Ebay allowing sellers to misrepresent item location

Let's have a chat about the elephant in the room which is sellers that are based in CHINA and have every single item for sale described as Located in Australia, usually with something like "Free Express Post from Sydney, Australia"

Ebay has a very clear policy on MISREPRESENTING ITEM LOCATION

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

NOT ALLOWED "Giving an incorrect item location. For example, indicating that the item is in the U.S. when it is actually being shipped from China."

Shipping. 3 WEEKS. Item not correct? Go to return it and you get A CHINESE ADDRESS. No english any way shape or form. You go to message the seller for an Australian return address and it says in a big red messsage "THIS SELLER IS REGISTERED ON ANOTHER EBAY AND MAY NOT SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE".

Ebay's official responce? I have it right here. This is a snippet from an email exchange.

Ebay:

"I understand your concern regarding this transaction especially that the seller is registered in a different country. Please know that there are seller's who's registration address in another country but has a warehouse of supplier in Australia. Based on the listing description, the item is located in Sydney. Further as per tracking number, the delivery was processed by Australia Post and they've received it on the 18th of October."

EBAY is allowing sellers based 100% in CHINA with NO BUSINESS in Australia, including being REGISTERED in another country - other than SHIPPING THERE FROM CHINA. 

And ebay defend it by saying "oh but theres a warehouse supplier in Australia". Certainly not of anything I've ever ordered. Then they try and make it out like it DID come from within Australia - because it used Australia Post! WELL THE CHINESE POSTMAN ISNT GOING TO CATCH A PLANE HERE AND DELIVER IT, IS HE?

By the way, my response to that reply was: "Ordered and paid for on the 7th of October. SORTED through Australia post on the 18th (tho my tracking shows sorted on the 21st)  - but let's use the 18th. That is still a bit more than 2 days handling time as stated in the ad."

ANOTHER SELLER has thousands of positive feedback (96%) but into the THOUSANDS of neutral and negative. Every second item, if it wasnt about the poor quality, is that item location was LIED ABOUT. Mine said free express post from Sydney. Another user said his ad said free express post from Victoria. In every single negative/neutral feedback that mentions it - even a LOAD of the positive ones - the seller says "oh we do actually ship from australia, a lot." Clearly not.

When is ebay going to STOP ALLOWING chinese sellers to LIE about item location? Probably never.

Today some chinese seller said "sorry for inconvinience (lying to you about item lcoation) - ill give $1 for you to revise feedback" I got my dollar back and revised the feedback. I revised it with follow up to make it clear the seller lies about item location. lmfao I am glad Amazon is here and I hope they take a big chunk out of the HOLE ebay has become. I'm happy to buy cheap **bleep**. But I need a lot of stuff faster than 3 weeks. And when I get it and its wrong, get a chinese return address? Then point out to ebay thier own policy and they say that that its okay, only SOME stuff they send is from china.

Ebay has been riding this wave for too long and I cant wait for it to crash - soon

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

A lot of that post makes sense Tippy.....pity it is unreadable because of the lack of paragraphs.

Message 21 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay used to be fun to sell through, and always a bargain to find. Now I won’t sell any more because of the ridiculous charges. There are rarely great items (second hand or new) from Australian people. It’s over run by Chinese sellers or shops now. Just went through it with a purchase located in Oz. Never came, I said I would report and it was suddenly sent express mail. I’m done with it now. If it states located in China or Hk and something I want fair enough, it’s the damn lies I’m sick of. Not to mention the begging for good feedback. Twice I have put negative feedback over the years and both times it was removed??
Message 22 of 74
Latest reply

mmdgas
Community Member
Same problem sydney item but back to china for warranty,ebay said they would look into it i wouldnt hold my breath.
maybe boycott ebay ??
Message 23 of 74
Latest reply

Why on earth would you think you would get an enforceable warranty from

a Chinese seller?

Not a chance in hell, sorry.

As stated before, look at a seller's feedback page and that will tell you where they are registered.

The item will most likely come from there.

Message 24 of 74
Latest reply

I don't imagine ebay will be all that worried about you boycotting them.....if they even know.

Message 25 of 74
Latest reply

eegebadi
Community Member
So totally agree! Look I have nothing against China stores but I would prefer to support local business, plus would prefer to not wait for 4-13weeks for my purchases.
Message 26 of 74
Latest reply

RE: EBay not vetting suppliers, allowing misrepresentation of item location.

Absolutely agree.

Ebay also now also allowing far too much "junk" to be sold, and some of it is clearly fraudulent.

I  have had two items delivered this week which were junk, with one being a complete fraud.

All out of China.

EG: Listed tail light for Mercedes, "guaranteed to fit model". 

Item arrived, looks same, start to fit and find that although the ends fit, the middle is actually 5mm too thick, and thus could NEVER be fitted without modifying the vehicle.

I cannot be the first to complain that this item is a dud.

They suggest post back, but once item fitment has started, cannot be removed without breaking item to extract it (because fitment clips are single use).

Ebay does not allow negative feedback, so naturally ALL sellers get reasonable ratings.

Finding that better to go for sellers away from Ebay and deal directly with real businesses.

Any wonder Amazon is picking up business.

Message 27 of 74
Latest reply

Ebay does not allow negative feedback, so naturally ALL sellers get reasonable ratings

Not true.   Chinese sellers, for the most part, have atrocious feedback.

Did you read the seller's feedback before you bought?

Buy Chinese - expect junk.

Message 28 of 74
Latest reply

I ALWAYS read a sellers feedback if its 99% or under,
One of Ebay's "Notorious" original wack jobs!
Rarely Seen, Rarely Heard, Im silent, you wont ever know im there!
Message 29 of 74
Latest reply

@ereal666 wrote:
Ebay also now also allowing far too much "junk" to be sold, and some of it is clearly fraudulent.

I  have had two items delivered this week which were junk, with one being a complete fraud.

All out of China.

EG: Listed tail light for Mercedes, "guaranteed to fit model". 

Item arrived, looks same, start to fit and find that although the ends fit, the middle is actually 5mm too thick, and thus could NEVER be fitted without modifying the vehicle.

I cannot be the first to complain that this item is a dud.

They suggest post back, but once item fitment has started, cannot be removed without breaking item to extract it (because fitment clips are single use).

Yes, there is junk on eBay. Yes, there are fraudulent items on eBay. eBay is not the seller, but rather it is an electronic distribution platform (EDP) - an online marketplace on which sellers sell items under eBay's terms and conditions.

eBay don't police each listing. There are without question some fraudulent sellers. Quite a lot of the advice given on the Buying board here is to help buyers who've bought something where fraud of some sort is involved. eBay have an Avoiding seller fraud page, but even though eBay talks about zero tolerance for fraud, that's sheer flimflam. They don't put in the resources to properly deal with fraud; they don't have processes in place for proper investigation; and perhaps the most obvious problem is that eBay don't have the ability and authority to address fraud in most cases with sellers registered in China (because of China's very different approach and legislation concerning IP).

That means that buyers must be diligent in checking for the warning signs of a fraudulent listing. (See this post for details.)

@ereal666 wrote:
Ebay does not allow negative feedback, so naturally ALL sellers get reasonable ratings.

Have you perhaps confused allowable feedback for buyers with allowable feedback in general? Buyers can certainly give negative feedback. The last negative feedback you gave to a seller was more than a year ago, so it's possible that you haven't tried to leave a negative in the interim but have heard that sellers can't give negative feedback... To clarify, buyers on eBay can only have positive feedback now (if they are only buyers), because sellers can only give positive feedback or no feedback. Buyers, however, can still give positive, neutral, negative or no feedback. 

Spoiler
Negative feedback ratingseller returned payment advising through pay pal, no communication to buyer     Seller: {seller's eBay ID} (Yellow shooting star icon for feedback score in between 10,000 to 24,999)

Hence, "ALL sellers get reasonable ratings" is very much not the case.

@ereal666 wrote:

Finding that better to go for sellers away from Ebay and deal directly with real businesses.

That's certainly an option. As long as you exercise due diligence in buying from individual businesses, and pay by credit card or via PayPal, you have some good protection in the event of a problem, addressed in the allowed timeframes. For the record, I buy from a number of online businesses all over the world; I look for good quality, good service, good range, and am usually more than satisfied.

@ereal666 wrote:
Any wonder Amazon is picking up business.

Amazon globally is astonishingly successful, but their Australian store is astonishingly underwhelming. They have neither the range nor the prices to tempt me with anything so far, in stark contract to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk., amazon.it, amazon.es, amazon.fr, amazon.de, etc. (Well, amazon.es has a smaller range than I'd hoped, but así es la vida.)

While it's possible that amazon.com.au will balloon - and I know that some are predicting that it will do so within about... what? 7 or so years? - so far it has failed to impress and it hasn't made the anticipated dint in Australian retail shops, thank God. I do know that the very last thing I want is for shops owned by Australians, run by Australians, etc., to become chalk powder under the foot of Amazon.

Message 30 of 74
Latest reply