GST only being added to total after commiting to buy

So we all know the laws changed July 1st and I've just made my first ebay purchase since then. Problem is GST isn't being shown until after you commit to buy and I'm not sure this is legal. Isn't it required in Australia that the total price be shown including any taxes prior to being locked into a purchase? Anyone know for sure?

I tried asking this of ebay customer service and they just ended the chat LOL. Now I'm defintiely going to pursue it.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: GST only being added to total after commiting to buy

It appears this also puts Australian sellers at an "apparent" 10% cost disadvantage on the filter by price as their listings already include GST (if they are registered), where as eBay tries to spring it on the buyer for international transactions after they have selected their items.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

@xerxes_au wrote:

It appears this also puts Australian sellers at an "apparent" 10% cost disadvantage on the filter by price as their listings already include GST (if they are registered), where as eBay tries to spring it on the buyer for international transactions after they have selected their items.

Yes, the way this has been implemented is nonsense. In addition to your point, I can imagine international sellers are seeing an increase in cancellations/non-payers, because there would be buyers who won't want to proceed with transactions upon discovering that the total is +10%.

With that said, I've had a marked increase in sales since July. I don't know if this is coincidental or if people are shopping with me rather than with my international competitors (I am the only "major" Australian seller in my category) to avoid the +10%. I was cheaper than my competitors even before July 1st, though, mostly due to their exorbitant postage costs.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

FWIW, ACCC did get back to me eventually and agree Paypal are handling this incorrectly and likely illegally but doesn't look like they're going to do anything about it.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Hello,

We dislike the fact that gst is NOT included in the original price and is added at time of payment . In Australia all prices are GST inclusive far better up front a very honest system.

eBay charges it through the “back door” after you have agreed on the price, “ bye the way you need to pay an extra 10% “, when you don’t expect to pay more this is **bleep**.

We generally  find eBay fails the buy ( consumer) on a regular bases,  treating the buyer as a third  class citizen after the seller and eBay itself .

Carolyn & Simon Nash

South Australia 

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

This is a 2 year old thread, and maybe things have changed but I have not had any change to a price once I hit check out (unless I didn't notice it, but I do tend to check that sort of thing).

I figured the GST was in the item price (as is usual) and the freight charge is paid for by the seller.

edited: I have just checked my purchases - and No, no additioinal charge was made

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

It is sellers whom eBay treat as garbage

If you find otherwise, perhaps reading the (full) listings, understanding price differences due to exchange rates, if the postage charge is based on the seller's location or not, tools for buyer protection  etc etc will serve you better than making a comment like buyers being treated as third class citizens 

Would you have the item numbers for  any of these 'surprise' charges listings?

And what did you do when you got the extra charges applied?

Did you contact eBay and question them?

And what did they tell you? 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I'm guessing these were overseas purchases and you didn't read the listing properly.

The GST is always on the invoice prior to payment.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply