How do I take action against a Seller

I purchased a phone off REMOVED, they stated they had an Australian warranty

Received the phone, it would not hold a charge. With it on idle, it would go flat in 6 hrs. Using it to surf the web, it would go flat in an hour.

They told me to send it back, they held onto it for a couple of months and then sent it back. The problems was still there and I have been sending them emails unanswered. 

I am now past the three months where I can leave feedback or get ebay to resolve the issue which may be deliberate by the supplier.

What can I do?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@stsjh-ho-9mfktds,

First of all, the posting rules for these boards don't permit naming of specific eBay members (for instance, the seller from whom you bought, or the buyer who bought from you if you were the seller). That just means that a moderator will no doubt be along to edit out that name from your post at some point.

Secondly, the name that you posted does not come up as an eBay username. You've probably used a username that is similar (but not identical) to the username of the actual seller - is that the case? Specifically, in the feedback you've received, two are from a seller whose username is along the same lines as the name you've posted. Clicking onto that seller's feedback score from your feedback profile page leads one to that seller's feedback profile page, which shows the seller's registration information as:

Just because the username includes the words "australia" or "australian" or "aussie" or anything along those lines does not mean that the seller is actually Australian and/or located in Australia.

Equally - and I'm sorry - just because the seller tells you (or their listing states) that the item has an Australian warranty, it does not mean that it's true.

You may want to read this reply, in which I address this in detail. In fact, I strongly suggest you read that post! It will give you the information to protect yourself from making any sort of mistake re warranty in future, and it explains what makes a warranty an actual warranty.

Now, none of that helps you in this particular case. Your seller has been stalling you on purpose, in order to ensure that your ability to claim SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) under eBay's Money Back Guarantee has lapsed.

However, as long as it's not more than 6 months since the TRANSACTION DATE, you can still use PayPal Buyer Protection.

PayPal Buyer Protection - Open a Dispute

If your transaction was less than 6 months ago, you can still open a claim in PayPal using PayPal Buyer Protection (you have up to 180 days to open a dispute, and once you've opened the dispute, you must escalate the dispute to a claim NO LATER than 20 days after opening the dispute).

Do not - absolutely do NOT - close the dispute without getting your full refund. The seller could promise a refund, tell you that you need to close the dispute in order to get the refund, and that would be that - you'd be stuck from that moment onwards, because once closed a PayPal dispute can't be re-opened.

IMPORTANT

• If you are within the 30 days of Estimated Delivery Date of the item or actual delivery date of the item (whichever applies), you should go through eBay's MBG. This is the best way. Furthermore, if eBay won't refund you for some reason, you can always subsequently open a PayPal refund request - but you cannot do it the other way around.
  • Never have both an eBay and a PayPal dispute open at the same time for the same transaction. The eBay dispute will immediately be closed, and it's possible that the PayPal dispute may also be closed.
  • Always make sure that your payment is funded from a credit card/debit card providing you with the option of having your card provider perform a chargeback - in the event that neither eBay nor PayPal will refund you.

ALSO...

... make sure that you're signed up to PayPal Refunded Returns before opening a PayPal claim. Of course, use the returns process with care as over-use may result in PayPal deciding that your account is not in good standing.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I bought an item that was faulty. The seller took it back for repairs but then delayed sending it back. When I received it back, it was still faulty but the time period had passed to leave feedback or to use the resolution centre. What can I do about this

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Depending on the timeframe you can claim INAD through paypal, do not send item back until advised to do so by paypal, not the seller.

Follow paypals instructions and you should be fine.

Once the issue is resolved, check if the seller left FB for you, you can reply to that feedback stating the issue you have had.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@stsjh-ho-9mfktds wrote:

I bought an item that was faulty. The seller took it back for repairs but then delayed sending it back. When I received it back, it was still faulty but the time period had passed to leave feedback or to use the resolution centre. What can I do about this

It may be worthwhile considering that the seller never had it repaired or attempted to fix it themselves. Was it an electrical item? If so, was a receipt included?

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Is this the same item as that about which you posted in your other thread?

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/How-do-I-take-action-against-a-Seller/m-p/2385573#M118080

Please see that thread for my reply.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply