I am totally confused with a purchase I made, I feel as though I have been duped but I can't prove i

I needed a storage box and saw what I wanted at around $70 however I thought, on the same page, another vendor was offering 2 of the same box for $107 and so I clicked Buy It Now and paid with PayPal. My purchase was acknowledged 3 hrs later but I noticed it was only for one so I queried it. A reply came at 10.08pm last night confirming I was only getting one so 21mins later I requested cancellation of the purchase and I repeated the cancellation at 9.36 this morning which was acknowledged at 10.47 but Customer Service said they had to check with Despatch to see if it had already been sent. At 3.17pm I was told it was already sent and when I requested an address to send the item back they said they don't accept change of mind, their listing specified no returns and my cancellation request was made after hours and Customer Service didn't receive it until "almost noon".

I'm puzzled because I feel as though the listing has changed, the $107 & 2xoutdoor storage box are still there but a different vendor, which also says 30 day money back. I am usually very careful and find it hard to believe that I agreed to pay $107 for something that I could have bought, on the same page for $70. Bye the way, the $107 2x listing says the price is 64% off and list price is $299 but if you change the quantity box to 2, the price is $203.30, discounted by 5% from $214. I am just an old retired guy, I am not a business, I have been a member for 20odd years and my feedback is 407 and 100%.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I am totally confused with a purchase I made, I feel as though I have been duped but I can't prove i

Send another quick message stating that unless you receive a refund you will be forced to open an eBay return case.

What is the item number ?

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Item #122745621342

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I traced the original listing which you purchased on the 12th and nowhere does it say it's for 2.

They are 290 litre boxes and sorry but it clearly shows as being for one.

You were possibly looking at a few different listings and bought from the wrong one if there was another listing from a different seller selling 2.

It is also possible your seller had a discount offer but when you had clicked buy the offer had expired.

Sellers often use markdown discounts for 1, 2 or 3 days.

image host
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

If you go to your "purchased items" in ebay it should show the listing as it was when you purchased it. The listing now clearly states it is only for one box, but if the seller changed the listing after you purchased, it should still retain the original listing in your purchased items section.

One other thing to note is that the vendor has more than one of these boxes for sale. This shows right in the middle of the listing in blue writing. It now shows, " one sold" and three still available for sale. It is possible that it originally showed as 2 for sale, before you made your purchase, and the seller has now added another two to the listing quantity, since your purchase.

I sometimes get questions about how many of an item is included in a sale when I use this function, so you would not be the first person to be confused by this ebay feature. It happens quite often. I also add extra numbers to listed stock as an item gets close to selling out. Basically when stocks are low, I do a count of whats in storage and ammend the listing. Its a crude form of on the run stock taking and stock control.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Kopes, Its getting late,  isnt it past your bed time ......Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You cannot force the seller to give you a refund because you did not read the listing correctly.

There is definitely no mention of the listing being for two items.

Even if the seller agrees to a refund it will be for the item cost only and you will be responsible for the postage to return the item.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Thank you everybody for your advice and, indeed, I appear to have "stuffed up". Perhaos I was confused with item #161078691630 which has x2 and 2x in the description, you will note the quantity is only one and the price, by coincidence is what I have paid, $107. Furthermore item #400545761725 has a higher price and x3 and 3x in the description but the quantity is only one.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Hmm, was the one you saw for $70 exactly the same though? The one you're getting may be dearer but slightly better quality if it is a different brand etc, so look on the bright side.

No matter what, even if you made a mistake and paid slightly more, you're still ending up with a storage box you need & will use.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Item #390843113102 $67.90 with free postage, same size, same material, seems the same to me.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply