GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

@tgoo2526 wrote:

I think you will find that goods sold from Australia already have the GST compenent added into the price, so you still pay a GST, just not an added seperate GST...YET!

Goods sold in Australia will only have GST added if that seller is registered for GST.

As far as ebay sellers go there are probably as many GST registered sellers as there are sellers who are not required to be registered.

All prices on ebay are suppoed to be GST inclusive.....sellers are not allowed to add the GST after the sale.

Message 201 of 346
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Don't ebay it. Google it and save.
If your ebay seller has a website and as stated earlier doesn't sell over 75k into Australia then GST doesn't apply.
I had purchased from this seller months ago on ebay and they did put a business card in with my purchase but I threw it out at the time.
I wanted some more spares and just Googled them.
Registered and made my order. GST free
Message 202 of 346
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Just in case someone says that I should by in Australia.
There isn't a single seller in Australia that sells these spares, either on or off ebay.
In fact my favourite Aussie dealer won't have anything to do with the company.
Says they are too hard to deal with.
The GST might hurt ebay a little. I know that they will be making less money of off me.
I closed my original account in 2015 when my sales reduced to zero and have only recently returned to ebay to buy a few things
Message 203 of 346
Latest reply

I must of been living under a rock, I wasn't aware of this new GST.
I won an auction for the first time in months and was surprised eBay was adding $40 GST on check out.
Unfortunately this makes the item more expensive than what I wanted to pay, what are my options ?
I was going to contact the seller and ask if he could cancel the order and offer it to the second highest bidder as a second chance offer ?
Message 204 of 346
Latest reply

@tgoo2526 wrote:

I wonder how legal a GST is on eBay Items. After all, the ATO expects someone else to collect the GST for them, and they are not providing any goods or services for the money they are collecting.

So can someone explain how the government can add a Goods and Services tax, when they do not provide any goods or services for that money, and even expect someone else to collect the money for them.

It just doesn't sound right to me. What will be taxed next? Air?

It's a tax on goods and services provided by third parties.

No taxation office provides anything (except penalties) in exchange for the money.

It is no different, in effect, to what has been happening domestically since 2000.

A tax is a tax. Nothing is given in exchange. Otherwise it would be a payment for goods or services rendered.

The taxman doesn't give you anything directly for taking a portion of your income, your fuel purchases, your Medicare levy....

Message 205 of 346
Latest reply

@tgoo2526 wrote:

I wonder how legal a GST is on eBay Items. After all, the ATO expects someone else to collect the GST for them, and they are not providing any goods or services for the money they are collecting.

So can someone explain how the government can add a Goods and Services tax, when they do not provide any goods or services for that money, and even expect someone else to collect the money for them.

It just doesn't sound right to me. What will be taxed next? Air?

I think you are saying that the GST on eBay items is somehow not legal because eBay don't sell items yet the ATO expects eBay to charge and collect GST (let me know if that is not what you are saying).

Now, assuming that is what you mean, you should read all of this thread where the GST on low-cost imports is explained quite well by imastawka.  Specifically, that under the legislation the electronic platform (eBay) are deemed to be the supplier of goods and therefore they collect the GST. 

Got a problem with that? Take it up with Malcolm or ScoMo.

@imastawka@imastawka wrote:

Legislation was passed in January 2018 for the GST to apply from July 2018

In summary, the reforms:

• make supplies of goods valued at A$1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are purchased by consumers and are brought into Australia with the assistance of the supplier
  • treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator
  • treat re-deliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the re-deliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer
  • allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia to elect to access the simplified registration and reporting system
  • prevent double taxation.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/New-legislation/In-detail/Indirect-taxes/GST/GST-on-low-value-importe...

Message 206 of 346
Latest reply

Purchased 2 items from overseas sellers , one from a seller that does not sell much and one from a frequent seller with a few thousand feedback under their belt , One item sister Total with postage without GST AUD $287.00 and the other cost Total with postage AUD$298.00 - at the checkout eBay added the GST on both - all good .

Question though if Australians are paying GST on overseas items and you pay eBay the GST then when the items enter the country how do customs know if the GST has been paid ? And the parcel let through , if the you pay the seller as usual the total and postage and eBay collect the GST then even with an invoice attached to the parcel customs will only see the total and postage cost , I don’t understand how customs knows to let a parcel through ? eBay in effect is a third party .

Ebay say they declare all GST to the ATO , but still I can’t see how this will work .

I only see one outcome

- parcel arrives in Australia.

- customs contacts the person the parcel is intended for and holds the parcel , in an Indiana Jones size warehouse with the other hundreds of thousands of parcels.

- parcel recipient has to prove they have already paid GST (Print eBay checkout receipt).

- recipient send receipt , invoice to customs .

- customs try and find your parcel and release it - eventually or not as it’s time consuming and they have more of a work load and are not getting paid more for the inconvenience to themselves.

- nothing happens in a hurry especially when dealing with government departments.

- recipient gets parcel or Australia Post play the parcel loop game from one hub to another.

Please tell me it’s different and EBay +ATO + Customs have their act together and by the time your parcel lands in Australia it’s a well oiled machine and we just sit back do nothing and wait for our parcel to arrive as per normal ?

Yet i I have doubts already as I just noticed after I posted this eBay believes I’ve been a registered user since 2009 ...I joined in 2003 they can’t even get that right ......... faith I have none !

Message 207 of 346
Latest reply

You pay the GST at point of sale. Customs will not treat any parcel under $1000 any differently than previously. There is something in one of the many threads on GST that states this. Otherwise, go to the Customs or ATO sites.

You registered on the boards in 2009. Nothing to did with when you registered on eBay.

Message 208 of 346
Latest reply

Seems Australian buyers are slugged GST Import Duty for all vintage new and second hand goods bought from overseas on ebay now. Yet another cash grab for many who can least afford it.
Message 209 of 346
Latest reply

Yes.

Since 1 July. Massively advertised.

I don't make a lot of money. Certainly not enough to buy stuff from overseas. So I don't do it. You must be less poor than me.

Message 210 of 346
Latest reply