Budding Sherlocks, any clues ?

Recently made a purchase of multiple cd's.

Paid, marked as sent, all good. Item 360861732783 (signed and 2 cracks at the bottom of case)

A week later receive a message from seller - 

Australia Post returned your item to me today and one of the items 'tempe di semente' was damaged. I have no idea why as nothing was said on the package.
I will resend today express and give you a refund for the damaged disc. I will also give you a freebie of your choice.

I reply with - That's fine, no need for freebie, accidents happen. Check the address and if the case is damaged , send the disc anyway even with damage.

Seller comes back with -

I wish it was just the case. I copy and paste the address to avoid these kind of issues but in this case it didn't work
Lucky they came back actually (well two at least) 
Same here really, I have sent thousands and it is rare they do not get to the destination unless the person has moved
Thanks for the understanding

So now I'm on the hunt for another one as I specifically wanted this music recently featured on PBS FM.

Great, found another from a different eBay seller. Purchased it, a little dearer but that's ok. Item 261616474313

This all happened today when I looked at the pic of the second one I purchased, gee, same signature on the front and same 2 cracks on the back.

Fantastic, I should message the first seller and tell them I found their cd. Wait a minute, something's not right..................

image host
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

PayPal email addy's of course no longer show but you are right DG, if the names are different they are two different PayPal accounts anyway. One is male the other female.

OK all, received both packages today. From completely different areas of QLD.

One from Brisbane the other from Toowoomba.

First seller whom said CD arrived back damaged has put a $5 note in one of the CD's instead of a $3 refund.

That's nice of her and she also offered a free cd of my choice which I declined.

Maybe I should let it go at that and not even tell her I have her CD from another seller ?

Or should I assist in getting her to come clean eleviating any guilt she may carry ?

image host
Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

It would be nice to find out the details of how the mix-up came to be, and allowing her to be absolved of her sins does seem like the kind path to choose! 😄

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Left pos feedback and sent this message -

Received the 2 cd's today with the $5.
Thank you for that. I wondered why you hadn't refunded the missing cd but now I know.
And I guess refunds can trigger defects in eBay so makes sense.
I also found another seller selling the missing cd, actually it is the exact same cd as yours with the signature and the same two cracks on the rear of the crystal case.
So I am guessing you didn't actually have it returned damaged but perhaps too embarassed to say you don't have it. I understand, especially with many buyers quick to leave neg feedback these days. But a word of advice, always just tell it the way it is, less stress and can't come back to bite. Lucky I am an understanding person otherwise you could get some loon trashing your feedback and telling the whole story on facebook. Gotta be careful these days.
Anyway thanks for the cd's and I shall buy from you again if I see something I am looking for. All good.
Cheers,

She just left feedback and didn't respond to the message so mystery solved IMO.

image host
Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Bizarre, to be sure, but it sounds like, despite the fib and delay, the seller did ok in the end. It probably would have saved a lot of time and hassle if they'd been upfront about everything, and I can't condone a seller lying about it, but I can understand what motivates it (fear of a neg, fear of ebay defects etc Sellers have to go in to damage control mode when something goes wrong, and unfortunately, some panic and the "best" solution they arrive at is for the issue to appear to be someone else's fault entirely. Not the way I'd approach it, though). 

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Spoiler

The man behind the counter pushed his spectacles up over the bridge of his hawk-like nose. He leaned forward and spoke in a whisper. "Look, you can tell Saveriu that I don't know where it is. It's not here. Leave me alone - go!"

The Dane's eyebrows drew together. "What -?"

"Get out, leave! I don't have it, and nothing you do to me will make me say otherwise!" raged the man in a sudden fury, opening a drawer unnecessarily, purely for the relief it gave him to slam it shut. His cheeks tautened, and he came from behind the counter, wielding a pencil almost as though it were a knife. He checked at the politely amazed look on the tall Dane's face. "I am sorry, we are closed now," he said more quietly, still breathing roughly. He gestured towards the door. "I cannot help you."

The Danish man's face looked haughty and patrician. "You are certainly a rude fellow," he said lightly, "but if you wish to close at 3 in the afternoon and behave like a silly villain in a melodrama, that is entirely your affair." He straightened and walked towards the door. Shadows fell through the grille, laying a lattice upon the wooden floor. The sign which declared in curly red print that "We are closed" was facing inwards. One eyebrow quirked; the Dane put his hand on the brass door handle and turned. "Happy trading," he said ironically, and left the shop.

He felt bewildered and astonished; such behaviour was extraordinary! Perhaps the shop owner was suffering from some sort of mental illness - or was on ice. Drugs could make people do the most inexplicable things. Why, hadn't that terrible business of the car knocking over pedestrians in front of Flinders Street station been committed by someone in a drug-fuelled manic high? He sighed, and continued down the footpath towards his car. He pulled out his mobile phone, searching his contacts for Fransescu Poggioli, the man who had casually mentioned the shop in their last conversation at that flute recital.

"Fransescu? Hello - it's Aksel here. Yes, I hope I haven't disturbed you in the middle of something important. No? Good. No, I had the most bizarre experience just a few moments ago. You remember, we were talking about the music of Corsica, and you mentioned that you had a good contact who always provided you with excellent recordings? Well, I was just there - what do you mean, why? I was after a particular recording, that's why. No, I know you didn't say I should go to that shop, but - Fransescu, what do you mean? How have I put your life in danger-?"

The call ended abruptly. Aksel's face was no longer amused. He frowned down at his iPhone, and redialled, holding the phone up to his ear. Once, twice, three times, the dial tone rang. There was a click, then a recorded voice saying, "I'm sorry, the person you are calling is not available. Please leave a message--"

He tried again. Still no answer. No matter how he told himself that Fransescu was just playing some sort of silly joke, he could not still his unease. He remembered the firm at which Fransescu was a partner; a quick google later he had the main phone number and address, and he clicked onto the hyperlink to call.

The receptionist was pleasant but unhelpful. "Mr Poggioli has just left. Would you like me to leave a message for him to contact you when he returns?" she said.

"No, that's all right," he said slowly, and said goodbye.

His lips tightened. This was not funny, and once he caught up with Fransescu, he would say so. What he needed now was a cup of coffee; he looked to his right where a row of restaurants and coffee shops jostled vibrantly for attention. The background hum of the traffic was giving him a headache. In the distance, a car backfired. A woman came rushing out of a travel agent's, clutching a handful of brochures. Escape to La Gomera, pleaded one; Sunny Mallorca, your dream destination, shouted another. A Chinese couple stood holding strawberry ice cream cones. It was a brittle but sunny day in June...

Just as Aksel was waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green, he felt a sharp blow from behind, striking him with force on his left shoulder, pushing him headlong into the traffic...

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Spoiler
Continuity error. It wasn't June - it was May. Either that, or the Dane spent a very very very long time in that shop.
Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Man-Booker-Prize-Black.png

Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

I want to know the rest of the story!! I hate being left hanging without an explanation.
Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Kopenhagen, I nominate you to be the 2018 deciding judge for the prize.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

You are already the winner Countess. Smiley Very Happy

Here is an aside, looked at my selling items this morning and one item listed in the USA had around 30 views but this morning has over 45,000 views.

Anyone had this before ?

image host
Message 30 of 33
Latest reply