Fed up with last second bids

I getting outbid 4 seconds before the end of an auction, when there has been no other prior bids. These bids are made by anonymous bidders, obviously professionals as they have 30 or so going at the same time. It's no fun any more - eBay must be losing buyers in droves - it's just becoming a commercial marketplace. There needs to be some changes made somehow - of course you can't contact anyone in eBay to complain directly. David

Message 1 of 67
Latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Fed up with last second bids

The aim of sniping is to deny other bidders any right of reply. How is this getting the best price for sellers. Yes Im also getting fed up with last minute bidders.

Message 31 of 67
Latest reply

you are not bidding your maximum if you are 'fed up with last minute bidders'

if you bid your maximum you are willing to pay, and a last minute bidder bids MORE, he wins, and you couldnt afford it

if you bid your maximum you are willing to pay, and a last minute bidder bids LESS, you win.

it is always, but ALWAYS, the bidder with the most $$ bid that wins, irrespective of when they bid.  if your maximum is $105 then dont bid $100 and hope to not get outbid.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 32 of 67
Latest reply

Is it me or the new formats but isn't this an outdated zombie thread from last March?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 33 of 67
Latest reply

It's not just you or the new boards PJ, it was iangraham who resurrected it

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 34 of 67
Latest reply

Nearly missed it Patch because of the silly US date format...........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 35 of 67
Latest reply

I think it's great sport, I know my maximum and stop there. As a seller though I think it would be a great idea to continue the auction for at least 30 seconds after the last bid, this would ensure the seller got the maximum.

Message 36 of 67
Latest reply

Nearly missed it Patch because of the silly US date format...........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PJ, I too dislike the US date format,  You can change the format to dd-MM-yyyy through your "My Settings"

Message 37 of 67
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

PJ, I too dislike the US date format,  You can change the format to dd-MM-yyyy through your "My Settings"

Click on Preferences then Display to change the date format.

TCT
Message 38 of 67
Latest reply

I don't understand how that is meant to be good for sellers.

It's BAD for sellers as they will tend to get a lower price for the item.
Consider this:

Bidder 1 (who isn't able t snipe) sets the bid at $20 and maximum bid at $30.
Bidder 2 (a sniper) comes along and bids $35 five seconds before the bidding runs out.
If Bidder 2 had placed a bid earlier (ie a day before), bidder 1 might have come back and noticing that he/she had been outbid, decided to revise his/her maximum bid upwards. Instead, bidder 1 is wrongly given the illusion that no one else is interested in the item.
If sniping was good for sellers, buyers wouldn't be doing it.
eBay really has to fix this.

Message 39 of 67
Latest reply

Not likely you would win it with $1 more. But perhaps $10 more.
Given that sniping is a strategy that generally means people pay less for items (otherwise why bother doing it) I am surprised eBay hasn't addressed it.

Message 40 of 67
Latest reply