" GST on low value imported goods - if you sell through an online marketplace" any news?

rudolphonline
Community Member

Hi,

Any one on eBay heard any news regarding to police update about " GST on low value imported goods -  if you sell through an online marketplace"  ?

ATO recently relase an article regarding to new GST rules of sale low value goods on online marketplace.

Any feedback or policy update from eBay ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

" GST on low value imported goods - if you sell through an online marketplace" any news?

Unless Australia Post becomes involved in collecting the GST I can see a lot of small sellers fom overseas falling through the cracks.

Whether the goods are new or second hand makes no difference.....they are still subject to GST.

I see interesting times ahead.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

At this stage , it appears Ebay will do it at checkout.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Slow Mo, now trying to spin it as making the multi nationals pay tax.  Rubbish it is australian buyers who are being forced to pay the GST.  The multi nationals etc are being forced to collect and remit the tax on behalf of ATO, and of course provide this service at their cost.  I see many others telling Slow Mo where to put his GST.

Anyway, as long as AP etc, dont start laying of staff when the international parcels dry up, there may be benefits to our national post services

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

The local one, of course, has the same range of products as the parent one.

roflmao.gif

Oh,if only that was so,  You can only buy a very small percentage of goods via AMAZON  AUST.  But apparently they are going to ramp it up a bit

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

Wait until those sub 1K items start getting lost, turning up faulty or broken.

Who will re-imburse the GST component?

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

@dlr4573 wrote:

Wait until those sub 1K items start getting lost, turning up faulty or broken.

Who will re-imburse the GST component?

When a refund is made the GST will be reimbursed by ebay, the entity who collected it.

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

Which is extra work for Ebay who are not known as a charity:-)

How they can reduce second hand goods to zero is a mystery considering the original owner will

have paid some sort of sales tax.

Easier and gets more revenue, I suppose.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

It is no more work than giving a full refund for a faulty/missing item.....hit the button and it will all be refunded.

What do you mean about reducing second hand goods to zero?   If they are sold they are treated the same as any goods....GST has to be paid.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

"Yes, the GST has always applied to second hand items.....there is nothing different in the type of items it applies to".

This is causing such confusion everywhere.

In Australia, second hand goods only attract GST if they are sold for a profit by an entity with a turnover +75K.

If I sell a few items on Gumtree or Ebay, I don't have to worry about GST.

What I am talking about is the GST being reduced from 1k to zero for imports.

And second hand imported goods being taxed with the same rate as brand new imports.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

"It is no more work than giving a full refund for a faulty/missing item.....hit the button and it will all be refunded".

Unless the payment was included in Ebay's last forwarding of the GST component to the ATO.

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply