Budding Sherlocks, any clues ?

Recently made a purchase of multiple cd's.

Paid, marked as sent, all good. Item 360861732783 (signed and 2 cracks at the bottom of case)

A week later receive a message from seller - 

Australia Post returned your item to me today and one of the items 'tempe di semente' was damaged. I have no idea why as nothing was said on the package.
I will resend today express and give you a refund for the damaged disc. I will also give you a freebie of your choice.

I reply with - That's fine, no need for freebie, accidents happen. Check the address and if the case is damaged , send the disc anyway even with damage.

Seller comes back with -

I wish it was just the case. I copy and paste the address to avoid these kind of issues but in this case it didn't work
Lucky they came back actually (well two at least) 
Same here really, I have sent thousands and it is rare they do not get to the destination unless the person has moved
Thanks for the understanding

So now I'm on the hunt for another one as I specifically wanted this music recently featured on PBS FM.

Great, found another from a different eBay seller. Purchased it, a little dearer but that's ok. Item 261616474313

This all happened today when I looked at the pic of the second one I purchased, gee, same signature on the front and same 2 cracks on the back.

Fantastic, I should message the first seller and tell them I found their cd. Wait a minute, something's not right..................

image host
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

My first thought was the first seller used the second seller's photos just to sell their item, but it's obvious they aren't the same photos at all. Seller B's listing (the second one you bought) is older, as well (they listed theirs back in October, while the first seller listed theirs in February). 

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

You are absolutely right in spotting that the photographs are of the same CD case.

My best guess is that seller1 has a retail shop or was selling this through another site, and seller2 bought the disc, then listed it on eBay for a higher price.

The story about the parcel being returned to seller1 and one of the discs being damaged does not make logical sense to me. In conjunction with the apparently damaged disc being listed for sale by another seller, with no mention of disc damage, inclines me to deduce (I'm using Sherlock-specific terminology here!) that seller1's story is not true. He sold the disc to seller2 way back when (October?), subsequently realising (when you purchased) that the CD was not there after frenzied searching for a week, told you a story as he was reluctant to simply say, "The CD isn't here, I may have sold it to someone else" (and I can understand that; "out of stock" chastisement by eBay is not something any seller want to incur), and refunded you for the amount of the CD. He was even happy to throw in any other disc (an offer you did not take up) to avoid letting you down (and to avoid an Item Not Received complaint).

If no red-headed men turn up to confuse the issue, I think it's solved.

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Yes, and I thought perhaps the same seller with different accounts but they are different locations.

I may have a little fun with this one getting the first seller to be honest.

Still haven't received the refund from the first.

I concur Countess. T'is the likely scenario without needing to consult Dr Watson.

image host
Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Oh, no refund? That's a red-headed man (metaphorically speaking).

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

T'was only today, so a refund may still be forthcoming. 

I shall runneth off and check the PP emails swiftly DG. (A good deduction)

image host
Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Did the PayPal payment go to the same name, or email address, by any chance? (I have different locations set between my two main stores - eBay lists my return address as the item location, which is in a neighbouring suburb, while I have it set to just Adelaide in my non-ebay store. But the same PP account and email address is used to receive payments from both). 

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Spoiler

The Mystery of the Corsican Disc

'Twas a dingy occluded day on the 23rd of May, with the sun peeping out in occasional festive moments. The Dane looked through the catalogue lying on the dusty counter in the Musick Shoppe, pursing his lips as he leafed passed many pages whose items held no interest for him.

Finally he sighed, and spoke. "Have you nothing from the wild region of Corsica?" he asked quietly.

"Corsica!" The man behind the counter seemed to jump slightly. "Why do you ask?" His eyes, slightly widened, darted to the closed music cabinet to one side, and then returned to the cool blue eyes of his Danish visitor.

"I have an interest in music from that area," replied the Dane calmly. He smiled slightly. "Come, man, surely as a purveyor of music from all over the world, you will have something along those lines."

"Something along those lines..." muttered the man. His large hands jerked involuntarily. He looked up abruptly. "You do not come from Corsica...?"

"I hardly think so," said the Dane, amused. "Perhaps my colouring may give a hint that I do not hale from those parts. No, it is merely ... an interest."

The man behind the counter did not allow his eyes to waver. "An interest."

"Yes, an interest." It was none of this man's business, thought the Dane, becoming slightly impatient, that he had heard the music of Corsica played in a recent concert, and become sufficiently impressed to seek out recordings for his highly select personal collection. For that matter, this little man with the large hands and protuberant dark eyes seemed strangely ill at ease...

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Different names, stores and locations.

I forgot, can't see seller's PP email addy's in PP anymore or email notifications.

Countess, I bow to thee fellow muse. Brilliant and beyond appreciation.

gent.png

image host
Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Busted! Please do have some fun with this, kopenhagen, and report back with the results! Smiley Happy

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 10 of 33
Latest reply