Outraged! Return : Ebay goes against it's own rules

Anybody else had this happen to them?

Sold a set of rare 80s cards set for $800 going overseas. Multiple photos of the product listed that I took. Sent him multiple extra photos through ebay messages. He received his cards to say you never mentioned that these are the UK version that are 1 inch smaller in size and opened up a case citing "not as described in the listing". He never once asked for this minor detail (I never knew there was a variant size that was released in another country 40 years ago) prior to ordering even after I sent him so many extra photos he said it looks all good. He has either changed his mind and wants me to pay for the international return or worse he is looking to steal the 3 incredibly rare cards in the set and send the rest in the return which ebay will automatically refund him the full cost once the tracking shows delivered (this has happened to me before). Even after evidence in the messages ebay is forcing me to pay for the costly return.  Ebays rules state a change of mind the buyer must pay for the return yet they have ignored my please to read the messages between us. After 25 years on ebay Im seriously considering leaving ebay.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Have you researched that what buyer is saying is true?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Can't see any ' cards ' sold from April 2023 till now. ??

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

yes....the black double deck $799

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Here ya go Dom, item number 155738183962 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

From google- 

Unlike the U.S. cards that measure 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches and are die-cut, the UK cards are smaller measuring 2 1/8 X 3 inches and are non die-cut (peeling from the edges), and are sometimes referred to as 'mini' because of their cigarette-card size.

Not as described, I'd say, if this was not mentioned.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

A quick search tells you the US had the Garbage Pail Kids and the UK had the Garbage Gang. Photo shows the later and so does the title. The year may be incorrect though from what I could find. 

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Yes you may be about to get ripped off, but at the same time, the buyer may very well be genuine and expected to receive  the  1985 USA series Topps cards, being the first ever USA Topps Series.

While you may have a case for claiming  COM,  the buyer also has a case for INAD.

Item specifics  which you were very scant on, has a  specific for  country/region of manufacture, had you used this specific and indicated UK  AUS  NZ etc, them the buyer would not have a valid claim, so in effect you left the gate open.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply