Ebay allowing sellers to misrepresent item location

Let's have a chat about the elephant in the room which is sellers that are based in CHINA and have every single item for sale described as Located in Australia, usually with something like "Free Express Post from Sydney, Australia"

Ebay has a very clear policy on MISREPRESENTING ITEM LOCATION

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

NOT ALLOWED "Giving an incorrect item location. For example, indicating that the item is in the U.S. when it is actually being shipped from China."

Shipping. 3 WEEKS. Item not correct? Go to return it and you get A CHINESE ADDRESS. No english any way shape or form. You go to message the seller for an Australian return address and it says in a big red messsage "THIS SELLER IS REGISTERED ON ANOTHER EBAY AND MAY NOT SPEAK YOUR LANGUAGE".

Ebay's official responce? I have it right here. This is a snippet from an email exchange.

Ebay:

"I understand your concern regarding this transaction especially that the seller is registered in a different country. Please know that there are seller's who's registration address in another country but has a warehouse of supplier in Australia. Based on the listing description, the item is located in Sydney. Further as per tracking number, the delivery was processed by Australia Post and they've received it on the 18th of October."

EBAY is allowing sellers based 100% in CHINA with NO BUSINESS in Australia, including being REGISTERED in another country - other than SHIPPING THERE FROM CHINA. 

And ebay defend it by saying "oh but theres a warehouse supplier in Australia". Certainly not of anything I've ever ordered. Then they try and make it out like it DID come from within Australia - because it used Australia Post! WELL THE CHINESE POSTMAN ISNT GOING TO CATCH A PLANE HERE AND DELIVER IT, IS HE?

By the way, my response to that reply was: "Ordered and paid for on the 7th of October. SORTED through Australia post on the 18th (tho my tracking shows sorted on the 21st)  - but let's use the 18th. That is still a bit more than 2 days handling time as stated in the ad."

ANOTHER SELLER has thousands of positive feedback (96%) but into the THOUSANDS of neutral and negative. Every second item, if it wasnt about the poor quality, is that item location was LIED ABOUT. Mine said free express post from Sydney. Another user said his ad said free express post from Victoria. In every single negative/neutral feedback that mentions it - even a LOAD of the positive ones - the seller says "oh we do actually ship from australia, a lot." Clearly not.

When is ebay going to STOP ALLOWING chinese sellers to LIE about item location? Probably never.

Today some chinese seller said "sorry for inconvinience (lying to you about item lcoation) - ill give $1 for you to revise feedback" I got my dollar back and revised the feedback. I revised it with follow up to make it clear the seller lies about item location. lmfao I am glad Amazon is here and I hope they take a big chunk out of the HOLE ebay has become. I'm happy to buy cheap **bleep**. But I need a lot of stuff faster than 3 weeks. And when I get it and its wrong, get a chinese return address? Then point out to ebay thier own policy and they say that that its okay, only SOME stuff they send is from china.

Ebay has been riding this wave for too long and I cant wait for it to crash - soon

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Ebay allowing sellers to misrepresent item location

They are allowing false advertisement. Companies that are actually based in Australia could be sued for this. Maybe should look into it and seek legal advice as it would be actually affecting Australian businesses using the app.. i try looking for Australia based items so I can have them quicker and only to fall victim to waiting 2 to 3 months for a item to arrive. And if it arrives, it's damaged and get offered a 10% refund. It's a joke and ebay allows it 

Message 71 of 74
Latest reply

I totally agree. I have been asking the sellers if they are actually located and post from their said addresses here in Australia, often no response. It seems pathetic that ebay allows this but when one considers that ebay gets a transaction fee of every sale ………….. well need i say more , pathetic and unethical. 

Message 72 of 74
Latest reply

It is easy enough today, as it was FIVE years ago, to determine where a seller is located. You have been on eBay for the best part of 2 decades, and on the boards for more than 1 decade.

Is there any particular reason why you have bumped an old thread to show your lack of awareness? Pathetic seems to cover it.

Message 73 of 74
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 74 of 74
Latest reply