Ear-Ring Joke or Not

G'Day People, On the 2nd December I paid for a set of oval Garnet ear- rings as a present cost $139.00 plus postage.

I messaged the seller and asked if they were posted as Ebay showed they were not posted and there was no tracking number.

I was told they they were posted the Saturday before Christmas and I should receive them Monday or Tuesday '

They arrived today 30/12/13.

I was annoyed and left negative feedback.

When the package was opened we found rectangular not oval ear rings were sent, the oval was listed in the Ebay listing.

Checking through the seller's feedback showed a smaller rectangular set sold previously listed at $79.00 that are a direct copy of what I received instead of the larger oval type for $139.00.

I feel very disgusted at the way this sale has gone and I am not happy about the deception.

It seems they never had what they listed and sent a substitute instead.

Is this acceptable.

Thanks for your advise Gazza

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Ear-Ring Joke or Not

tstore
Community Member
If you have the original packaging, you should be able to hopefully get the tracking id (there should be a label). This way you can definitely see if it was sent when it was meant to be sent.

Just go through PayPal and escalate it. Return to the address as listed in PayPal. Pretty straight forward claim.
Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Hi, Thanks for your reply. This sounds logical and good advise.

Great New Year.

Gazza

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

Hi, Thanks, It came in in yellow express pre paid satchel and the senders details were not completed.

It has 241849425061 above a bar code in bottom left hand corner.

Thanks for your response.

Happy New Year to you.

Gazza

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Hi Tstore,

Thanks for your reply. I will file a dispute with Paypal.

To me there is a significant difference. The oval earrings match her pendant [ bought some time ago] however the rectangular shaped ones do not. And to repeat myself the oval set was $139.00 and the rectangular were previously listed at $79.00 +shipping on both.

I would have prefered to be sent an email saying "We do not have this item available now, would you like a refund or wait until it is in stock."

Rather than a cheaper substitution being mailed late with no explanation.

Best Wishes for the New Year.

Gazza

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Hi Gazza

With the tracking ID provided, it was sent on the Saturday before XMas however 4815 postcode is outside the express network hence why 30th December was the next available day for Aust Post to deliver

Just upload the photos of the item you received including the packaging so that a PayPal rep can see the difference between what you received and what you purchased and escale to a claim. PayPal will then review and then you will receive an email including the address to ship the item back. Send via registered post and upload the tracking number. You can then call payPal straight away without having to wait for the item to reach the seller and PayPal should refund you there and there when you are on the phone with them (they did for me this year)
Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

No need for photo.
Just open claim in PP and escalate. That will end all communication with seller.
PP will give dispute in your favour and advise you the address to return item and you will be asked to send with online tracking ( registered post ).
Done deal.
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Registered Post has been replaced by Signature On Delivery (SOD), but is essentially much the same thing with a different name. The service costs an additional $2.95 and includes insurance cover of up to $100, with extra cover available (at an extra cost, of course).

Returning the item with on-line tracking (SOD) is actually for your benefit, not the seller's, so he/she can't tell Paypal that the item never arrived and must have 'gone astray in the mail', so don't be tempted to save $2.95 by not including SOD.
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

tkyoung75
Community Member

It is a pity that you could not wrap the present for christmas. This is a risk of online commerce, and being so late to organise for Christmas. If you had have been organised you would have had enough time to get another present as substitute.

On the subject of the deception / mistake, a similar thing happened to me. I wonder if it is a mistake, or a straight out deception based on the gamble that the average purchaser might just nibble on the email a couple of times and give up. I didn't I sent the earings back, by express registered mail. Fedex, and changed a part of the order. Ended up buying more but was happier (well my wife was happier) with the upgrade. Cant remember who ended up paying for that fedex, but it was small in comparison to the price of the jewellery, and they had to resend at no cost. **bleep** ringaround finding them too, over in the states, you never know if they are going to get back to your emails but once its reported to the authorities in their country things seem to move along nicely.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

I don't feel the buyer was necessarily disorganised or late. Paying for an Australian item on 2nd Dec, where it said item would be posted within 2 days should have ensured it was there well before Christmas. Even if it took 3 weeks it should have been there in time.

As for being given an item that was half the price. I would be livid too because unless this person did their homework and had looked at other items, they may never have realised this.

Do what the others here suggest, return the item with tracking and put in a lcaim for a full refund. And leave your negative rating stand. Sending out a half price item so  late is beyond acceptable.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

OP, what you need is an 'earing aid.

Joke, or not?

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply