Are the listings checked and verified by Ebay???

I have purchased a ring that cost me around $450 which I will never get. Note how it says location North Richmond NSW??? In fact it is overseas somewhere within UK. They are thieves. They sent me a **bleep**y metal ring and now I am passed the due date for Ebay to step in and the seller is not responding to my messages because they clearly know I can't do anything about it. I can't even leave a negative feedback. No option for me. Is this fair?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If you paid by Paypal, open a case in their "resolution centre" however you may have to get a note from a jeweller certifying what the metal is, or the stones are.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Did you pay with PayPal? You could still open a case with them.

The seller is registered in Australia though. Strange they would send the item from the UK.

Ebay can't check all listings. They have bots that detect words, and listings can also be reported by users, but they only check listings if somebody reports them, as there are probably new listings every minute on eBay, so they cannot check them all.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

eBay is unable to check or verify over one billion listings.

You have/had 30 days after delivery to open a case for Item Not As Described... did you do this & follow all the steps?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

May I ask why you waited until it was too late?

You are an experienced buyer of 18 years, surely you know the basics like time limits to open and dispute and follow it through before it is too late ?

Your main concern seems to be you can't leave feedback, when it should be opening a PayPal dispute before it is too late for that also

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I suppose it is a bit like the hamburger you buy, looks nothing like the one in the professional photos used for advertising.

Very nice pro pics.  Seller registered in Australia with international partnerships as listed.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Your post has been moderated so I can't see any links to what you bought, but you asked if listings are checked or verified and is it fair you can't leave neg feedback.

No, listings are not checked and verified. There are some items you can buy on ebay where it will be authenticated (I think things such as some brand name sneakers or bags) but my understanding of that system is the seller sends them to an independent verification centre and from there, if all is well, they are sent on to the buyer.

I haven't bought those types of things but I imagine if they are going to be authenticated, it would say so in the ad. That would be a big selling factor.

Be aware that a lot of items on ebay (especially think Chinese items) are blatant fakes, so if you're spending a lot of money on something (or alternatively, see a big brand name at an unbelievably cheap price), probably best to steer clear. Some things are better bought at retail stores than on ebay.

As to what is fair-it isn't fair if the seller sent you anything other than what was in the ad. I have no way to judge that, I can't see the item or the ad. But if you buy anything that is very much not as described, you do need to take action within the time frame. You can open an ebay claim, but only within 30 days of ETA, I think it is.

You get 180 days if you paid via paypal so if that's the case, try with them.

Don't worry too much about feedback. 

It sounds as if you messaged the seller a few times & had no response. Never put up with that rubbish. Always look after your own interests if there is a problem, keep an eye on the dates and if the problem is not resolved quickly, just open an ebay claim. You don't need the seller's permission to do it.

But paypal is your best bet for now.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

123roubina - the screenshot was removed because the name of the seller was visible, and naming and shaming is not allowed on the board, but if you just share the item number it is OK/allowed, so those who didn't see the original screenshot can have an idea. 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Papermoon, the item number is 165096554976

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply