How to report a seller who wont sell?

tomfrh
Community Member

The seller is refusing to sell because he's not happy with the final price. He cancelled the sale before I could pay and then relisted it.

How do I report him? The ebay report seller links don't seem to go anywhere.

Message 1 of 50
Latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: How to report a seller who wont sell?

eBay doesn't act on this type of action.

Even though it's not good form, just find another seller.

You cannot force a seller to send an item.

In defence of the seller, if they are newish, eBay encourage sellers to list at 99 cents and many think adding a Buy it Now price is a similar to a reserve. So newbies are on a learning curve here on eBay.

image host
Message 2 of 50
Latest reply

Was the seller set to make a loss after postage and other costs? How much did you win this item for?

I commend you for not bowling straight in with negative feedback, but if indeed they were making s loss, I don't think that would be fair anyway. Can you give us more information re the sale price and postage?

Reporting is fruitless. It's the buyer's item and entirely their choice if they choose to proceed or not

Message 3 of 50
Latest reply

@tomfrh

do not despair that you have not yet got the type of response you are/were looking for.  Tomorrow is another day . . . and I am confident that you will get a reply from a sympathetic poster offering their support and maintaining that the seller should honour the transaction no matter what the circumstances are.  They might even link to an old thread to support their position.

The cold hard fact is that eBay can not make the seller sell the item to you at the final price.  Any sanction that eBay takes against sellers when they refuse to sell only makes a temporary dent on their ability to continue selling.  As much as you, I, or any sympathetic poster would like a stronger response from eBay . . . it just isn’t going to happen.

You are now in the position to decide how you will feel about this failed transaction.  You can:

- brood and sulk

- b!tch and moan about it on these boards

- accept that, even though the seller’s behaviour is not ideal, they have chosen to behave this way

- sit down, have a cuppa, and lament a lost opportunity to get an item at a low price and move on

The last two will allow you to get over this faster, the first two will eat away at you and cause you more angst.

Message 4 of 50
Latest reply

Sorry that his has happened to you but unfortunately this happens from time to time, and as other sellers have said it isn't "good form" for the seller to do this but nothing you can do about it. Most sellers would suck it up and accept, but as we have no way of knowing his situation and conditions surrounding the item very hard to judge him.

Try to see it from his perspective, could be a genuine error.

Perhaps you could send a message and ask- nicely- that as you were the one who missed out, would he sell it to you at a better price than new listing? Explain that you understand his actions and advise that you are still interested. He might just have a twinge of conscience and agree. After all he obviously still wants to sell the item. Better the "bird in the hand etc etc......"

Can't hurt to ask.

Although you will pay more you will still get your item, and he will get a decent/acceptable price. So win win.   

Or Maybe see if there is another one up for sale from different seller.

Good Luck, hope you get a positive outcome.

Message 5 of 50
Latest reply

tomfrh
Community Member
I know I can’t force them to sell. And obviously eBay won’t force them to. (How could they?)

My issue is that if the guy wasn’t happy with that price he should have set starting price higher. Instead I wasted my time bidding on an item when the opening price was merely a lure.

It was only about 10% below average sale price for that item anyway. It’s not like I scooped a mistakenly listed iPhone for $0.99

It sucks that sellers can bait buyers with fake starting bids and refuse to honour it when they don’t get the price they want. eBay should enforce their rules otherwise it makes a mockery of starting bids. eBay did away with reserve prices for a reason...
Message 6 of 50
Latest reply

Ebay has not done away with Reserve prices entirely....some sites including the USA still have it.

Message 7 of 50
Latest reply

It appears option 2 has been selected 😁

Message 8 of 50
Latest reply

Unfortunately this type of person is allowed to get away with this. I consider it a very low act on the part of the Seller. I don't agree with others that they may have lost money or this is in any way justified. On every listing there is a statement that says "The Seller is responsible for this listing" They should be made to be just that! I don't care if they are new to eBay or not. They should be responsible for their own actions, and if they were stupid enough to list at 99c and that is all they got, then THEY should wear the consequences which is of their own making, and not distress the innocent buyer. If I were running eBay they would be severely reprimanded and closed down entirely the second time they did this. I know it may be futile, but I would definitely complain to eBay and even if you don't get anywhere, at least you will feel better to have voiced your disproval to the people who SHOULD do something about it.

Message 9 of 50
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

Was the seller set to make a loss after postage and other costs? How much did you win this item for?

I commend you for not bowling straight in with negative feedback, but if indeed they were making s loss, I don't think that would be fair anyway. Can you give us more information re the sale price and postage?

Reporting is fruitless. It's the buyer's item and entirely their choice if they choose to proceed or not

I think the seller definitely deserves a negative, two if it was possible. Why should the innocent buyer be feeling sorry for this seller in any way.? The seller decided how to list and it is not up to the buyer to feel any guilt, shame or anything else if they get a bargain.

I'm definitely on the side of the buyer in this case.

Message 10 of 50
Latest reply