All of eBay Australia should say "Seller away until after China New Year"

When searching for items and selecting "Australia Only" as the location option im still getting around 90% of items marked as "Seller is currently away until 12 of Feb 2019"
Are there more chinese sellers in Australia than in china mate.
China new year, pfft, they missed the boat, Jan 1 has been long and gone

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: All of eBay Australia should say "Seller away until after China New Year"

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Chinese New Year is 5th February.

Next you'll be telling us that the Jewish/Hebrew calendar has got the year wrong.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

so, when is new year to you pal????
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Pal??   Do I look like a 'pal'?

January 1st for me.

Do you think the Chinese like it when sellers here shut down for 2 weeks over Christmas/New Year?

Bit of give and take goes a long way.

So does tolerance.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@bjmonty28 wrote:
so, when is new year to you pal????

14 January at the moment. Or it would be if I was Orthodox.

New Year's Day is an arbitrary day, which doesn't relate in any calendar to any specific seasonal point in the year.

if we were logical, we would probably have it on 22 December, the first day (usually) after the solstice.

So why should our particular arbitrary day be imposed on the rest of the world, especially those parts that have consistently observed their day for far longer than we have ours? 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I didn't get the impression bjmonty was suggesting that our special dates should be imposed on the rest of the world.

He was just making a bit of an ironic comment about the fact that even though he was searching 'Australia Only' items, he was still finding 90% of the sellers were listed as 'away', presumably for Chinese new year. Which I have to admit, I would not expect to find either. In China, yes, but not so heavily with sellers based in Australia.

Same as I wouldn't expect 90% of sellers on Australian ebay to be off on holiday on 4th July, for example.

It got me curious, so I checked through the items I have in my own watch list. It's an extremely mixed collection of items, but all based in Australia.

I found with mine, the ratio was nowhere near 90%, mine was running at about 10%, if that. The surprise for me was which sellers they were, as I must admit I thought it might end up being the sellers of the cheaper mass produced kitchen type items, but it wasn't, it was one of the spice sellers.

I suppose it is going to come down to what particular items you happen to look at as there are some Australian Chinese sellers based here but overall, I don't think they make up the majority, or the quick look at my wish list doesn't seem to indicate that, anyway.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply