EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

Be aware ebay is wrongfully charging 10% GST on the  postage cost at checkout when buying from an international seller when buying on ebay Australia.GST should only apply to the item and NOT the postage costs 

Message 1 of 109
Latest reply
108 REPLIES 108

EBAY is wrongly charging GST ON postage,GST only applies to the item price and not postage

@bidder_57 wrote:
Ooop took too long to edit.
It is the same as Import Duty.

GST should only charged for g/s originating here in Australia.

Vat comes out of what we pay to UK merchants.

They should call it for what it is, an import duty.

And it only really goes to point out how much of a grab it is and been for all these years to importers. Charging money on things that do not originate from here in Australia.

I don't have a problem paying GST for g/s here in Aus but being charged for by Australia for a service that is provided in another country is not right. It might be the law but still not right. (They need to look at the waste and corruption here in Australia before taxing/penalising(?) people on services that are provided by business' in other countries. It's like sitting in a tavern you don't own and charging people for walking in or out of a door. Or the crusaders charging protection money to the pilgrims (in many cases from the crusaders themselves if they did not pay. lol)

GST should only charged for g/s originating here in Australia.

Great, as the Majority of items are originally imported,  no more GST at all.  Mr Slow Mo is going to be really peeved

Vat comes out of what we pay to UK merchants.

UK  Merchants are not required to remitt  VAT,  on items that are sold Internationally and are therefore  VAT exempt.

Message 21 of 109
Latest reply

If they could add GST to the GST, these government scammers would...
Message 22 of 109
Latest reply

Please enlighten us all oh holy ATO expert?
Message 23 of 109
Latest reply

@c_mount wrote:
Please enlighten us all oh holy ATO expert?

Maybe worzle or b4 can enlighten you c_mount.......................oh hang on, you might be talking to yourself then.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 24 of 109
Latest reply

If you think GST should be applied for postage then you people are so dumb.

GST should not be charge on postage for buying items overea, fullstop.

Why? I'll give you an example, say if I went oversea and brought home items that more than the tax duty threshold, ofcourse I'll have to pay GST for the extra. Say $1000 - $400 = $600 so I'll have to pay $60 GST. But I don't have to pay 10% of my (say $1500) air fare do I ?

This an ebay scam. That's why ebay separated the cost of the prurchase +shipping then they charge GST as a separate item.

This is just to confuse people.Imagine that it is the same as you go to a restaurant and at the till, after pay, you get two separate bills, one for your meal & one for the GST.

BTW, someone claimed postage is service hence GST charged. Hello !!!! , postage was paid to oversea courrier not Australia Post.

Are you saying that every time you get an oversae letter, you forked out and pad 10% GST for the letter's postage? That's why I call you guys dumbells if you think GST should be charge for postage.

Message 25 of 109
Latest reply

SEPTEMBER

Message 26 of 109
Latest reply

@pnnatyabe,

If you'd like make an appointment to see the Federal Parliament, and tell them "Hello !!! You're dumbbells! I don't think postage is service! And why aren't you charging me 10% on my airfare every time I buy something while on a trip overseas?", it would be interesting to hear what sort of response you receive.

GST on low value imported goods > Information for consumers

Direct from the ATO: "GST will also generally apply to shipping or insurance connected with the purchase."

Argue with the ATO about it. If people here use the word "should" in reference to paying GST on the postage/shipping component of a low value imported item, they mean that it is being charged under the legislation. There is no avoiding it. No amount of getting upset by it, or posting that GST shouldn't be charged on these items "fullstop", will make any difference. No one here - as far as I'm aware - is making a moral case for its being charged, only pointing out that it is going to be charged and that it's legislated.

Message 27 of 109
Latest reply

So we are dumb!!   That is rich coming from someone making their first post on the boards.

I sincerely hope you never come here asking for help from the experienced members who have been labelled dumb.   You may find we are not dumb enough to answer you.

Message 28 of 109
Latest reply

@c_mount wrote:
If they could add GST to the GST, these government scammers would...

I 100% agree.

Also, I can see the day c_mount that one brother buying a lawnmover from his older brother who has now moved to a unit complex will have to pay GSTon that transaction.

Message 29 of 109
Latest reply

If the brother who is selling the lawnmower is a registered business with a turnover of $75000 in a year then you are right.....the other brother will indeed pay GST.

Message 30 of 109
Latest reply