Recorded message advising me I have purchased an item on

ebay for $300 if this purchase is incorrect press 1 to speak to

an ebay operative.

Woman Embarassed

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Latest Ebay Phone Scam

One rule I go by is never answer private numbers or numbers I don't know.

I have a leave message service so if it's important then they'll leave a message.

I've also noticed over time the scam calls seem to only ring 3 times and then hang up so once the call ends I go straight to block this number and block it.

Mind you I have 100s of blocked numbers on my phone, some may of been important but I'll never know.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I thought it was  Knock Three Times,   My phone only rings 8 times before diverting

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Third one this fortnight but this time I pressed 1 and when a person came on the line gave them a gob full  using words that would make a wharfie blush, they hung up on me, funny that. Hopefully they will have taken my phone number off their list but then again...

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Nope

All pressing 1 has done is confirmed you are a real phone number and the person on the other end will play along with pressing 1 (the scammers could'nt care less what the person says when they do so) and it will be circulated to all their scammer mates as well

I hope this was not a smart phone you used to press 1

(Have a read through the many posts on the forum of what has resulted when other people went right on a head and 'pressed 1') 

It will have you swearing at yourself 

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Worse.

It gives them access to your phone.

Change all your passwords now.

Never press 1

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Indeed

Hardly worth the couple of seconds satisfaction of thinking you have offended a scammer

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

jennie_723
Community Member

Same thing happened to me today.  Recorded message said an amount will be debited from my card and call them.  
i called the scammer and he said “I purchased a gift card last night”.  
and if I want to cancel the order I need  to download an application called TEAMVIEWER from play store and that’s when it clicked that they were trying to gain access to my phone.   I hang up and told them that I’ll call my bank and report a fraudulent transaction.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply