EBay Money Back Guarantee not reliable?

Hi,

I bought a model car on 5 June and paid through PayPal in the same day.. The next day the seller marked the model as shipped so I asked for the tracking number. He said he'll give it later that day. I didn't receive it and for the next couple of days made lame/"unbelievable" excuses that convinced me that he wasn't planning on selling the car model..This prompted me to ask for a refund for item not received. He issued a PayPal echeck which later didn't go through.. I contacted Ebay on 19 June and told me that I'll receive the refund in 1-2 days..I didn't receive the refund and I contacted Ebay again 24 June and I received the same promise of refund..At this time, I'm still waiting for the refund..To be honest I'm losing confidence on EBay Money Back guarantee..Any Advice? Do I need to ask PayPal to intervene? Or wait for EBay? Thanks in advance..
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Did you open an eBay case or PayPal case ?

image host
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

As kopenhagen said, you need to go through the correct process, opening a claim and then responding in the Resolution Centre as soon as something is asked of you.

If you've already done that, I am really puzzled about why you wouldn't have received the refund quickly.

How did you contact eBay? Was it by the "Have us call you" option? This is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

Weโ€™re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

Assuming you've gone through all of the correct steps (as in, you have opened the case under eBay's MBG - in the Resolution Centre - under Item Not Received), read the following:

Spoiler

During the call with eBay, make sure you take notes - name of eBay rep, date and time of conversation, substance of call, etc. Record the call as per this post if necessary (ensuring you have the agreement of the other person). Give a timeframe such as 48 hours (it's up to you what an acceptable timeframe is), by which time you want to have received the refund. Be polite and courteous throughout the entire conversation.

If you don't get a satisfactory outcome within the stated timeframe, call PayPal Customer Service.

1800 073 263 (toll free)
+61 2 8223 9500

Go to this page (https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/contact-us) for your one-off passcode.
[You'll be asked to enter this unique code on the phone.)

Customer Service hours

6am to 10pm AEST Monday to Friday
8am to 7pm AEST Saturday and Sunday

Again, take notes or record the call. Once again, politely give a timeframe. Explain (politely in a non-threatening way) that if you don't receive the refund to which you're entitled within that time, you will lodge a dispute with the Financial Ombudsman (FOS).

If you do have to go to the lengths of actually lodging a dispute, you will have to name PayPal when lodging, because PayPal is a member of the FOS. You'll need to have gone through these preliminary steps beforehand to add substance to your dispute, and to have detailed evidence to hand, to which you will refer in your dispute.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I opened the case in ebay and the EBay CS told me that they ruled in my favour..Two times they said that I will receive my refund in 1-2 days but I haven't received my refund. I assume that the seller didn't have funds in his bank account to fund his PayPal echeck refund. I don't know why are they (Ebay) making this hard for me.. Thanks for the reply
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I had an online chat with EBay CS..He told me that they tried doing a manual refund but it was unsuccessful due to an error..He said they will try again and I have to wait for at least 5 days.. So far they tried at least 2 manual 'force refunds and now they will do another one.. Probably it's best to try other things.. Why can't EBay just refund me and reimburse the seller since they already many times to refund me? I told him (Ebay CS) that the "dodgy" seller won because EBay has been having a hard time getting the money from him and wasting my time.. I can't believe that Ebay's Money back guarantee is just a marketing ploy (at least for me)..Sorry about my rant, I still can"t believe that I still don't have my refund inspite of EBay ruling in my favour... Probably I'll just ask PayPal to intervene..
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Can you post again once you have received your refund? It would be good to be certain you've received the refund you were promised.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Yes I will post here once I've received the refund.. I'm planning to purchase some items in ebay but this issue is holding me back...
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I am under the impression that once you open an Ebay case you can no longer open a PayPal dispute (and vice versa).

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

I am under the impression that once you open an Ebay case you can no longer open a PayPal dispute (and vice versa).

If you open an eBay case you can close it and go to a Paypal dispute, but if you first open a Paypal dispute you can't go back to an eBay dispute.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Still no refund from Ebay but instead I received a message from them that they're having trouble refunding into my PayPal account.. I contacted PayPal and receive a confirmatuon that my account has no problem and can receive funds...The question is why can't/won't EBay refund me? I would understand if I was the seller in the transaction since it is generally known that EBay is pro-buyer...It seems now that EBay also makes the lives of buyers harder now.. What is the Ebay Money Back Guarantee for?
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply