How can I get eBay to listen to a very straight-forward problem?

My photography for an item is being used by an overseas eBay seller - the photography they are useing is plastered with my user-name as a watermark, so it's probably the most provable case you can imagine.

I called eBay and spoke to somebody who clearly didn't understand what I was talking about, and after I had explained everything she aked me whether I was trying to buy the item! I explainefd it all again, and after a long wait, I was transferred to somebody else, and then I explained it all again. He told me that he was unable tpo deal with it personally, and that I would have to send an email to somebody else, explaining everything to them, and that they would get in contact with eBay, and then eBay would make a decision on whether to take down the listing or not. I told them that I was already talking to eBay, and the case was very easy - my eBay store name was all over the stolen photos! But he wouldn't budge, and then put me on hold for 5 minutes looking for the email address I needed - which turned out to be vero@ebay.com ! 

So now I have emailed that address, and much time has passed, and I have heard nothing, and the offending listing is still up. The onlycorrespondence I got back from them was  "Thanks for calling us. Because we weren't able to authenticate you during the call, we thought the information below might help you make sure your account information is up to date." - and then they tell me how to update my credit card, phone number etc., - none of which needs doing, and they were quite happy talking to me before during our telephone conversation (no question of verification). I have no idea why they sent that, or even whether it was in raltionship to this. 

Any idea how I can get through to them on this simple clear-cut issue?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Have you contacted the seller ?

Often when you contact the seller and ask them to remove the photo's they will.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I'd definitely contact the seller directly.

Reporting any sort of copyright violation on eBay is a pain in the nether regions - one particular plank has been selling a couple of items which feature my images (as part of the actual item), and I can't get eBay to stop him, despite numerous attempts via Vero.

No matter how many of their hoops I jump through, they put up another one. By the time I've completed every task they've set, the listing has ended (every listing in his account is a three-day listing, and the Vero process takes longer).

And in some cases, use of someone's else's images is allowed. Here's a link to the site policy on image use :

Note the bit about if the images have been added to eBay's "product catalogue". Vero won't act if that's where the user in question got the images from. Further, eBay can add images to their product catalogue pretty much when and where they see fit; it's one of the T's & C's in the User Agreement that all sellers must accept.

There are also new rules about the use of watermarks in images - as in, "don't"...

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Ebay, in all their wisdom, have made it policy that watermarking your images is a no-no

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370&st=3&pos=1&query=Pictu... policy

That's so they can add your photo to their product catalogue for everyone to use.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-policies/images-text-policy?id=4240&st=3&pos=1&query=I... and text policy

If the seller won't remove the pic then I don't know there's much you can do.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I was just about to give the same info Stawks.....it has to be the silliest policy change ever to be foisted on sellers.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I seem to remember an announcement about the watermarking.  I think they said they would remove listings if watermarks weren't removed.

But I can't find it now.    And I don't remember what the time frame was anyway.

I haven't noticed anyone screaming about their listings coming down.....yet.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Found it.   Spring Seller Release 

Sellers have until 1st March 2018 to remove watermarks

https://sellercentre.ebay.com.au/sr17-2/Policy-Updates

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I'm no expert on this stuff, but my understanding is that if you put something in the public domain and it's not trademarked registered or intellectual property protected, it then becomes public domain property. 

I cant quote a source, or authority, it's just 'stuff' I've picked up along the road - a bumpy one ....lol.

i know I'm not helping much, but perhaps a few enquiries with a friend or colleague who may know something about it. It could be just an urban myth.

Melina.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply