0 fb seller unresponsive after paying, now long should i wait to get refund

so i bought & paid for an item on sun 7th, i saw the seller has 0 fb so sent them a msg just saying 'hi i have just paid, just wanted to make sure you got the payment ok?'....no response as of yet, sent it again yesterday just in case still no reply. Since Ebay stupidly enable the relist function by default i thought maybe this is a relist & the seller forgot about it. But nope, when i search for completed items by them theres only mine & another item sold on 27th June. 

So how long would you wait before applying for a refund if you did not hear from the seller? i could be wrong but i have a gut feeling they're not going to respond. Maybe the've gone on school holiday & forgotten all about it or something. Or maybe they have or are going to post it just somehow didnt see my msgs

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: 0 fb seller unresponsive after paying, now long should i wait to get refund

It's only the 10th today so it's a little early to worry too much. But... if it doesn't arrive by the due date and you have not received a reply from the seller by then, I would then open a claim immediately. I would not give them an extra minute.

My reasoning is a new seller would usually be interested in how their listed item was doing. Or you would think so. I would have expected them to have at least looked at their listing a couple of times or noticed when it sold.

They may not have checked back into ebay though after it sold, which could explain why you have not received a reply to your message.

But new or not, they are the seller and it is up to them to read up at least a little bit on ebay terms & conditions. And as a seller, you don't have to be on ebay to know that after someone pays for something, you are expected to supply it.

I think communication is really important on ebay. I wouldn't necessarily expect everything to be instant, but if you don't get any reply in the next day or so plus your item isn't shown in My ebay as posted plus if the item isn't received within the due dates. well, that's 3 sins.

Message 11 of 34
Latest reply

new seller or not, your covered by ebays 'money back' garantee.

so why worry?

if the guy doesnt load a tracking number then he is open for a item not recieved claim.

just wait until you get a notice of it being posted or until the estimated date of arival passes

then put a claim in.

Message 12 of 34
Latest reply

Why would the OP open a dispute when they get notice that the item has been posted?  That would be sheer bl**dy mindedness.

You only open a dispute once the estimated delivery time has elapsed.

Message 13 of 34
Latest reply

I'm not worried about the money I just really want the item which is a collectible type thing that I haven't actually seen on ebay before

Message 14 of 34
Latest reply

Ah, collectables. That explains everything.

(You can always tell whether or not I've bought some Hester Bateman silver by the eagerness with which I check for the mail...)

Message 15 of 34
Latest reply

Well said, they would get an email from PayPal so it's not as if they even have to go onto the eBay app/website to know they have sold something. I also would have thought that has a new seller they would be excited to see if there were any bids or buys so would go and check maybe once every 24 to 48 hours.

But thinking about the fact that I would really like the item & maybe something has come up for the seller that they haven't responded like accident, death in the family, flood, fire etc (hopefully nothing that dramatic!),  I might give it a couple of weeks & hope for the best then if nothing i will file for a refund. Can someone please confirm if they know how long the I've got to file a dispute with PayPal I think last time I looked it was 60 days?

Message 16 of 34
Latest reply

PayPal's timeframe for a dispute under PayPal Buyer Protection is very generous: 180 days.

Message 17 of 34
Latest reply

ah, you saw my 'on purpose' error there, if the guy posts it then problem solved.

Message 18 of 34
Latest reply

It won't harm if you wait a couple of weeks after the due date of arrival. If you look up the ebay terms it will be able to tell you more exactly, but I think you get around a month after the due date (or 30 days, something like that, anyway) to file an ebay claim but 180 days to file a paypal claim.

Message 19 of 34
Latest reply

a simple message to the seller after the delivery date has passed by a day or 3 to alert him its not turned up is a good idea.

that way if you do ring ebay they will see you attempted to comunicate with the seller.

they will check your message history to see whats been going on.

if you have left unanswered messages thats going to be not good for the seller.

Message 20 of 34
Latest reply