Autumn 2014 Seller Release

pixie-six
Community Manager
Community Manager

"Twice a year we bundle together a number of site, functionality and fee updates aimed at helping you deliver an enhanced shopping experience for your customers. The initiatives announced today encourage sellers to adopt the behaviours we know buyers increasingly prefer - boosting the chances of a successful sale or sustained business growth. Read more at Welcome to the Autumn 2014 Seller Release."

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Autumn 2014 Seller Release

This is just another way for ebay to make money by taking a cut from the postage or overall total price. Why do I have that opinion?

A buyer has a choice. If they think the postage is too high then they can choose not to buy or to buy from someone else. A buyer is RESPONSIBLE for their own buying behaviour. They can say yes, they can say no.

We offer a product with postage. If they don't like the offer they choose not to accept.

Ebay gets enough of my % of sale as it is. Shame on you for making this money hungry change.

I, like my buyers, have a choice. I can choose to trade with ebay based on your greedy terms or I can go elsewhere.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

**bleep** right. Not only is this a blatant cash-grab, they don't even have the balls to be honest about it. Pathetic. If they were truly trying to 'improve' the experience, and the best idea they can come up with is forcing sellers to pay all postage costs or pay eBay a fee on a service eBay didn't even provide (very dubious legality there), then they're imbeciles.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

If I use an eBay satchel, and eBay print-up postache - but the parcel goes missing....who is the one to find out what's gone wrong?

Do I call eBay for help? Ummmm....NOOOOOOOO.....I tried to just ASK about their whole arrangement and was referred to - yep - AP......so if AP is where the buck stops, if I am the one who has to do the chasing - through & with AP.....what service is eBay providing that in any way begins to justify charging a % fee? I was trying to justify it in my head re the eBay bags and so on .... but even with THAT....you got an issue....eBay is not going to have a clue how to fix it other than a link to --- AP......so why are we gonna be paying eBay a % again? I think that bit got lost on me......

Steaming mad.....and I'm not even an active seller!!!

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The only reasons profit organisations make policy changes is either they are legally obligated or for greater profits. In most cases it is for greater profits. More the consumer pays at the end of the day.

ie:     hidden bidding, sellers pushing up their sale price = more ebay/ paypal profits

Increased fees, Fee charges based on item and postage = more ebay profits (  Is this one legal? )

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I'll be checking if it is legal for Ebay to take and make money (a profit) on something that they have nothing to do with. I don't make money from the postage so why should Ebay? It is discrimination against the sellers that make Ebay there money. Will be going to Facebook like everyone else

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

ebay has teamed up with auspost,they have been trying to get sellers to use auspost through ebay ,its not working for them, hence the we will charge them through final value where we have to pay a percentage to a company(greedybay) for a service they dont provide
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

This is an outragous money grab, Australia post isnt owned by them so it is illegal for eBay to make money from, to profit from an organization or service not owned or provided by them. When you sell something on eBay they can charge you a fee for useing their website as a "vehicle" to sell your item, whereas the postage cost is the charge Australia post charges you  for their service to transit your parcel to its designated destination and has its a service that has nothing to do with ebay, Their reply is for the seller to add the postage onto the selling price and then put it up as post free, Well to state the obvious that ebay will make billions of proffit from this.

Do you think they can then charge us less for our fees.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Lodge a complaint like I did. Others are lodging a complain with ACCC in the forum. Feel free to submit a complaint against ebay terms at both places.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/contact-us

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

If I may make one point.

I think someone at ebay needs to take a basic accountancy course.

Postage is a COST. Whether it is absorbed by the seller or passed on to the buyer, it is still a COST.

(This is sometimes expressed as a negative integer, or may be written in red in a ledger.)

If ebay wants a share of this COST, they are quite welcome, in my opinion.

For ebay to take a percentage of a COST they would actually have to pay a fee TO seller, not take FROM the seller.

Like I said, basic accountancy.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply