Ebay protects dishonest sellers

Have been an ebay custoemer for 20 years apparently.  That's what their customer service app tells me.

But it means nothing.  When a customer is ripped off by a dishonest seller - ebay does nothing

I can no longer trust ebay as if there is an issue you cannot rely on them to assist.   Have you tried calling ebay ??  It simply isn't possible.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Ebay protects dishonest sellers

No I have not tried calling eBay, since the call center has been closed for over 18 months due to Covid, it would be pointless

But other members would need more info if we could suggest possible solutions

Since eBay side with the buyer 99.9% of the time IF the correct procedures are followed, it is very hard for a buyer to be 'ripped off'

What happened and what did you do to try to get a satisfactory outcome?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

If you feel you have been 'ripped off' by a seller, have you opened a case with ebay to get your money back?

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

There has been no phone contact available for about 18 months due to the Coronavirus.

Their call centres are closed.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

did changing your user ID make you feel better.

But on a serious note,  just ranting on the forum wont help,  tell us your woe's rather then rant

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

- You can only contact eBay via live chat (from the Help page). No phone because of COVID.

- If you have a problem and the seller does not help, you should open an eBay case (you have 30 days since the last day of the estimated delivery).

- If it is too late for an eBay case and you used PayPal to pay, you have 180 days since the day of payment to open a PayPal case.

- If you can still open an eBay case, open an eBay case, as if you open a PP case first and it does not go well, you cannot open an eBay case, while if the eBay case does not go well, you can still open a PP case.

- We can give you advice on what is best for you to solve your problem, but we need details.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Totally agree. I have been with eBay over 15 years and just got shafted by a scammer and eBay. Not only did I not get my $1500 back but they removed my negative feedback!! I had had to seek chargebacks from my bank.

I bought prepaid satchels which never came. But tracking said it did. Australia post were awesome. They fully investigated and said that only small envelopes were sent (too small to contain my purchase), likely to another P.O. Box and they wrote me a letter confirming it was likely a scam. 

but the scammer said tracking said it arrived and eBay didn’t even bother to listen to me but decided because tracking shows it arrived that’s it. I didn’t even get a chance to submit my Australian post letter. Then they deleted my feedback as the final kick up the **bleep**.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

49gran
Community Member

Ebay says we are covbere by the their buyer protection and yet whe its obvious there is a crook at work, they fall back into the same old pattern, you have to wait for 10 days before you can put in a claim. They say this is the expected dekivery date, a date they set not the seller. If an item hasnt been sent and its obvious it wont be, you still have to wait for the none expetce arrival. The you have to go through the process of filling a request and all the while eBay is collecting fees and the crooked seller has your money. This buyer protection isnt worth paper its written on, and still eBay is allowe dto get away with it.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

It's worthless when you have no idea what you are doing and do not follow the correct process

And yes, eBay do set the estimated delivery date

Spot on

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

How do you relate your lack of understanding, allegedly, to the OP?

As you mentioned, you will get your money back if the item doesn't arrive; you just have to wait.

I have no idea how you think eBay collecting fees from the seller (non-refundable for an INR) protects sellers. They are out of pocket and don't have the goods if they sent them.

Either way, YOU are not out of pocket if you follow the correct procedures, so have no real reason to bump an old thread.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

sandypebbles you seem to be in everyone's business, you just attacked me about not checking a seller's feedback, which I had & that you asked why I didn't lodge a dispute, which isn't a clearly visible option on Ebay.........nothing is easy in Ebay which is why I'm going to lodge a complaint with the ACCC.  Ebay allows scammers & does nothing to make purchasers feel safe.  I'm not an idiot, I've been here since 2003.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply