Ebay gift voucher

I have recenlty used a ebay gift voucher of $10. I made a purchase using the the gift voucher and the voucher was not honoured due to "techinal difficulties". Pay Pal did reimburse $10 cash into my account. However, I have just found out that my bank has charged me a $9 dishonour fee due to the purchase. I only had enough money in my account to cover the ebay purchase with the $10 gift voucher. Because the paypal account is set up directly to my bank account the bank honored the purchase and now have charged me the $9 dishonour fee.

If my gift voucher was to work as intended by paypal I would not have the problem mentioned above.

I would like paypal to reimburse me for the banks $9 dishonour fee.

I need help please.

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay gift voucher

@curraone wrote:

I have recenlty used a ebay gift voucher of $10.

the voucher was not honoured due to "techinal difficulties".

Pay Pal did reimburse $10 cash into my account.

my bank has charged me a $9 dishonour fee due to the purchase

so.... You are $1 in front?

That's how i read it.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

I know sorry Curraone I still haven't got the hang of replying to the first post instead of the last.
Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

This wouldn't happen to be your 3rd ID, would it?

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

The saga is finished

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Paypal-dispute-filed-Is-this-person-for-real/m-p/1761651#U17...

I gather many of you will have foot in mouth problem!

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

Not PayPal's or the sellers fault you didn't have enough money in your account. If things are that tight, maybe you shouldn't be buying on eBay. Welcome to the party!

I can't believe you are happy to give a seller a defect and risk his selling privileges due to your own problem. Very lame.

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

Yes it was, I had enough to cover the purchase with the voucher. If the voucher had worked none of this would of happened. 

It has nothing to do with my financial situation. 

Maybe you should understand consumer rights, it is the law or do you think as a ebay seller you're above it?

It the same as a multiple car accident, do you know who uses who?

Do your home work!

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

@better-investment-than-shares wrote:

The saga is finished

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Paypal-dispute-filed-Is-this-person-for-real/m-p/1761651#U17...

I gather many of you will have foot in mouth problem!

Really not... I'm sorry, but a PayPal dispute is there to indicate you had a problem with the seller, it's how eBay takes it, it's how PayPal takes it, and it's how the seller takes it. The seller could have just sent the item, showed to PayPal they sent it, and the dispute would have then been ruled against you. You opened an item not received dispute, indicating that the seller needed to do something about a problem, but the problem was not with the seller... Also, did you know there's an option on eBay to send the seller a message, and ask them to cancel the transaction? That is the option you need to use when that is what you wish to do.

If you need to dispute or contest something PayPal or eBay did (or didn't) do, opening disputes against the seller is not the way to go, and that's why so many people took exception to the action - and would have whether the seller copped a defect from eBay or not. Which they will, because now, in eBays eyes, the seller did something wrong, and that will affect their standing on eBay, listing rankings, and has the potential to cause other trouble for them. 

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

the seller operates under ebay and pays ebay a fee for the privlige, the seller accepts payment via paypal services. If seller is not happy with what has happened they have every right to take it up with whoever they want.

The seller accepts the terms and conditions to which they may trade under ebay and also accepts the terms and conditions to use paypal services...................................I do to as a buyer.........................regardless if "you" think its lame, wrong or right..............it is what comsumer law states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

What is your actual point? You can't just throw out "consumer law" and expect that everyone will go, oh yes, that's a good point, because you need to give context to it. 

First of all, I have a pretty good understanding of most aspects of consumer law, maybe not the really complicated stuff, but as a consumer and business owner, I've had plenty of first-hand experience as well as covered it in a couple of cerificate courses.

Secondly, the seller did not offer you the voucher, they did not facilitate or process it, and in fact - most importantly - they don't even know when a buyer has used one because they receive the full purchase price from eBay regardless, therefore they had no responsibility for it. Your dispute was unwarranted. Your dispute was like blaming the waitress because the chef put pepper in your meal when you requested no pepper (and let's just make it clear the waitress took your order down correctly), and throwing water in their face for good measure.

Thirdly, your dishonour fee is what is known as consequential loss - the vast majority of consumer protections do not include consequential loss.

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply