How to I get my money back from a seller who advertised a book which he didn't have. Wont refund!

Some weeks ago I bought a book advertised on Ebay by a seller in USA. Paid the seller the stated price + postage. Next I receive a message from the seller: VERY sorry but the item is not available, don't know how it came to be still listed on Ebay, etc., etc., etc. Of course the seller will refund me the money ($37.00 Australian, including postage), etc. Another message: Seller asks how I want my refund?!  Cheque, international bank deposit? Paypal, etc., etc., etc!!! Very apologetic when it turns out that he can do NONE of the above!!!!!!!

So, it looks like an IMPASSE? Complicated by the Seller confiding in me that he is RETIRING from Ebay! "Take the money and run" sprang to mind??? Perhaps I am being a little harsh, but to me the whole incident smells just a tad "ratty".

Anyway, is there anything that Ebay can do here, bearing in mind that the Seller may have vamoosed?

I'm posting this here because I have been unable to find an email address for Ebay! Just FAQs of all shapes and sizes!! But nothing of much use to me.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

How to I get my money back from a seller who advertised a book which he didn't have. Wont refund!

That was the other thread you hijacked?

If you had a question, you could have always started a new thread to ask it.

As an aside, though, I think you will find that Australian consumer law only applies to Australia, when both parties are in-country.

eBay (and Paypal) clearly state their terms and conditions. The prudent path would have been to open a case for not received within the allowed timeframes. That way you would have got your money back at least.

I certainly wouldn't be waiting for delivery over a month, much less 18, if I'd paid several thousand euros for something.

That's just me, though. I pay attention to the rules that apply to the sites I use.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

YOU: "That's just me, though. I pay attention to the rules that apply to the sites I use."

ME: really. thx for recognising an ebay loophole I've discovered, albeit unwiitingly, & offering nothing community-minded to prevent other ebay users from being at risk of suffering same. If you dont want to help brainstorm how we could address this loophole as an urgent issue that ebay should not be allowed to ignore, then you are offering this so-called community nothing but a repeat of what eBay does to avoid its obligatioons by repeating its TC's until victims give-up in disgust. 

As for "hijacking" someone elses question. I had no idea how to start my own so simply added my own frustrations & learnt what to do next, based on the inadequate support I got from ebay personnel.../... "ebay community members" - evidently, no such demopnstration of support, so dont try to convince me / otherwise.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@vandegraaff8 wrote:

YOU: "That's just me, though. I pay attention to the rules that apply to the sites I use."

ME: really. thx for recognising an ebay loophole I've discovered, albeit unwiitingly, & offering nothing community-minded to prevent other ebay users from being at risk of suffering same. If you dont want to help brainstorm how we could address this loophole as an urgent issue that ebay should not be allowed to ignore, then you are offering this so-called community nothing but a repeat of what eBay does to avoid its obligatioons by repeating its TC's until victims give-up in disgust. 

As for "hijacking" someone elses question. I had no idea how to start my own so simply added my own frustrations & learnt what to do next, based on the inadequate support I got from ebay personnel.../... "ebay community members" - evidently, no such demopnstration of support, so dont try to convince me / otherwise.

Caveat emptor.

It is NOT a loophole, it is a legally enforcable term of using the site.

If you reckon you should be able to make a claim after 18 months, why not 2 years? 10? 50? When would you think it reasonable for eBay to put a limit on claims? About a week after you got yours approved, I'll warrant.

There is nothing to brainstorm - you are way past the time for any claim. All you could do is report it to ACORN's successor (as I believe the countess suggested) and hope they get Interpol involved. But that's it.

To start a thread in 'Ask a Member', you go to the community home page and enter your question. Or 'buying (this board)' and at the top is 'new message'.

Not difficult to understand...

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

1. YOU: Caveat emptor.
  2. ME: not actually my problem TO SUPERVISE eBayโ€™s "contracts with its sellers" - when ebayโ€™s LACK OF OVERSIGHT is facilitating the platform by which ebay's seller IS STILL SELLING & DEFRAUDING - unabated unequivocally by eBay who is therefore responsible for any damages or losses caused to its users as a consequence of ENABLING A "CRIMINAL ACT" (FRAUD: NO STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS APPLY). Also; caused, BY EBAY'S lack of ENDURING PROTECTION - AKA - NOT HAVING CHECKS & BALANCES IN PLACE TO ALLOW REPORTING TO PREVENT REPEAT OFFENDING - ONLY THEN COULD EBAY ARGUE IT COULD NOT BE HELD NEGLIGENT (REGARDLESS OF WETHER THE โ€œCRIMEโ€ is a 1, 10, OR 50 year old incident, FRAUD IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE; THUS, [REPEAT] VOID OF A STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ). Conversely putting THE WHOLE โ€œEBAY COMMUNITY (LIKE, YOU KNOW, โ€œOTHERSโ€) at risk, by attempting to enforce a policy which is an IMPEDIMENT (THUS LEGALLY REDUNDANT) to the reporting of criminal offences on its platform.

ร‚ 

1. YOU: It is NOT a loophole, it is a legally enforcable term of using the site.
  2. ME: (OUT-OF-TIME) IS โ€œNOTโ€ ENFORCEABLE WHEN ITโ€™S โ€œWILFULLY ABUSED WITH INTENTโ€ TO AVOID REFUNDING A FAILED โ€œEBAY-CONTRACTEDโ€ PURCHASE ORDER. In such circumstances ebay has an obligation to have systems in place to allow reporting of anything that prevents harm to othersโ€ฆ {the legal case references available which ANY legal counsel can have a court rely on, are endless. EVER HEARD OF EBAY BEING A JOINT TORT FEASOR & LEGALLY LIABLE PURSUANT TOโ€ฆ[โ€ฆbest we leave that one to class-action lawyers]}

ร‚ 

1. YOU: If you reckon you should be able to make a claim after 18 months, why not 2 years? 10? 50? When would you think it reasonable for eBay to put a limit on claims? About a week after you got yours approved, I'll warrant.
  2. ME: {already referred at [para;โ€œ2โ€] above}

ร‚ 

1. YOU: There is nothing to brainstorm - you are way past the time for any claim. All you could do is report it to ACORN's successor (as I believe the countless suggested) and hope they get Interpol involved. But that's it.
  2. ME: Interpol dont even need to get involved, the culprit is STILL using eBay & ---โ€œeBay will be askedโ€โ€”- why they aided & abetted (ENABLED) the seller by not acting (IN THE PAST) to prevent others (LIKE ME) from being defrauded - despite the seller being reported;โ€ฆ((EVEN, RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW โ€” SCREENSHOT in all its glory ))

ร‚ 

1. YOU: To start a thread in 'Ask a Member', you go to the community home page and enter your question. Or 'buying (this board)' and at the top is 'new message'.
  2. ME: Thank you.

ร‚ 

1. YOU: Not difficult to understand...
  2. ME: Not true, but youโ€™re entitled to your opinion.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

*enduring ("duty of care" - legally bound) auto correct

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

From my previous post in the Answer Centre... in the hope that it will help fellow buyers to prevent a problem purchase, or to remedy a problem purchase within the available timeframe.

If you see this:

Shop with confidence

eBay Money Back Guarantee symbol (currency in a shield)eBay Money Back Guarantee

Get the item you ordered or get
      your money back. Learn more

... of course it inspires confidence that in the event of a problem, eBay will refund you. HOWEVER... the very fact that there is a link saying "learn more" indicates that there are probably terms and conditions. Life experience should also inform us that there are likely to be terms and conditions... I don't know of any guarantee that is open-ended.

Caveat: In my view, eBay could make it even clearer by saying something like "T&Cs apply. Learn more." But in a legal battle, the link saying 'Learn more" would (in my judgement) be enough, particularly since a belief that a Money Back Guarantee would cover a transaction without limit and exception would not be reasonable. (Even our Consumer Legislation doesn't protect the consumer without limit.)

If you see this:

This member is an eBay Top-rated seller

RightConsistently receives highest buyer ratings
RightPosts items quickly
RightEarned a track record of excellent service

... in the seller's profile page, again it would give you confidence in the seller. However, bear in mind that eBay judges sellers by different methodology than individual buyers judge their sellers. No matter who endorses the seller, it does not mean that we buyers abrogate our judgement and thought processes, blindly trusting the seller. (To me, TRS is largely meaningless. I've seen many high-volume purveyors of cheap rubbish on eBay given TRS status. It just means that the sellers know how to meet eBay's metrics. It's hard to know how eBay could improve the methodology... and even if I had the answer, eBay are unlikely to implement it.)

The eBay Top-rated seller rating means that many more buyers have left positive feedback than negative feedback, but I can see several ways that this can be manipulated. (I won't mention them.) Even if the seller does NOT manipulate the system, the system is in my view inherently flawed:

• some dissatisfied buyers will not leave feedback at all, because they were refunded or because it was sorted out in some other way or because they didn't feel it was so bad that it deserved a negative
  • quite a lot of buyers tend not to leave feedback
  • some buyers only leave feedback if the experience was awful (so this does skew total results down)
  • some buyers wait, and the item doesn't arrive but the timeframe (60 days) for leaving feedback has lapsed
  • some feedback will be removed because it breaches eBay policy (for instance, mentioning a dispute, using profanity, and so on)
  • feedback falls off the radar and out of the seller's feedback percentage after 12 months
Don't mistake me; feedback from buyers can still be an important indicator! But it shouldn't be relied upon exclusively. In particular, when buying from an overseas seller against whom  you have no legal remedy if something goes amiss, you shouldn't think, "Oh, it'll be all right; this is a Top-rated seller. Evem though it's almost a month late, I will keep waiting."

My view: irrespective of the seller's status, don't ever let the timeframe for a dispute go past, if there is a problem.

You might also come across sellers with the eBay Premium Service badge:

Shop with confidence

Premium Service badgeeBay Premium Service
       Trusted seller, fast delivery and
       easy returns. Learn more

All that this means is that the seller offers free postage to Australian buyers (or rather, postage included in the item price (OR subsidised by the government for Chinese sellers), since there is no such thing as free postage) and a 30+ day money back return for change of mind. 30+ does not mean infinite; in fact, for the purpose of getting this rating, it means "at least 30 days". For the majority of such sellers, it will mean quite literally 30 days because they offer it in order to meet the eBay Premium Service conditions.

It also doesn't mean that the seller pays for the return postage; for many eBay Premium Service sellers, the Return Policy specifically states that the buyer is responsible for return postage cost. Don't forget that the buyer needs to send via a tracked postage method, and for overseas items this may well cost the buyer more than the original item price. It may end up not being worth it to proceed with a change of mind return.

My view: eBay Premium Service does NOT mean that the seller is a trustworthy seller.

The eBay Money Back Guarantee

I realise that not many buyers take the time to read through eBay's policies. The relevant pages are a right old muddle. For your information, here's the link to the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy page.

However, when you read the Shop with Confidence spiel on a listing, you will also see the Learn more link, which leads to a brightly coloured specially prepared page for buyers, all about the Money Back Guarantee.

It states:
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Indeed countess, but in one of vander's responses on the AC boards they said this :-

"there's THREE emails explicitly sent within ebay and paypal's dispute limitation timeframes"

So it's entirely possible vander was aware of the time constraints in both eBay and Paypal but chose, for whatever reason, not to pursue an INR claim for the 3,000 euros.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

padi, I am definitely puzzled by this scenario.

If vandegraaff8 was sent three emails within the dispute limitation timeframe - presumably by eBay - why did vandegraaff8 not open a dispute or (if the dispute was open) ask eBay to step in? To ignore emails that reminded him/her that time was running out to resolve the issue in those ways would be bizarre.

That's why I am leaning towards suspecting that vandegraaff8 SENT three emails within the dispute limitation timeframe. (At least that would make more sense.)

@vandegraaff8, if that's what you did - sending three emails - that is still not what eBay's T&Cs say you must do. The policy page explicitly states that you have to ask eBay to step in (within the report itself), because if the seller does not resolve the issue and you fail to ask eBay to resolve it, the request times out. Once timed out, the request can't be re-opened using eBay's automatic processes.

You could at that point have contacted eBay via "Have us call you" to ask for the request to be re-opened on the basis of not having realised that you should have asked eBay to step in. Even then, it would have been at eBay's discretion.

If you sent emails, were you not aware that emails to eBay aren't linked to the dispute process? They are processed (slowly - 3 days is not unusual) automatically by keyword bots, resulting in a bot-generated response. No human would have read those emails. If you'd replied to the first (bot-generated) email, the reply would still, very likely, have got no further than a second bot-generated response. Anecdotally it takes a few replies (within the same reply-answer reply-answer set of emails, NOT a new email with a new email subject) before the system picks up that human intervention is called for.

And... even if human intervention had finally been achieved, it would still not have been your required response withiin the eBay Resolution Centre process. eBay have set up their MBG within an automatic process that requires specific input from buyer and seller. By default, if you don't request eBay (within the dispute) to step in, it won't happen.

BUT... if you mean that you specifically did request eBay to step in (within the dispute process), and eBay failed to step in, that's another matter. In that case, I would get on to eBay asap via "Have us call you", to explain. (With enormous courtesy, not least because you're asking for something outside their automatic process which means you are at their mercy.)

Before I say any more on this, I think it has to be clarified exactly what you did do, from start to finish - every step you took, how you took it... When you say  "three emails explicitly sent", you have to clarify who sent the emails. If you mean that you asked eBay to do something, you have to clarify where, how, using what service/process.

I don't want to give false hope, but at least we can work out what specifically has gone wrong, if you've made an error or if eBay has somehow failed to act according to their T&Cs.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply