What do I do if the seller does not respond (for this case: before the delivery date)?

wook_9626
Community Member

Hello,

So I have a bought an item today, but before buying I asked the seller few questions 2 days ago (which is 2nd of Feb) before buying it just to make sure. I was worried that the item I want will run out of stock so I bought it today anyways but it's already been 2 days since I contacted him, no response at all from him and now I am worried if I'll even be able to receive my item to begin with.

I have googled and found out that you could possibly open up a case in the case that seller does not repond to the buyer, but only if you have not received the item after the delivery date. 

So in short, it's before the delivery date, but the seller does not respond to my messages and I have done the payment already, so I now am worried that my item will not arrive. What should I do in this case?? (forgot to mention that I have contacted him again yesterday but still no response)

I would appreciate any of your help or advice.

Cheers.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

What do I do if the seller does not respond (for this case: before the delivery date)?

It is way too early to be worried. Sellers have a few reasons why they don't answer a message including that some people are not on their computer every day, or that they are blocked from getting, or have blocked messages. There is nothing you can do now until the date that your item should arrive so no point in stressing over it.

There is no reason to think that it won't arrive and if something does go wrong and it doesn't you just go through the process to get your money back - no biggie. 

One thing to keep in mind is that if your seller is in China many warehouse areas are blocked from sending products out. One of my suppliers tells me that they will not be able to send out products until the 18th. Please be generous and patient as delays from China are not the sellers fault.

If your seller is in Australia they may still be geting over the weekend and not got to their messages yet, that does not in any way mean that they will not post.

Have a cup of tea and don't think about it until your package arrives. 

Latest reply

I,m a seller and I have exactly your circumstances quite regularly. I go away from home to a remote farm without internet connection each week, sometimes for days at a time. Buyers send messages and then buy a day or two later before I return to respond to previous messages.

When I return I usually acknowledge the messages and send the item. I have a 5 day handling period to cover the extended delivery times. Its never been a problem.

China has the Virus / health / lock down issues and many Australians have been affected one way or another by the fires. If the worst comes to the worst and your item does not arrive you can open an item not recieved case and get all of your money back. Ebay has you covered so nothing really to worry about.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

What should I do in this case?

Wait.

If it concerned you the seller didn't respond, you shouldn't have purchased, especially as it seems to worry you now.

Just wait and you will probably get the item.

image host
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

wook_9626
Community Member
Update: thnx for all of you help and advice

Normally, I know it is way to early for me to be worried about my item's arrival since its only been 2 days, and I would be feeling pretty chill just to wait for it to arrive.

However, previously I have purchased something else and I was happy to wait until the delivery date, but I have not received that item past the delivery date and it took me a solid 2.5 weeks just to get a single item.

So yeh gave me a trauma pretty much, and which is why I am worried about it. I am happy to wait about for a week, but 2-3 weeks is just way too long, and I could possibly forget about it and occupy myself with something else, but then I tend to just totally forget about it and I would not even bother contacting the seller even if I do not receive the item since I forgot about it lol. I do not want any of this to happen again.

Anyways, I will try to wait for few more days and I'll see how things goes

Cheers for all of your responses, have a good day.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Patience is your friend. No matter where your seller is it can take a couple of weeks to arrive, even in Australia. There have been many reports of an item taking a couple of weeks just from one end of a state to the other. Not the sellers fault and nearly all items still arrive. Please wait up to three weeks for an item to arrive, even within Australia, and certainly from another country.

Latest reply

@wook_9626 wrote:
Update: thnx for all of you help and advice

Normally, I know it is way to early for me to be worried about my item's arrival since its only been 2 days, and I would be feeling pretty chill just to wait for it to arrive.

However, previously I have purchased something else and I was happy to wait until the delivery date, but I have not received that item past the delivery date and it took me a solid 2.5 weeks just to get a single item.

So yeh gave me a trauma pretty much, and which is why I am worried about it. I am happy to wait about for a week, but 2-3 weeks is just way too long, and I could possibly forget about it and occupy myself with something else, but then I tend to just totally forget about it and I would not even bother contacting the seller even if I do not receive the item since I forgot about it lol. I do not want any of this to happen again.

Anyways, I will try to wait for few more days and I'll see how things goes

Cheers for all of your responses, have a good day.

Hi wook_9626,  it can be easy to have a not so good experience influence you when dealing with another seller. I'd just like to add there is any delay just contact the seller and ask ....  "Hi,  just so I know when to keep an eye out, please can you let me know when was the item posted?" That seems to work for me and then they tell you.  If you think the item is taking too long then you can just come back here and ask the members. Jut let us know where the item was being posted from. Someone will give you an idea of normal post times  Due to what's hapening overseas and fires and bad weather here there will possibly be delays. Anyway, hopefully your parcel will arrive soon and not be affected too much by what's going on.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

4channel, did you miss the bit where the OP said the seller is not responding?

How is another message going to help?

Wook, if your seller has an Anchor store with many thousands of listings, then they can't be answering messages from everybody.

They would not have time to post anything if they did.

Just bide your time, andd open the case if your item doesn't turn up.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@wook_9626 wrote:

Sounds like you would be better served by releasing that anxiety and approaching new transactions without it (and / or passing it on to your potential sellers unnecessarily).

I'd recommend (along with all the usual vetting processes you can use to select sellers) setting reminders on your phone, or marking the ETA of your orders on a calendar, (or perhaps a couple of days past the last ETA, just to allow for delays). Then you won't have to spend any energy on worrying about such things, nor worrying you'll forget about your purchases, because realistically that doesn't affect anything except how you feel between the time you buy, and the time you receive your item(s).

Sellers can get nervous too, and quite a few will when a buyer is continually messaging them about dispatch and delivery, especially because dispatch time is largely within the seller's control, but delivery time is not), but these are also common signs of a transaction not ending well for the seller, no matter what they do, so if you can ease the pressure on them and yourself at the same time, your future purchases will most likely be problem and worry-free 🙂

Ideally sellers will reply within a reasonable time, on a business day, of course, so if you ask a seller a question and they never reply, that may be one of the things you can use to vet a seller and buy from someone else.

Just in case - the seller who gave you your most recent FB is registered in China, so it's probable the order will ship from China (these sellers can sometimes take a really long time to respond to messages, too, especially if they don't speak English - I once asked a seller a question during December about an item I was interested in, I got a reply a month later - so January - not answering the question but just wishing me a merry Christmas Smiley Very Happy ). Due to the situation there at the moment (not only coronavirus, but the recent new year celebrations shutting all operations down nationwide), you can expect extended delays to shipping for anything from there - none of my suppliers are shipping anything until the 9th at the earliest. 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

4channel, did you miss the bit where the OP said the seller is not responding?

How is another message going to help?

You just couldn't resist having a dig at me could you! Nothing changes does it! Smiley Frustrated *SIGH*

And I knew that the seller was responding at the time of the op's last entry.  I just added something that has worked for me.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply