GST when buying overseas - a few FACTS

The following link provides some very clear information on the new GST when buying from overseas.  It's fairly short and to the point.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Infor...

It makes clear that a 're-deliverer' (such as Pitney Bowes) is responsible for collecting the GST, not the original seller or site it was bought on.  Re-delivers (forward services) don't have to register for the GST if they're under the $75K threshold, same as sellers and EDPs.

Using a re-deliverer

You are using a re-deliverer if you:

• purchase goods and have them sent to a mailbox in another country to be re-shipped to you in Australia.
  • use the services of an overseas business that buys goods on your behalf and then helps you bring those goods to Australia.

The re-deliverer will charge GST on the goods and for their services in bringing the goods to you, if they are registered or required to be registered.

The business that makes the original sale should not charge GST, as they are not sending the goods to Australia. This means that you should not pay GST twice.

It also makes clear that GST is payable on the item cost plus the delivery fee (postage).

If you buy something as a gift you still pay GST, same as you would if you go to a physical store in Australia and buy a gift for someone.

It says that if a site thinks it's likely that GST will be payable, the website should display a GST-inclusive price.  If they're not sure if it'll apply or not, they have to say that extra tax may apply.  On this ebay page: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771   ebay states that they do display this on listings.  I checked and it's there - but it's hidden away down near the bottom on the payments tab where most people never look.  Technically they've fulfilled their legal obligations but it's a bit of a joke!

ebay gst.png

This information about the "GST may apply" isn't on GSP listings, obviously because ebay isn't responsible for collecting the GST on the sale.

I couldn't find anything about not being able to charge for collecting the GST but it looks like Pitney Bowes are charging a fee for doing it.  The forms they fill out for customs shouldn't be any different to before because I read on another page that nothing will have GST added to it when it comes through customs at the border, unless it's worth over $1K.  All PB are doing that they weren't before is collecting the GST and sending it to the Australian govt.

I read a bit of other interesting information on other pages (from following the links) but can't remember it all now.  I don't think it said anywhere that a seller (or re-deliverer) has to supply an itemised invoice.  It only said the invoice will usually be GST-inclusive.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Re: GST when buying overseas - a few FACTS

In the interests of objectivity you might try reading through sly's posts on the boards.

NONE have ever offered any answer to any question. Ring a bell?

Almost all have been attacks on other posters.

If that's your idea of an exemplary board member, that is a reflection on you, not those being attacked.

Message 81 of 91
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

In the interests of objectivity you might try reading through sly's posts on the boards.

If that's your idea of an exemplary board member, that is a reflection on you, not those being attacked.

I've seen this member around on a few occasions and never seen anything bad. I have however seen some members here bullying, slandering and  using ad-hoiminem atttacks on members they don't like or disagree with. I also have seen a certain woman being targeted by a few here. Some other members have expressed their  dismay disgust with how she's been treated.

It's amazing how someone in anonymity can become a 20 foot tall giant when they have other bullies to back them up.

Message 82 of 91
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

dave, as regular posters know, it is the posts that are no longer able to be read that paint the real picture.  And, we canโ€™t fill in the blanks because we are not allowed to discuss removed content (I could probably get in trouble even posting this post!).

I would say โ€œfind the worst of the remaining posts and use your imaginationโ€ to fill in the blanks.

I can say this though, on the other posterโ€™s profile page it says they have posted 215 posts.  However, when you look at the posts you can still access it is only 180.  That means there are 35 posts that are no longer available.

Spoiler
and just to clarify, my post count is 6,648 with only 2,000 able to be read.  That does not mean I have had 4,648 removed, it means that only 100 pages of 20 per page can be accessed.
Message 83 of 91
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I've seen this member around on a few occasions and never seen anything bad. I have however seen some members here bullying, slandering and  using ad-hoiminem atttacks on members they don't like or disagree with. I also have seen a certain woman being targeted by a few here. some other members have expressed their  dismay disgust with how she's been treated.

I've seen this member around on a few occasions and never seen anything bad

So ad hominem attacks are okay with you?

some other members have expressed their  dismay disgust with how she's been treated.

So you say. Without evidence, as usual. And, even more typical, using blanket statements rather than specific RECENT instances.

Personally, I wouldn't be using you as a chamion of anything except conspiracy theories, or posts made more than a couple of years ago.

Let's agree to disagree. One of us posts facts and qualified opinions. One of us champions anybody who doesn't agree with those similar to me. But won't actually objectively read what they post.

Message 84 of 91
Latest reply

Let it go son

Message 85 of 91
Latest reply

I'm not your son. It is unlikely you are even old enough to be my father.

That is the sort of condescending attitude that gets peoples' backs up.

You can feel free to NOT reply, that way it WILL be let go.

Message 86 of 91
Latest reply

"SON"?   At a guess I would say Dave is probably old enough to be your father or possibly your grandfather.

Agree or disagree as you like but don't be disrespectful to other posters.

Message 87 of 91
Latest reply

Hello, everyone. It's very important to keep your discussion relevant to the topic. If you have something else to talk about, please start a new thread. Remember irrelevant posts might be removed. Thanks.
Message 88 of 91
Latest reply

@gewens wrote:
Hello, everyone. It's very important to keep your discussion relevant to the topic. If you have something else to talk about, please start a new thread. Remember irrelevant posts might be removed. Thanks.

Me?

Surely you jest. There are several candidates higher on the list.

Message 89 of 91
Latest reply

Here we go again!

Message 90 of 91
Latest reply