Help me understand a little more better please Customs Australia

Hi everyone need a little help understanding on importing items over $1000 into Australia from the States. Since it’s my first time of a purchase this expensive. 

So bought books and Cassettes tapes for Teddy Ruxpin. On Monday the 8th of May it arrived in Sydney and no further details have been updated via Au Post it’s Normal Parcel Post. Since I’m in Victoria 

Anyway on the Pintey Bows Tracking page it says Held By Customs Import yet  via Aus Post tracking page and with the number of the first 12 digits being the exact same just extended by extra 12 digits it doesn’t say anything about Customs I did reach out Au Post but they said it’s not in Customs. 

So of course this has me confused as hell I’ve read that items over $1000 you gotta pay some sort of fee so customs can clear it or dose eBay do this automatically upon purchase and why dose Pintey Bows and the APG sites both say held by Customs yet Not on Au post tracking could Au post be mistaken sorry if this sounds silly I just have trouble understanding all this.

Also I should note my tracking on Au Post says on its way Arrived at destination Country this was the 8th in Sydney. I also should note on the eBay tracking page it says in Transit in origin country.

thank you if someone has good knowledge of stuff like this if can please help that be appreciated 

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Help me understand a little more better please Customs Australia

I don't know how much information Ozpost have about it being in customs, sorry. 

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

As stated.  GST for imported goods with a value over  $1000.   Is normally collected at the border upon entry.

Surely you know if  the GSP has already collected the  GST.   They  indicate the relevant GST component  and then charge their additional fees, referenced as duties.  Note what they claim as duties, is purely their charge for collecting and remitting GST to the ATO, it is not actual import duties.

Don't pay GST twice

When goods with a customs value of more than A$1,000 are imported into Australia GST is payable at the border to Australian Border Force.

If you purchase a number of low value imported goods from a supplier with a total customs value of more than A$1,000 and the goods are sent to you in one parcel, the supplier can choose to either:

• apply GST to each low value good at the point of sale and include sufficient information on the import documents to prevent GST being applied again at the border
  • not apply GST at the point of sale and allow GST to be applied to the parcel at the Australian border.

You may also need to pay any customs duty and clearance charges applicable at the border.

The supplier must issue you a notice or receipt that includes:

• their GST registration number, either an Australian business number (ABN) or ATO reference number (ARN)
  • if you have paid GST at the point of sale.

This will provide the information required to complete an import declaration.

If the supplier doesn't give this information and the import has a customs value over A$1,000, you'll be notified that you need to pay GST at the border before your goods will be released.

If you're charged GST at the border and at the point of sale, you must seek a refund of the GST paid at the point of sale from the supplier. Australian Border Force can't make refunds of GST paid at the border.

Before they refund the GST paid at the point of sale, the supplier will require proof of payment of the GST paid at the border.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Up to total amount paid of $1,000, GST is collected by the seller, the EDP operator (eBay in this context), or the parcel forwarder, as appropriate. This is the requirement under the GST on Low Value Imported Goods amendment.

When total amount paid is over $1,000, GST and any duty or processing etc fees are collected by Customs or agent on behalf of Customs. There’s no ambiguity. The amendment doesn’t give sellers or the EDP or parcel forwarder the authority to collect the duty amount that is payable, and if the payable GST was collected by any of those three entities, it is a messier and potentially more troublesome situation with the buyer possibly having to chase up a GST refund from seller/EDP operator/parcel forwarder if charged by Customs as well…

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply