Is it true that ebay and paypal are now partners?

geminijimbuilder
Community Member

I heard a while back that ebay was now partners with paypal, if this is correct, then would that be a conflict of interest for the purchaser?
Being a long time consumer of both these companies, I now find that more and more privacy issues arise to operate in these environments.... I lately and still, cannot enter my profile on paypal as I do not use a mobile, this has now caused cancellation of my credit card listed as I could not gain log-in to post my new card details and expiry..... all attempts to contact paypal have failed as    I CAN NOT LOG_IN.......
anyone with positive answers here?

Tens of thousands of  Australian dollars are spent on my account and this will ALL be lost to both accounts shortly as access is denied by Paypal....  -  now looking for alternate suppliers after over a decade.... YOUR LOSS.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Is it true that ebay and paypal are now partners?

@geminijimbuilder wrote:

Do you actually read my post at all? as  I clearly state that I do not use a mobile, so how in hell do you think I transact with either except with a computer??? by telepathy maybe?   
I did state useful answers, this is NOT.
Are you "off planet" ?

You are expecting useful answers, when you respond like this.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

When ever I log in to paypal, there is the request and provision to provide a mobile number,  and immediately below this provision is a blue tab marked,  NOT NOW.    Simply hitting the  NOT NOW  tab  bypasses this requirement/request.

It has been this way for ages, but have never been compelled to provide a number

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

What you say is only part true.... as this is not the option given here for two weeks when trying to log in..... there is NO option to "not now" when I try to log in for access to my account to process the card details......
However just this morning when actually going to pay for a item on ebay...... yes I have seen the "not now" many times and used it.... but did not realise that when reading more.... I could actually access the "add a card" at this point...... of which I did and now have my preferred method of payment restored....
So yes you gave me insight to try a different way to get to access my account as this.... But why paypal do not add the "not now" option to a standard log-in, we will never know...?
The "not now" is ONLY available through the payment process. Nothing is a option with a general log-in online. if you do not enter a mobile number..... This was a major mistake on their behalf.....
Thanks for the suggestion, even though I finally figured it out myself.... your answer was a resolve in a round about way...
Thanks.

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

I appreciate your answer and suggestion, but this is NOT possible as I  am Deaf and do not use a telephone.... one of the reasons I do not have a mobile number or phone.... hence why I am wasting time here trying to resolve the position that paypal has put me in....
I have now resolved the immediate concern of updating my card details... by accessing my account during a payment process, where I could "add a card" whereas with a standard online (computer) log-in was given no access without having to insert a mobile number (of which I do not have)
Just to note: Not everyone has a mobile phone... you cannot blatantly make a customer buy a mobile for your security reasoning.  Judo Bank just found this out recently when I tried investing a half million dollars in a account with them and was DENIED because I did not have a mobile phone for their confirmation (and **bleep** advertising, I bet), so they lost my investment and it was reported to the anti discrimination board also
There call center couldn't care less...
Thanks for the assistance in this forum...
Jim

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

With a standard log-in ... there is NO "skip" or "not now" buttons.... -FACT
yes there is during a payment only.
I was not trying to pay for something I just needed to change my card details as a update.... simple. and NO access unless you enter a mobile number....

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

It could be that I have a paypal login page bookmarked,  so the   NOT NOW  tab is always available.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Decided to login to paypal via google,  brought up  a standard login or register page, with nothing about adding mobile, clicked login and  the  add mobile request  appeared with a big blue tab marked  ADD MOBILE NUMBER   and just below, in small blue letters   "not now". 

So while different to my bookmarked page, the add mobile request still has a  "not now" option

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

Are you in Australia, because I have my screen open in next page and it only shows...
after account name and password log i n -  (next page)

No option to opt out, just stalls when no mobile number is entered...Has been like that for over 2 weeks....
If you choose call you with a code... nothing happens.
Anyhow my drama is resolved until the next time, thanks.

Jim (computer literate since 1985)
not a newbe.

Paste:-  (except code html)

Add your mobile number to help keep your account more secure

This is an easy way for us to keep the PayPal community safer, help prevent fraud and reach you if there's ever an issue.

This field cannot be empty.

Add Mobile Number
Call you with a code
By providing your mobile number, you authorise PayPal to contact you.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

In Aus and have no problems at all bypassing the  mobile requirement.  Have logged in 3 times this morning,

Once from bookmark and twice from search engines

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

@geminijimbuilder wrote:

Are you in Australia, because I have my screen open in next page and it only shows...
after account name and password log i n -  (next page)

The majority of responders on the Australian boards are Australian although occasionally someone drops in from the USA.

If your page shows account name and password why can you not log in from there?

My first page is email address and password.  When I hit login I then get the mobile number request, under which is the blue "not now".  When I hit that I am taken to my paypal account summary page.

No option to opt out, just stalls when no mobile number is entered...Has been like that for over 2 weeks....
If you choose call you with a code... nothing happens.

Of course nothing will happen if you choose to have them call you with a code....they have no number to call.
Anyhow my drama is resolved until the next time, thanks.

Jim (computer literate since 1985)
not a newbe.

Paste:-  (except code html)

Add your mobile number to help keep your account more secure

This is an easy way for us to keep the PayPal community safer, help prevent fraud and reach you if there's ever an issue.

This field cannot be empty.

Add Mobile Number
Call you with a code
By providing your mobile number, you authorise PayPal to contact you.

Have you tried logging in with your email address?  This is another way for them to contact you and should negate the insistence for a mobile number.

My paypal account has been in existence for far longer than my ebay account and I have never had a problem logging in.

BTW there is no need to be rude to the responders here.....none of us have had your problems and it is hard to suggest a work around.

One suggestion I can make is to buy a very cheap basic mobile phone and find a cheap plan (I have an Optus prepaid plan for $30 for 6 months) and then you can get codes etc.

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply