I do not use it as often as the browser on my desktop.

When I am away from my desktop, I use the tablet to check on my bids, leave feedback and search for items. A couple of weeks ago, when I attempted to use it the way I always did, it asked me to sign-in! I left it alone and tried again last week with the same result. I tried it again tonight and it still asked me to sign-in,

I am not aware of an effective way to alert eBay to this because they are obviously unaware of it, otherwise they would have fixed it by now.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: iPad App is now asking me to sign-in

Uninstall and reinstall it and see if that works. Alternatively, use the desktop site on your tablet. My tablet is only small and the desktop site is very easy to use on that.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion, but I found that re-installing an app because the service provider did something to break it is not likely to fix it. Even if it did, the solution will be very short lived when the service provider plays some more.

If the service provider is not prepared to fix what they broke, I can just get rid of the app altogether and just access the service when I happen to be at my desktop.

It is not as if eBay is the only on-line store. I can always shop with other, more reliable and disciplined stores.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

EBay don't care at all of you shop elsewhere. I have rarely had an ounce of trouble with the app. I was only trying to offer suggestions that have worked for me. 

My 70 odd year old mother has no issues using eBay on the desktop site on her iPad. Me, I refuse to use any apple products. Probably why you are only seeing people with app issues here are all using iPhones or iPads.

If it's your service provider causing issues, how can eBay be blamed for that? I'd be getting a new ISP!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@mascot2020 wrote:

My iPad eBay App has been working fine for years, although I do not use it as often as the browser on my desktop.

When I am away from my desktop, I use the tablet to check on my bids, leave feedback and search for items. A couple of weeks ago, when I attempted to use it the way I always did, it asked me to sign-in! I left it alone and tried again last week with the same result. I tried it again tonight and it still asked me to sign-in,

If it's asking you to sign in then somewhere along the line you must have signed out or your period of staying

logged in has expired so it will ask you to log in as a safety/security protocol.

Inactive account are the main target of hijackers/scammers and that's why some sites now have a time period on

how long you can stay logged in.

If you cleared Cookies and Cache or updated the iPad that can trigger the sign in option as it's a security measure

to make certain that the account belongs to you.

Using it at a different location can also trigger the sign in option.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Hi Tippy Toes,

I do appreciate your suggestions and agree with almost all of them.

I agree that eBay do not care if members shop elsewhere as you stated. I believe that the eBay servers are overwhelmed with members and would be happy if a few of them go away, especially those who complain about their services, like me!

I too, like you, have enjoyed using the iOS application on my iPad for years without any trouble, until now.

I am of your mother’s generation and I believe that she has the right idea by accessing the eBay services through a browser and NOT through an iOS application. The application was a convenient way for a quick search, without having to launch a browser. If I am to remove the eBay iOS application and only use a browser from now on, which I will, eBay can be bookmarked, alphabetically in a group, along with other on-line sellers.

What I do not agree with, is your statement that the eBay service, and the eBay iOS application providers cannot be blamed for causing issues with the eBay service, and the eBay iOS application! I just do not see any reason for me to get a new internet service provider just because of the issues with the eBay service, and the eBay iOS application.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Hi Go-Taz,

I very much doubt that I signed out at any time. This iPad is my own personal tablet, with a strong password. I have never singed out before in well over five years of using the application. It could be that five years of being logged in is the maximum period I am allowed to stay logged-in, but that is far too long of a safety or security protocol period!

It would have been nice if eBay service would have given its members an indication about preventing hijackers and scammers, with warnings that things are about to change in regard to the eBay iOS application. As a matter of fact, being asked to log-in again, raised a red flag in my mind, that someone has actually hijacked the eBay iOS application and is attempting to get the credentials to my account

I do not take my tablet out of the house or connect it to other Wi-Fi except at home. I am not aware of any way I can clear cookies or cache on the iPad eBay iOS application and I have not updated my iPad nor my iTunes installation for a couple of years now.

I believe that the eBay service and servers contain bugs relating to the iOS application, unless they have been hacked or hijacked.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply