Ebay plus a joke

I know it's early days, but based on what I see, there is no way in hell I'll be paying for Ebay Plus. I buy a lot and have a large watch list and have noticed that the only sellers offering it.... are those that had free shipping already! lol and of course we know there is no such thing, it's factored in to the price.

So it's all a farce to get people to pay $29, $49 after the first year to get free shipping off sellers who offered it prior to Ebay PLus anyway. Not only single seller I use who charges postage now has the Plus. And here was the Ebay chief saying they were doing it to increase online shopping. Yeah whatever dude....

Message 1 of 127
Latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Ebay plus a joke

@nightcabbage wrote:

Yeah, I just don't undertstand why anyone would use ebay plus.

First of all, their main claim to fame is "free shipping on all plus items"... ok I have 2 problems with this:

a) there are VERY few plus items out there. Almost everything I search for returns 0 results.

b) every plus item ALREADY HAS FREE SHIPPING. So you gain literally nothing by having plus.

And other than that, I don't know what you get from having it that's of any use.

It seems so obviously ridiculous that I feel like I'm missing something, because surely it can't be that dumb?

1. "...I just don't undertstand why anyone would use ebay plus..." - Because not everyone one is you, and not everyone is interested in buying the same things you are.

2. "... there are VERY few plus items out there..." - Rubbish.

3. "...every plus item ALREADY HAS FREE SHIPPING. So you gain literally nothing by having plus." - Free return shipping as well.

4. "And other than that, I don't know what you get from having it that's of any use." - I completely agree; you don't know. But those other benefits alone pay back my eBay Plus fees several times over during the course of a year's membership.

It blows my mind the type of thinking that says "this product is of no benefit to me, therefore this product is useless - I'd better trash talk it".

Blows. My. Mind.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 101 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

Hmm, aggressive reply... didn't mean to push your buttons so much, apologies.

I actually just really didn't understand, which is why I asked, giving my viewpoint as a reference to why I was asking the question.

Right, so some categories of items are commonly listed with plus, from what you've said - so maybe it suits some people better than others.

Also the free returns thing, I suppose that could be handy for things like clothes, etc. (not for me personally, but I appreciate other people might want that).

So when you say it pays for itself, do you mean from the return shipping?

Also, blows my mind that people jump on each other so much on the internet. If you read my message again, you should see that my type of thinking was that "I can't see how this product is of benefit to me, so I'll ask, in case I'm wrong". Humility 😉 But the internet is full of idiots, I get it.

Message 102 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

It used to be on some listings with separate postage but they've stopped that now. I think more people would have got greater benefits from it when it did pay for the postage.

I think they'll soon require that sellers offer an express postage upgrade or they won't get it, which will further limit the number of listings that qualify. I can't remember the details because I'm not interested anyway, but they're definitely making it harder for sellers/listings to qualify.
Message 103 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@nightcabbage wrote:

Hmm, aggressive reply... didn't mean to push your buttons so much, apologies.

I actually just really didn't understand, which is why I asked, giving my viewpoint as a reference to why I was asking the question.

Right, so some categories of items are commonly listed with plus, from what you've said - so maybe it suits some people better than others.

Also the free returns thing, I suppose that could be handy for things like clothes, etc. (not for me personally, but I appreciate other people might want that).

So when you say it pays for itself, do you mean from the return shipping?

Also, blows my mind that people jump on each other so much on the internet. If you read my message again, you should see that my type of thinking was that "I can't see how this product is of benefit to me, so I'll ask, in case I'm wrong". Humility 😉 But the internet is full of idiots, I get it.

My robust response was not aggressive, it was in fact, very helpful.

As it is generally understood that TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS is the forum equivalent to shouting, if any aggression has been displayed it is from you, but nevermind...

My membership pays for itself thanks to the double Flybuys points I receive from every eBay purchase.

Anyway, if you were genuinely wanting to learn about the benefits of a Plus membership, I don't know why you would come here and make critical (and ill-informed) remarks when instead eBay has FAQ and help pages that are very easy to find and detail all the particulars of a membership.

Message 104 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

@nightcabbage wrote:

Yeah, I just don't undertstand why anyone would use ebay plus.

First of all, their main claim to fame is "free shipping on all plus items"... ok I have 2 problems with this:

a) there are VERY few plus items out there. Almost everything I search for returns 0 results.

b) every plus item ALREADY HAS FREE SHIPPING. So you gain literally nothing by having plus.

And other than that, I don't know what you get from having it that's of any use.

It seems so obviously ridiculous that I feel like I'm missing something, because surely it can't be that dumb?

Are you sure about that? Assuming you misspelt 'I'  as 'it' in the bolded bit.

Message 105 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

Well, no, because, again, the product (ebay plus) completely doens't suit me. I'm clearly not the target market.

I now understand that there are other people who it does suit, so that satisfies my question.

Thank you all 🙂

Message 106 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

shinym8
Community Member
I was prompted by ebay to join as there were $99 AirPods I joined and no AirPods available for $99. I got stooged! I’m canceling Plus as it was a fake offer that couldn’t be realised. Very disappointed Ebay.
Message 107 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

It was a limited-quantity offer - no need to exaggerate, the details were all spelled out.

Message 108 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

I’m beyond frustrated with EBay plus daily deals!! This is so stupid!!! I finally!!! After two weeks of trying multiple times a day — clicked an ebay plus listing fast enough to get through before they were gone. Clicked buy it now then added coupon code. After entering the code I get a mesasage “sorry buyer doesn’t have that quantity”. This is ridiculous and maddening and I will cancel ebay plus. Im happy to know there are limited quantity released each time amd you have to keep trying. Fair enough. HOWEVER One quantity of the item should be reserved once you click buy it now and give you time enough to enter the coupon and check out. EVERY OTHER EBAY SALE BUY IT NOW COMMITS YOU TO BUY AND YOU HAVE TIME TO CHECKOUT!!!
Message 109 of 127
Latest reply

Ebay plus a joke

You are competing with -- quite literally -- thousands of other buyers trying to purchase the same item. Many of them are using technology-based assistance to gain an advantage, and if clicking "buy-it-now" reserved an item for a period as you suggested, you'd find you wouldn't even get that far.

Message 110 of 127
Latest reply