How do coupons work?

I recently bought an item using money and an ebay coupon, the item arrived damaged and I was refunded what I paid but I didn't get the coupon back. I just rang customer support to see if I could get it back and the lady I dealt with told me no. She also tells me that the seller doesn't get money for the coupon I used and that's why it can't be refunded. This doesn't make sense to me, does that mean if I sell an item and the buyer uses a coupon I don't get the amount I listed it for? e.g. if I listed a 10 dollar item and the buyer used a 10 dollar coupon I have to give it to them for free? That's not right is it?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

How do coupons work?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Depends on who issues the coupon......if it was seller issued then they do not get the money from anyone as it is effectively a discount on the item.

If it was paypal issued then paypal pay the seller that amount of money and the same with an ebay issued coupon.  Most coupons have a lower limit on the amount you need to spend to use them.....most often it is $50.00

If the sale falls through the buyer does not get the coupon returned as it usually has a limited time for use.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

It was issued by eBay and the limit was only $20. So the customer support rep was wrong then, I thought so.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If the sale falls through the buyer does not get the coupon returned as it usually has a limited time for use.

Does that mean that the seller gets to keep the money? Or was the coupon amount refunded to ebay? Either way I'm screwed out of the coupon, it's not a big deal but in my opinion this is a poor way of handling things, I see no reason they can't just reissue the coupon. 

A different customer service rep said that the proper department may give me a new coupon out of good will but when I called them the rep I spoke to was a  'by the book' kind of person, telling me I should have read the coupons terms of service, basically she didn't do anything about it because she didn't have to, so much for 'good will' eh. ๐Ÿ˜›

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

If you get a refund of the money that you paid then the coupon value goes back to ebay.  Refunds always go back to the original funding source.

The seller probably has no idea that the payment was not all from you.....they have no idea how the payment was funded.

If you read the T & C of the coupon you will find it is not redeemable for cash.  I have never heard of a coupon being reissued if the transaction goes pearshaped.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

telling me I should have read the coupons terms of service, basically she didn't do anything about it because she didn't have to, so much for 'good will' eh

That is unfair. The terms & conditions are part of the offer/discount/coupon and the staff have to abide by them... no exceptions.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

@am*3 wrote:

That is unfair. The terms & conditions are part of the offer/discount/coupon and the staff have to abide by them... no exceptions.

Well I think it's unfair that I miss out on properly using the coupon just because a seller ripped me off but I guess life's not meant to be fair.

Also i'm not really complaining about what she did but how she went about it was pretty unprofessional, it was kind of like talking to a robot, not friendly or sympathetic, placing the blame on me etc.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

@vainodyssey wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

Well I think it's unfair that I miss out on properly using the coupon just because a seller ripped me off but I guess life's not meant to be fair.

Also i'm not really complaining about what she did but how she went about it was pretty unprofessional, it was kind of like talking to a robot, not friendly or sympathetic, placing the blame on me etc.

Yep, you were talking to eBay......that's about the best you can hope for. Reading off a cheat sheet, which stuffs them up if you ask something they don't have a cheat sheet for.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

I literally just got a copy of Disney's Tarzan for free using a $10 off coupon code. Not sure who issued it, but it means that I paid nothing on a $9.50 item!

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

Lucky you.....most of the ebay promotions have a certain spend amount before a discount can be applied.

You do realise you have lost 50 cents of your voucher.  It is best to spend enough to take full advantage of the discount.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

And this relates to 2015 how?

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply