GST

I have a problem understanding GST added to purchases.  I am aware it is an Australian  government requirement but why are levels so different.  GST is 10% on goods and postage.  This is not the first time I see what appears to be rorting on Ebay’s part.

Item 233571025063 Has a price of 259.99,  postage of 8.76 and duty of 57.35

Item 133777879736 has a value of 268.51,  postage of 19.81 and duty of 33.27

Same ebay site, same currency and same destination.  How can this be GST calculated at 10% on goods plus postage?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: GST

I suspect the sellers are using the GSP. Pitney Bowes determines the cost which includes GST, postage, GST on that, their admin costs, GST on those.

Anecdotally, if a seller doesn't bother to provide accurate dimensions and weight, PB will make a guesstimate.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

You forgot the  S  part of GST - services

Buy your gold hoop earrings from an Aussie seller and there's no problem.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

International companies, including shipping companies, that are required to collect and remit GST on behalf of the ATO, are permitted to charge  any amount they see fit, on top of the GST, for doing so.  They can also call the extra fee anything they like.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Great, if they had anything liker the design and function choice elsewhere.  Australia is not a country where hand made is valued.  AFL and cricket or any other sport is valued.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

They say not service is included but no idea if they are using Pitney Bowes.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

They are if there is a separate postage and customs charge. And what relevance has sport (especially Australian sport) to do with you purchasing from overseas?

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply