Incorrect new GST amount applied to invoice on overseas purchase

I have made two purchases with the new imposed GST on overseas purchases. The first was correct at 10% on purchase price and postage. 

I have just gone to make payment on another purchase and the amount imposed on the invoice as import duites is 14.7% (NOT THE LEGISLATED 10%).

Have sent a message to eBay and await there response which could be like a circus when it appears no one in customer service seems to know about GST.

Be causious when making payment. 

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Just an update if anyone is interested. It appears that the dreaded GSP program is charging in addition to the 10% GST import duties on items under $1,000.

Spoke with two supervisors and did finally get somewhere. Directed them the the Government Website on the appropriate page on purchases online. 

Got silience from the representative when they read the applicable clause.  They are to investigate and get back to me.

Message 2 of 66
Latest reply

Hi All - Update 3  !!!!

I have spent two hours on the phone today regarding the charging of more than 10% GST on low value imports via GSP.

I have spoken with the ATO - GST area who comfirmed my thoughts that for low value items imported under $1,000 there is 10% GST payably ONLY.!!!!! No other taxes or duties except in the case of the like of Tobacco / cigarettes etc.

GSP is charging extra costs. Now I have also demanded form Ebay I want a break down of the so called import charges on the invoice where I was charged more than the 10%  The amount will  include the GST but should not include any other costs which I have confirmed with the ATO.  They are to get back to me 

The ATO were helpful but said they could do little about it and suggested I go to the Customs section or ACCC.

Perhaps we all need to get on this case to Ebay and suggest that Pitney Robbers  (GSP) review the new legislation effective 1 July 2018 and charge the correct amount. 

Message 3 of 66
Latest reply

It is illegal for Australian businesses to charge customers extra for collecting the GST and remitting it to the ATO but I am not sure how you will get on with Pitney Bowes doing it.  They are an American company and no doubt are not subject to Australian law.

If PB is adding the GST at their end, what happens if/when you actually pay through paypal?   Does ebay add the 10% to their invoice as they are doing with all other overseas small value imports?

Message 4 of 66
Latest reply

No sure Lyndal as at the moment I am refusing to make payment on the invoice.  I have let the seller know.  I expect once I make payment on the invoice that should be it. 

Message 5 of 66
Latest reply

I will be following this thread with anticipation......please let us know the outcome.

Message 6 of 66
Latest reply

I await the first posts from someone who receives a GSP low-cost item that Pitney Bowes has added an 'import charge' to.

I will want to know if the GST on low-cost items has created additional work/forms for Pitney Bowes, hence an increase in GSP cost. 

Spoiler
Now, who do I know that hates the GSP and would love to expose them for adding an additional fee now that eBay are charging GST on international purchases? Any suggestions?
Message 7 of 66
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I await the first posts from someone who receives a GSP low-cost item that Pitney Bowes has added an 'import charge' to.

I will want to know if the GST on low-cost items has created additional work/forms for Pitney Bowes, hence an increase in GSP cost. 

Spoiler
Now, who do I know that hates the GSP and would love to expose them for adding an additional fee now that eBay are charging GST on international purchases? Any suggestions?

They don't buy using the GSP anyway so it shouldn't make any difference to them.  😉

The import charge showing on GSP listings includes brokerage fees so perhaps PB are charging a fee, but I wouldn't think they're actually doing anything different to before as ebay/paypal are actually collecting the gst on the purchases.  Perhaps gsp items are being handled differently as far as collecting the gst goes.

Message 8 of 66
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Spoiler

I know someone who fits that description.....July.
Message 9 of 66
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
I have just made two purchases from the UK and both GST amounts were charged in pounds and pence. Thus PayPal are making a profit of three pence per pound on the GST.
Surely it should be charged on the amount of Australian dollars paid
Message 10 of 66
Latest reply