Can someone make a browser plugin that flags items that have alternate seller locations to item?

I think the community really needs something like this which would check the item you search up against the seller profile and flag if red if it's not the same country at all.

After ebay ignored users for years on something like this and just decided that showing the location was alright even tho sellers can list their items in entirely different countries without any sort of red flags popping up, I feel it's beyond ebay to fix this issue with their own site and indeed needs the help of a plugin by someone else to fix their massive problem.

I wouldn't care if it made my ebay searches much slower, at least it might be able to blacklist all the sellers and then remove them from the page i'm looking at?

I know this might lead to 10 pages of numbers only tho which means i could bump up search results to 100+ a page if able.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Can someone make a browser plugin that flags items that have alternate seller locations to item?

I agree it is an issue with some sales, I have struck it myself and it is plain dishonest.

It's annoying, it's unnecessary & ebay should do something about it because it isn't a factor on most other sites.

I don't think it matters much where the seller is but it does matter where the item is.  There is often a dead give away about those ads with a seller/item location discrepancy. And that is delivery time.

If an item is showing as located in Australia, there is no reason the delivery time between states and most places ( except isolated towns) should be any more than 2 weeks. Maybe the day will come when ebay will have to enforce something like this.  Of course there would have to be extensions of time for remote areas. Maybe sellers wouldn't be so quick to list their items as in Australia if they had to put their delivery time where their mouth is.

And for returns of any kind, if such an ad listed item location as Australia, return should need to be to Australia or seller forfeits the right to the item return.

I think this is the sort of way ebay is heading in any case-they seem to favour free postage, quick delivery, guaranteed returns & so on.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

Re: Can someone make a browser plugin that flags items that have alternate seller locations to item?

I still don't see why the pages cannot be set up by ebay to show 'item location' and 'seller registered in' on the same page

But then again, it seems to be the widely held opinion that buyers should not have to do anything at all, be it read the description fully,check the photos,check seller feedback is all just too much trouble (though I would have thought far less trouble than finding out the seller is long standing scammer in scammerville with 500 red dots since last month Woman Frustrated

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@enigmabearwrote:

I still don't see why the pages cannot be set up by ebay to show 'item location' and 'seller registered in' on the same page

But then again, it seems to be the widely held opinion that buyers should not have to do anything at all, be it read the description fully,check the photos,check seller feedback is all just too much trouble (though I would have thought far less trouble than finding out the seller is long standing scammer in scammerville with 500 red dots since last month Woman Frustrated

I totally agree. That is basic common sense and exactly what ebay should do.

I don't think it is a matter of labelling buyers as lazy, although i know some are & barely read ads, some even manage to have their smart phones buy things for them on the sly.Smiley Wink

But basic information about seller location & item location should be on the front page of the ad, if I can put it that way.

Just above or below price.

It's not just a matter of overseas items, it's also relevant in quite a few Australian sales. i got caught out once, made a bid on soemthing that was showing as a local suburb, only to realise pick up was in quite a different location so I withdrew my bid. Sure, it was my fault for missing that line in a long body of print but if it had had item location/seller location summarised near the price, i would have noticed it immediately.

People often sell for relatives or friends who are nowhere near their own location.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

How about this then?     Located in Australia.     I see it all the time.

location.PNG

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Darwin is definitely a red flag to me as it almost always means the item comes from China. I don't know how so many Chinese sellers can get away with it, as I have seen many complaints, but nothing has ever been done.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@enigmabearwrote:

It should actually be pretty easy to flag internationally registered sellers in search results, which would eliminate the rigamarole of opening a listing in order to open a seller's profile and check (it may not take long to do it once, but when you're searching for an item where location is an important factor, it's common to need to check through several, and even more difficult if the buyer is using a mobile to search. As much as mobiles seem a poor choice to use for shopping, it's largely to do with the fact that the app developers don't design them well enough and / or with end users in mind, and it does seem to be the way a significant percentage of consumers want to shop, so function should have followed trend by now, ideally). 

I suspect, though, if eBay did make the change onsite, the sellers who are determined to misrepresent item location would find a way around that, too, making it even more difficult for people to discern the liklihood of an item actually located in Aus, so it would be more useful as an optional third party plugin. 

There are some common giveaways that can be seen in search results, but they're obviously assumptions based on appearances and certainly not 100% reliable (then again, seller location vs item location isn't a 100% reliable indicator, either); eg you can usually skip over all the $1 free post stuff, sellers with around 5k+ FB and less that 99% as that can indicate common delivery problems / delays due to shipping outside of Oz, AU in the user name seems to be a lot more common with international sellers than Australian ones, (at least in the categories I search most often, since they tend to have identical or similar names across most sites and differentiate them by country like that), certain types of composite photos are more commonly used by international sellers (I mean the grid ones that just show products, sometimes 12+ in the one gallery image, all in equal size so you can't really get a good look at the items and need to open the listing, other sellers tend to like to highlight one product in a larger size and use some smaller pics to show that there are more options). 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@imastawkawrote:

How about this then?     Located in Australia.     I see it all the time.

location.PNG

I've seen it on a few ads but it's not on the majority in my watched item list.

I suppose it's good for those items where the seller is obviously overseas but I would still like to see a section near the price that says seller location:   plus item location:

The reason for that is what I mentioned before-item  location & seller location aren't always the same thing & item location is pivotal for pick up items. Located in Australia doesn't cut it for those.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply