How do coupons work?

I recently bought an item using money and an ebay coupon, the item arrived damaged and I was refunded what I paid but I didn't get the coupon back. I just rang customer support to see if I could get it back and the lady I dealt with told me no. She also tells me that the seller doesn't get money for the coupon I used and that's why it can't be refunded. This doesn't make sense to me, does that mean if I sell an item and the buyer uses a coupon I don't get the amount I listed it for? e.g. if I listed a 10 dollar item and the buyer used a 10 dollar coupon I have to give it to them for free? That's not right is it?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

How do coupons work?

It is annoying, but if it is an eBay coupon usually you won't get your money back.

These are the conditions for PENNY5 for example, and at 10 it says:

If you return or seek a refund on any item purchased using this discount, the value of the discount will not be refunded to you.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

The discount amount is not refunded to the buyer because the buyer did not pay it.....it goes back to ebay who did pay it.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

Some companies also refund vouchers. Not too long ago I got a birthday voucher from another company, which I used to buy an item. I then had to return the item and they refunded the voucher too. Strangely the rules were that it could not redeemed for cash, so I don't know if it was a mistake that they refunded it, but they did.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

@papermoon.lady wrote:

Not too long ago I got a birthday voucher from another company, 

Was that voucher bought from the company as a birthday present for you from a friend?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

@padi*0409 wrote:

@papermoon.lady wrote:

Not too long ago I got a birthday voucher from another company, 

Was that voucher bought from the company as a birthday present for you from a friend?

No, it was directly from the company.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

If you read the terms of the ebay vouchers they specifically say that the value ofthe voucher will not be given to the buyer in the event of  a return.

Ebay vouchers are only usable for a short period of time so have usually expired befor a return has been done.

Other companies may refund the voucher so it can be used again.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

How do coupons work?

I know. I quoted the terms and conditions myself yesterday.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply