Ebay messaged me that I requested to cancel an order........no, I didn't!

I won an auction yesterday and paid straight away with PayPal. I had used a sniping program to bid for me and won at just a little over the starting price. 

This evening, I received an email from eBay:

You've requested to cancel this order

Hi xxxxxxx,

We've informed the seller that you'd like to cancel this order.

You should hear back from the seller by 13 Apr, 2022.

The seller may not be able to cancel this order if they've already sent your item(s). However, if the seller approves your request, you should receive a refund for the purchase price and original postage back to your original payment method.

......and there is then detail of the order.

At the same time, I received notification from PayPal that my payment is refunded.

The thing is, I didn't make any request to cancel the order.....so how can eBay consider that I did?  Is the seller able to fake a request from me to cancel the order so that they don't have to  pay fees or something?

I'm not out of pocket, so my only complaint is that I really wanted the item and I thought I had purchased it for a reasonable price, but now I have to find another seller I guess.  The item is no longer showing in my purchases so I can't even leave feedback.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sellers have the option to cancel the transaction with the reason "Buyer requested cancellation". It doesn't matter that you didn't actually make the request. What's most likely happened is that the seller is not happy with the final price and wants to try again.

At the end of the day, one cannot force a seller to sell an item at a price they are not happy with - there is no "contract" and Ebay cannot force a seller to actually part with an item.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Sellers have the option to cancel the transaction with the reason "Buyer requested cancellation". It doesn't matter that you didn't actually make the request. What's most likely happened is that the seller is not happy with the final price and wants to try again.

At the end of the day, one cannot force a seller to sell an item at a price they are not happy with - there is no "contract" and Ebay cannot force a seller to actually part with an item.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I thought it was something like that.......still miffed though😎

If they wanted a better price, they could have started the auction higher.  The seller is not a newbie after all.  Oh well, I'll chalk it up to experience I guess😬

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Amber, if you go to your Purchase Orders and scroll down, you will see Cancelled Orders.

You should be able to leave feedback from there.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Yes you are able to leave feedback. I did when the same thing was done to me.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

🤬 🤬 🤬

........it's just happened again!!!  Same item but different seller and this time it was a 'buy it now'.

Thanks Stawka and ratman, I managed to find the items in my cancelled orders and have found where to leave feedback. Unfortunately I can't leave feedback for either order until after 7 days.....but you can bet I will after that time has expired.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds strange that a second seller would do this, especially for BIN.

Do you perhaps have a PO Box as your address? Some sellers won't send to a PO Box, or have it ticked in error as an exclusion.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Yes, I do have a post box.  I wonder if that could be the reason.........damned silly of them not to just say so though.

I might try just one more time........

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

A few years ago or so this even happened to me with an item that had apparently been shipped but had never arrived. The seller gave me a refund with the reason that I had changed my mind and had requested a cancellation. Even if this has no repercussions for buyers, i was a bit miffed too, so I understand you. I didn't even understand how an order where the item had apparently already been shipped could be cancelled in the first place?

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Amber, if you go to your Purchase Orders and scroll down, you will see Cancelled Orders.

You should be able to leave feedback from there.

I think (from memory) that it should also work from the link "Awaiting Feedback" on the left side of the summary page.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply