$1750 eBay Scam? Has this seller scammed me?

zain5700
Community Member

Hi all,

I ordered an expensive $1750 brand new Nikon camera from a seller. Before it was dispatched i strictly told seller to recheck my address and name and don't use safe dropping method.

Some facts:

- item location is Melbourne, gets posted from Ashfield, NSW

- Sellers suggested bank transfer (I refused, opted Paypal)

- The items get delivered somewhere but the tracking number just shows that it was delivered in my suburb.

- Seller used a 500 gram express post sachet to post an expensive piece of electronics (Camera's body itsself is 750 gram without box and stuff) .

- Seller also didn't use "signature upon delivery" according to AUPost.

- investigation with Aupost and dispute with eBay and Paypal lodged the same day.

- Seller requested to close the disputes so he can get the funds from Paypal. Also, the parcel is in Aupost system and will only get delivered to my address when PayPal will release funds (tracking number shows "delivered" already)

- Sellers account gets suspended.

- Seller wants time till Monday to make sure package gets delivered to me.

I haven't received anything nor want to complete this transaction with this seller because of my suspicion of fraud.

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: $1750 eBay Scam? Has this seller scammed me?

@zain5700,

I'm glad that you found out who the seller is.

As said, it's too late to do anything now through eBay or PayPal, but it seems that you have been active in tracking down the seller yourself, and have used the mention of ACORN, etc.

That's good. Now is not the time to let the pressure off this seller, and you could truthfully tell the seller that if he returns your money, you will do the right thing with regard to him and the authorities. But he has to give back your money; until you've received a full refund, you will not be satisfied and will not stop pursuing him.

There is no need to say what the right thing is.

Message 41 of 43
Latest reply

zain5700
Community Member
He got scared and returned the money. I think this is sort of a new scamming trend for quick money for people of different backgrounds like in this case it was a student who came to Australia for studies. He returned my money and apologiesed. Ebay has yo update its policies and procedures if they want to be in Australia.
Message 42 of 43
Latest reply

What policies? The ones where they don't cover buyers if they gift money to sellers? Even when they specifically warn you that you won't be covered if you don't use a secure payment method?

It would not be unreasonable to expect buyers to heed such warnings, especially when outlaying $1750.

Message 43 of 43
Latest reply