EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Be aware ebay is wrongfully charging 10% GST on the  postage cost at checkout when buying from an international seller when buying on ebay Australia.GST should only apply to the item and NOT the postage costs 

Message 1 of 109
Latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

Re: EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Thanks Countess.....it would appear that the 25%-40% still applies.

I wonder if the exchange rate fluctuated suddenly when your pearls arrived here?

Or is it possible that it was after 1st July so Customs decided to add the fees because it was a large amount.

Or my previous thoughts.....someone made a mistake.  Smiley LOL

Message 61 of 109
Latest reply

Re: EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Well and truly before the 1st July - by some months!

The exchange rate - well, I know it's about as stable as a rocking horse on quicksand, but I am sure it didn't go as wide and wild as it would have needed to in order to make the item cost go over $1000.

Let's put it down to someone in Customs having made a mistake. I can certainly remember my surprise at being charged by them.

Message 62 of 109
Latest reply

Very well said.
Message 63 of 109
Latest reply

And erroneous.

Message 64 of 109
Latest reply

Ebay is not a postal service GST is already charged by Australia Post so postage has nothing to do with ebay as they don’t manufacture the stamps or employ someone to deliver the item 

Message 65 of 109
Latest reply

@jeds123 wrote:

Ebay is not a postal service GST is already charged by Australia Post so postage has nothing to do with ebay as they don’t manufacture the stamps or employ someone to deliver the item 

Correct. Sort of. eBay don't apply GST to sold item prices either. Domestically; imports are different.

eBay do, however, levy fees on the sale and postage costs, ie the total transaction, and charge GST (as they are legally obliged to) on those fees.

Message 66 of 109
Latest reply

Yes you are correct, GST is a goods and services tax but it should only be applied to goods and services consumed in Australia. GST can be applied to the goods that arrive in Australia (as they will be consumed in Australia) but postage is not consumed in Australia therefore the ATO has no real right to charge GST on postage. The postage in most cases will already include taxes for that country of departure for which you cannot claim back therefore it results in double taxation. I am pretty sure someone will challenge the ATO on this decision sonner or later. 

Message 67 of 109
Latest reply

Sheesh.........................postage is a SERVICE.

And I'm certain that anyone challenging that with the ATO will be laughed at for being a numpty.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 68 of 109
Latest reply

@wasou_94 wrote:

Yes you are correct, GST is a goods and services tax but it should only be applied to goods and services consumed in Australia. GST can be applied to the goods that arrive in Australia (as they will be consumed in Australia) but postage is not consumed in Australia therefore the ATO has no real right to charge GST on postage. The postage in most cases will already include taxes for that country of departure for which you cannot claim back therefore it results in double taxation. I am pretty sure someone will challenge the ATO on this decision sonner or later. 

If you are so sure the ATO is wrong why leave it to "someone else" to challenge the ruling?

Be proactive and start the ball rolling.   I am sure there will be numerous lawyers falling over themselves to take your case.

Message 69 of 109
Latest reply

@wasou_94,

Rights ... well, there are rights that we are accustomed in this day and age to think of as being inalienable.

Philosophical musings upon rights and laws

Spoiler

In the western world, we generally think of rights as including the right to live, the right to do so in freedom, without torture; the right to sufficient and nutritious food; the right to education; the right to medical care; the right to be able to buy and sell property; the right to conduct business; the right to a defence in law; the right to marry or not marry as one pleases; and so on.

In China, the rights of the individual are not as centric to the general consciousness, which is more focused on social responsibility.

The rights of a government should (and I'm making a moral judgement here by using the word "should") be based upon natural moral law, with regard to social ethics for communities. But another person can disagree and, if s/he has the power and authority to do so, can eradicate such rights under government, setting new laws based upon whatever considerations that government may please.

What some will consider rights may conflict with law in some areas. But then, humans do not agree and have not agreed upon what rights one has; hence there are yet philosophers and campaigners and activists and dreamers, the world over. But - and I may be wrong - I doubt that GST on overseas postage is one of the great burning eternal questions.

Under Australian law, it is now lawful (and indeed, required by law) for Australian consumers purchasing low-value goods from overseas to be charged GST upon both the item cost and the shipping cost. There's always been a lot of confusion about GST in Australia, with some putting forward the argument that postage in Australia doesn't have GST slapped on top of it, or second-hand goods being exempt from GST, and such-like arguments.

In fact, postage in Australia does include GST. It's just that we're probably not consciously aware of it, because (of course) the postage cost is GST-included. It must be GST-inclusive because of the way in which the legislation set up how prices must be displayed by Australian businesses. When we buy from overseas sellers where the low-value imported goods GST is payable, we can't help but be aware of it, because the shipping/postage price is (naturally) GST-exclusive, since the GST is only applied once the transaction is established to require the GST to be charged. (That is, buyer's address established to be in Australia; total cost of the order established to be below $1000; goods not being purchased by business registered for GST for business purposes, etc.)

Re second-hand goods -

Spoiler
I'm not quite sure why people do think that second-hand goods are exempt from GST. Certainly when buying from a private seller (consumer-to-consumer transaction), there is no GST to be paid. This applies whether the item is new or second-hand. If for example I buy a Breville espresso machine which has a Smart Grinder with it, but I already have a Smart Grinder (purchased separately) and don't need the included Smart Grinder, I can sell that - new, never used - to someone else, and there's no question of GST being involved since I'm not a seller of coffee machines or electrical goods.

Message 70 of 109
Latest reply