Auspost scam - ebay or Auspost security leak?

jim**77
Community Member

Every time I buy something with free postage on ebay.com.au, I receive a couple of days later a scam Auspost email demanding payment for postage before the item would be delivered. 

Do others have same experience?

Is there a security leak somewhere: ebay.au or Auspost? 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I constantly get demands for more payment from 'Australia Post' (scams)

Funny considering I have not bought anything

Are the emails you get indeed for postage for the actual item you bought or a generic demand for postage? 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

jim**77
Community Member

They are scams for sure. I ignored them and my items received without fail.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I know of the scam, but your posts suggests the emails you are getting are about the products you really have actually bought through eBay (and hence a security leak)

Which is why I asked if you could clarify if are the emails you are getting are indeed mentioning the exact items you bought which said free postage

Or if they are the generic demand for postage many people get from scammers?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

What sandypebbles means is that they often send generic emails so that you click on a link and give them your details. Quite often they don't even know if you have an eBay or an Amazon account or if you are even waiting for a parcel at all, but they just "try" in order to steal your details. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Could also be genuine messages, as   AP  has clamped right down on merchandise being shipped at letter rate.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I always get it only a few days after I occasionally buy an item on ebay. That's why I suspect security leak instead of phising.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply