GST when buying overseas - a few FACTS

The following link provides some very clear information on the new GST when buying from overseas.  It's fairly short and to the point.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/GST-on-low-value-imported-goods/Infor...

It makes clear that a 're-deliverer' (such as Pitney Bowes) is responsible for collecting the GST, not the original seller or site it was bought on.  Re-delivers (forward services) don't have to register for the GST if they're under the $75K threshold, same as sellers and EDPs.

Using a re-deliverer

You are using a re-deliverer if you:

• purchase goods and have them sent to a mailbox in another country to be re-shipped to you in Australia.
  • use the services of an overseas business that buys goods on your behalf and then helps you bring those goods to Australia.

The re-deliverer will charge GST on the goods and for their services in bringing the goods to you, if they are registered or required to be registered.

The business that makes the original sale should not charge GST, as they are not sending the goods to Australia. This means that you should not pay GST twice.

It also makes clear that GST is payable on the item cost plus the delivery fee (postage).

If you buy something as a gift you still pay GST, same as you would if you go to a physical store in Australia and buy a gift for someone.

It says that if a site thinks it's likely that GST will be payable, the website should display a GST-inclusive price.  If they're not sure if it'll apply or not, they have to say that extra tax may apply.  On this ebay page: https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771   ebay states that they do display this on listings.  I checked and it's there - but it's hidden away down near the bottom on the payments tab where most people never look.  Technically they've fulfilled their legal obligations but it's a bit of a joke!

ebay gst.png

This information about the "GST may apply" isn't on GSP listings, obviously because ebay isn't responsible for collecting the GST on the sale.

I couldn't find anything about not being able to charge for collecting the GST but it looks like Pitney Bowes are charging a fee for doing it.  The forms they fill out for customs shouldn't be any different to before because I read on another page that nothing will have GST added to it when it comes through customs at the border, unless it's worth over $1K.  All PB are doing that they weren't before is collecting the GST and sending it to the Australian govt.

I read a bit of other interesting information on other pages (from following the links) but can't remember it all now.  I don't think it said anywhere that a seller (or re-deliverer) has to supply an itemised invoice.  It only said the invoice will usually be GST-inclusive.

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

So try arguing that with the Australian Government.

Message 71 of 91
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Ok, my thoughts on GST aside, if someone is a registered business then  OK, GST. But if it's just  "Everyday Susan" or "Everyday Thomas" selling some unwanted or not needed books then GST is very wrong.

and for everyday Aussie Susan (Sues) and everyday Aussie Thomas (Thommo) selling their not needed or wanted second hand books to Aussie buyers there is NO GST payable.

BUT, for the purposes of collecting GST on low-cost imports bought through eBay there is GST on secondhand books.  This has been posted before, but maybe some members are a little slow on the uptake, if secondhand low-cost imports were exempt from GST then Aussie buyers would ask sellers to change item condition from 'New' to 'Used' to avoid the GST on New items.

It's easier to have no exemptions than to have exemptions and avoidance/evasion of GST.  It also encourages Aussies to buy local if GST makes secondhand low-cost imports uncompetitive.

EXEMPTIONS = LOOPHOLES = AVOIDANCE/EVASION

And, for anyone who feels super hard done by the opportunity to let the government know was on May 18th.

Message 72 of 91
Latest reply

"This has been posted before, but maybe some members are a little slow on the uptake..........."

Would that be the same as "selective comprehension" SLR ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 73 of 91
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@4channel wrote:

Ok, my thoughts on GST aside, if someone is a registered business then  OK, GST. But if it's just  "Everyday Susan" or "Everyday Thomas" selling some unwanted or not needed books then GST is very wrong.

and for everyday Aussie Susan (Sues) and everyday Aussie Thomas (Thommo) selling their not needed or wanted second hand books to Aussie buyers there is NO GST payable.

BUT, for the purposes of collecting GST on low-cost imports bought through eBay there is GST on secondhand books.  This has been posted before, but maybe some members are a little slow on the uptake, if secondhand low-cost imports were exempt from GST then Aussie buyers would ask sellers to change item condition from 'New' to 'Used' to avoid the GST on New items.

It's easier to have no exemptions than to have exemptions and avoidance/evasion of GST.  It also encourages Aussies to buy local if GST makes secondhand low-cost imports uncompetitive.

EXEMPTIONS = LOOPHOLES = AVOIDANCE/EVASION

And, for anyone who feels super hard done by the opportunity to let the government know was on May 18th.

Just expressing my views / thoughts on it and nothing more! I don't know of themembers you refer to who are a little slow on the uptake.  See, we still are allowed that luxuary.

And ..... I still stand by my statement that I believe it is wrong for everyday people to buy second hand goods from other non-professional sellers (Just everyday folk selling their unwanted stuff ...  having a clean out etc..)  having to pay GST. Yes ...   and I agree with some of what shereleo has said.

Message 74 of 91
Latest reply

@4channel wrote: 

Just expressing my views / thoughts on it and nothing more! I don't know of themembers you refer to who are a little slow on the uptake.

I didn't think you would.

Message 75 of 91
Latest reply

Typical of you to tell other members that they are not to offer any discussion in a discussion forum. Did you read the title of the community page?  Quite clearly indicates "dicussion". Quite ok for you to offer non factual statements, and other bully murmerings,

but not so for others to have an opinion about a particular topic . Just grow up and try to educate your narrow mind 

Message 76 of 91
Latest reply

Sky!!!!! HI!!!!! How awesome to see you here again! Stop being a stranger and pop in more often. It's always great to see you when you slide on in. 😄 I hope you're well.

For what it's worth, I agree that the GST on low cost imports sucks, but it is what it is. The government has spoken, and there's really not a lot we can do about it.

Message 77 of 91
Latest reply

I never offer anything but facts, and my reply was to somebody who was stating unsupported opinion and erroneous information.

Just trying to educate people. Especially when THIS thread was set up to offer FACTS, not opinion. There are plenty of other extant threads where there are no facts and plenty of opinions.

As far as attacking other members for having opinions, I bow to the master on that one.

Message 78 of 91
Latest reply

Not quite the response I expected from you  but at least we can agree on something, even though it's GST related. 

Spoiler
Tongue in cheek responses are always welcome. 
Message 79 of 91
Latest reply

@skyrider12-au wrote:
Re: GST when buying overseas - a few FACTS

in reply to davewil1964

Typical of you to tell other members that they are not to offer any discussion in a discussion forum. Did you read the title of the community page?  Quite clearly indicates "dicussion". Quite ok for you to offer non factual statements, and other bully murmerings,

but not so for others to have an opinion about a particular topic . Just grow up and try to educate your narrow mind 

Thanks skyrider12-au, new members should be made to feel welcome here and if they're a little but green so what!  Well, regardless of that, they should still be treated with respect.

There's a bullying culture here by a few that get some kind of enjoyment from it. Other members here have spoken to me about it. One even said it was worse before. Really? 

I hope that one day these bullies wake up to what life is all about. And they'll look in the mirror and see that the face staring back at them is theirs.

Thanks for your input.

Message 80 of 91
Latest reply