Damaged item.

I have just recieved a damaged item. (large wall clock).  Total cost- $60 : ($30 for the clock + $30 postage)
The seller is stating that she is only willing to reimburse me for the price of the clock, not the postage, as she claims she would be out of pocket, even though I paid for it. The actual cost of postage was $18 but she say's the packaging cost her an additional $11. I highly doubt that as most of it seemed used but regardless, I paid for postage not her. She says that she is within her rights to do this according to Ebay rules but I can't find anything about it on the site.

My inital message to her was to let her know about the damage and provide photo's. I said that either I could send the item back for a full refund or she could refund me $40 and keep the other $20 so she doesn't completely lose out. I thought that was fair, she doesn't.

I paid by Paypal but have read quite a few posts saying that they don't cover damaged items so it's pointless trying to make a claim through them. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Damaged item.

If the seller pushes the point and you have to open INAD you will need to return the item at your cost as per paypal rules, so yes, taking a refund without having to return is most likely the best way to go.

In saying that, a decent seller would cover postage, (I most certainly would) so you can certainly make your feelings known in feedback (after you get the refund).

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I'm fine with paying for the return postage in exchange for a full refund (even though it will leave me out of pocket a little) but she doesn't seem to want the item back. She just wants to refund the price of the clock ( $30)  not the postage I paid, nor take up the offer of only repaying $40 and I keep the clock.....not that it is worth keeping as the glass is shattered, but I'm trying to be fair.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

The seller may be able to get a refund ,depending on how the seller sent it and who with.

Aust post refunds $50.00 for damaged items sent using unregistered and $100.00 using registered post.

I would be telling the seller to look into it (assuming that it got broken in the mail).

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

The item was sent by Australia Post- standard delivery.
Thank you for letting me know.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@donnao6703 wrote:

My inital message to her was to let her know about the damage and provide photo's. I said that either I could send the item back for a full refund or she could refund me $40 and keep the other $20 so she doesn't completely lose out. I thought that was fair, she doesn't.

The seller will be forced to refund the full amount of the original payment if you win a dispute (and you're more than likely to, despite what you might have read to the contrary), so technically the seller would actually be financially better off to at least provide a partial refund than allow it to get to the dispute stage, presuming they don't have specific reasons for preferring alternatives (many sellers will not provide a refund unless the item is returned first, which is their perogative and as GC says, most good sellers will reimburse all costs to the buyer, but there is nothing to oblige them to refund return P&H costs). 

If the seller provides a full refund, then the postage becomes their out of pocket expense because you haven't paid for it anymore, so I think that's what the seller meant by her being out postage costs if she refunds (not that that makes it all ok, just attempting to clarify where she might be coming from). 

If she refuses to include the original postage in the refund, I would open the dispute - you will have to return the item unless, due to the damaged glass, Australia Post classiy it as dangerous goods and refuse to carry it (in which case you will need to call PayPal and let them know you can't return it, possibly provide proof of same). But the way I figure it - accept $30 and be out $20, or pay (hopefully less than $20) the return postage and be out the cost of that. (In other words, it's likely returning will minimise your loss if it's less than $20, and maybe having to refund you in full will help the seller realise she had an opportunity for a better, relatively mutually beneficial resolution - and definitely a faster one that is unlikely to result in a defect recorded on her account. >_> )

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

No problems, all the info needed is here- http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/registered-post-lodgement-receipt.pdf

Copy and paste the link into your browser or click HERE

IMO- It would be best if Australia Post did the refunding to the seller and then the seller can refund you. After all it is Australia Post's stuff up so they should be paying, not the seller or you!

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

No problems, all the info that is needed is here- http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/registered-post-lodgement-receipt.pdf

IMO- It is Australia Post's fault so they should be paying, not the seller or you.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Thank you for clarifying the postage cost issue digital*ghost, I was trying to wrap my head around the logistics of it and couldn't see why she was claiming she was going to be out of pocket for it. ( I must be getting old haha). Anyway, I would much prefer to settle outside of a dispute lodgement, but I don't think the seller is feeling the same way. Not to worry, as you said, it may result in a lesson the seller needs to learn. If it falls my way that is ๐Ÿ˜•

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

This is not an Aust Post problem. The seller FAILED to package the clock properly.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply