Gift card scam

alf7536
Community Member

I received a call on my mobile this after from a person sounding like an Indian who said that my account will be debited $200 for a gift card that I had ordered. I did not at any time order an eBay gift card. THe phone number indicates that the cal was made from Adelaide but that may also be false. Just be aware, people.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Gift card scam

You are able to Google telephone numbers.

This I think is definitely a scam number.Screenshot_20200629-151825_Chrome.jpg

Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Yep, on Who Called Me too

Same scammer that does the Itunes gift cards scam

Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

I received the same sort of call apearing to come from Adelaide saying someone had charged my account for a $200 gift card and they were asking if I had done it. I hadn't of course, but they wanted to take me through a cancellation process. I said I would do it through the ebay website, but of course there was nothing there. So I think It is a scam.
Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

The phone number that was used was: 61881215682. Really believe it was a scam.
Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

**bleep** they made me fill out this form. I feel like I’m absolutely f@&ked now. I’ve changed all my passwords. Did anyone else fill out forms
Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

It would seem you are to only one to fall for it. And you are very likely f@&ked. They didn't MAKE you fill out a form which has now given them your personal details.

If you didn't buy it, and it wasn't showing on your eBay account and/or your Paypal account why would you think it's legit?

Good that you have changed your passwords, but there is no doubt the scammers now have enough information to clone your identity.

Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

Nobody "made" you fill anything out.

Never mind passwords - if you've given your drivers license number, you are buggered as that is the one thing ( as far as I'm aware), that cannot be changed. Passports can be cancelled and reissued with a new number, but not licenses.

Highly recommend you research who to contact in this instance (such as credit report companies) and put them on alert. Best you notify your bank as well to be on the lookout for any loans etc taken out in you name.

This is serious stuff and I hope nothing happens, but I really don't understand why you believed a random message/phone call.

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

anj1974
Community Member
Scam, claim to be from eBay that I purchased a gift card. If I didn't order it they insisted that it needed to be cancelled and would try and take your details.

I swore so much because it was false as I do not have an eBay account to start with and don't use eBay at all.

They kept calling back and said I would still be charged $200. I continued swearing and then hung up. They have an Aussie accent too!
I called called back to an automated service with an American Accent and left on hold music.

Unbelievable!!! It is a scam!!! Do not give any of your details even though they just have your name.
Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

Gift card scam

anj1974
Community Member
My mum told me to post this as she doesn't have an eBay account.
Message 10 of 59
Latest reply