GST on all imports July 2018

Yes kicks in  this July  already talking an extra added  $5 security fee !

Message 1 of 346
Latest reply
345 REPLIES 345

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

@kalior1 wrote:
No good when you 30% to 50% dearer but at least the government will make some money off it...

I AM 50% dearer than some of my UK competitors. This will make me 40% dearer. I still have people buying from me, but this could well mean more do.

Not a bad thing for me, or Australia, if the money stays here.

You'll actually be less than 40% dearer than them from July.  I realise you may have kept it simple for some people.  Smiley Happy

If your price is $15 and your UK competitor's current price is $10, you're 50% dearer.

From July, their price will become $11 and yours will still be $15, which means you'll only be 36% dearer than them.

well now I have seen it all . . . . . rabbit's multiplying on the eBay boards!

Message 81 of 346
Latest reply

Multiplying is what rabbits do!  Smiley Wink

I've always loved maths but I'm not as good as davewil at it because I've forgotten a lot.  I only did General Maths up to form 6 but would have liked to have the opportunity to do Pure & Applied.

Message 82 of 346
Latest reply

Not sure how to just ADD to this TOPIC without having to REPLY to SOMEONE.  (Apologies in advance).

So, what do you (anyone) think happens to anything bought before July 1st?

1) Is that purchase still GST free due to being paid for before the deadline even if not received yet due to coming from abroad? Or...

2) Is it subject to GST regardless of when bought if it is delivered after July 1st.

If "levies" are going to be charged - no more buying anything from overseas for me unless it is really really necessary. 

On the ATO site (I think) I saw something about the possibility of packages being held at customs for up to 8 business days, if they have to do it, so it gives time for the buyer to provide receipts for whatever is in the package. That way GST (fees if any) can be calculated and charged. Released when paid.

So, it could take up to 2 weeks extra to get what you buy if there is no GST paid at the border for that item.I think that is going to be one real headache indeed not to mention complete frustration.

I think Australian Businesses need to bring down overpricing of goods because they are a hell of a lot more in comparison to the USA or other countries.

Eg  A Medical device here could cost as much as AU $2,500 whereas in the USA for something the same, or similar, it is US $400.00 to $600.00.

I think this new GST is a violation of a consumer's right to buy products elsewhere when elsewhere is more reasonable in price and not hindered by taxes, levies, and other extortionate fees.

And...income tax is another one that is done in overkill, In Japan, no matter what is earned, an employee only pays 6% plus a local area tax which is also very low.

Australian Government -  you need to stop with the double taxing and overtaxing.

Message 83 of 346
Latest reply

@mineeo21

just using your $2500 medical device example, it is now going to be $40-$60 dearer with GST added.  At $440-$660 it is still a bargain.

I reckon the govt have greatly underestimated the revenue they will collect from this GST on all imports.  When the money starts rolling in they will be in a position to reduce income tax which means more money in the pockets of working Aussies.  Whether they do so or not depends on the timing of the next federal election. 

Message 84 of 346
Latest reply

@mineeo21 wrote:

So, what do you (anyone) think happens to anything bought before July 1st?

1) Is that purchase still GST free due to being paid for before the deadline even if not received yet due to coming from abroad? Or...

2) Is it subject to GST regardless of when bought if it is delivered after July 1st.

I think Australian Businesses need to bring down overpricing of goods because they are a hell of a lot more in comparison to the USA or other countries.

And...income tax is another one that is done in overkill, In Japan, no matter what is earned, an employee only pays 6% plus a local area tax which is also very low.

Australian Government -  you need to stop with the double taxing and overtaxing.

I'm just quoting above the points I wanted to respond to.

I'm assuming that the purchase date is what determines whether or not GST will be applicable on an import, since it is collected at point of sale and sellers are not obliged to collect it on purchases made prior to July 1st (i.e. if the projected or estimated delivery date had to be taken into account, the transition would be even harder than it will be post-July 1st). 

Re: the pricing of goods in Australia. It's not as simple as looking at the price of an item in one country and comparing the price of the same item in Australia. You have to look at the economy of each country in its entirety, plus things like the overheads a busines has, the cost of import or manufacture, the cost of distribution and so on, respectively.

To put that in perspective, I'll use a grand scale example, with just one factor. The minimum wage in Australia is $17.70, but can be as low as US$7.25 in America, that's about $9.24 AUD - imagine a company like Walmart paying a few thousand employees minimum wage, and a company like Target paying the same number of employees minimum wage in Australia; that difference alone would mean (if both companies pay minimum wage) Target Aus is forking out an extra $40K per hour on a modest estimate of 5000 employes, that would be a $1.6 million difference in just a 40 hour working week, which then needs to be made up in the revenue - and that's just one cost of business that is more in Australia than it is in the US. 

The same logic applies to taxes in other countries. BTW, Japan has a consumption tax like GST, and the rates are based on the salary just like they are here - starting from 5% (on the equivalent salary of around AUD$23k), up to 45%, so it is not a flat 6% and AFAIK there's no tax free threshold like there is in Australia, but there are exemptions, so if someone was earning under the equivalent of AUD$23K, they wouldn't pay tax on the whole amount). 

Message 85 of 346
Latest reply

Japan has a lot more people in a much smaller area so they'd have much better economies of scale for infrastructure and other costs, so they wouldn't need to collect as much tax.

Said medical items might be sold by the hundreds in the US but only in the tens here, thus adding to the costs.  Businesses who sell them here would have to pay import/customs duties, which could be quite considerable, and on top of that they're entitled to make a profit or else it wouldn't be worth them being in business.  Sometimes it's just suppy and demand - you charge more for items that are hard to get.

Message 86 of 346
Latest reply

@mineeo21

I think this new GST is a violation of a consumer's right to buy products elsewhere when elsewhere is more reasonable in price and not hindered by taxes, levies, and other extortionate fees.

Please explain how this is a violation of consumer rights?  That's just like saying it's a violation to impose income tax on people.

Message 87 of 346
Latest reply

I have been holding off, bulk buying as the currency will eat away that savings if the AUD goes down. Its down 5% in 3 months

Message 88 of 346
Latest reply

In theory, if I purchased from the us and sent it to a US forwarding service, could I then have it sent to a relative as a gift and avoid GST?
Message 89 of 346
Latest reply

Who are you going to ask to lie for you - the seller or the forwarding service, or both?
Message 90 of 346
Latest reply