Incorrect new GST amount applied to invoice on overseas purchase

I have made two purchases with the new imposed GST on overseas purchases. The first was correct at 10% on purchase price and postage. 

I have just gone to make payment on another purchase and the amount imposed on the invoice as import duites is 14.7% (NOT THE LEGISLATED 10%).

Have sent a message to eBay and await there response which could be like a circus when it appears no one in customer service seems to know about GST.

Be causious when making payment. 

Message 1 of 66
Latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Incorrect new GST amount applied to invoice on overseas purchase

Sellers don't collect the GST - ebay does and then remits it to the ATO

Message 61 of 66
Latest reply

@sunnflower05 wrote:

I'm also wondering why sellers are rounding up the gst.

on my purchases sometimes it's between 1/4c rounded up,that's not 10% I didn't think they were allowed to round up. It's only a few cents but when it's on everyone's purchases it's adding up

When a business does it's ABN the calculations are done to the nearest dollar.....up or down.

Somehow I don't think the ATO has a problem with rounding up or down.

Message 62 of 66
Latest reply

168-2581
Community Member

Folks' Im aware that GST is paid on item paid for,but in recent purchase's you include post and package in the total,therefore claiming incorrect amount of GST,as I understand it P&P should not be taxed so there has to be a refund from these purchase's.
                                                                                                                                           Regards John Gatt

Message 63 of 66
Latest reply

GST stands for Goods AND Services. Postage (and packing) is a service. Gst has always been charged on postage.

Latest reply

malk4
Community Member
Hi, what was the final outcome from your digging ?
I have just purchased a small item out of the USA and the import duties applied are in the order of 100% inflated
Message 65 of 66
Latest reply

if your 'small item' is also of 'low value' then of course the import duties are going to be large in terms of % of item value.  The fee that Pitney Bowes charges for providing it's service will always seem outrageously high if measured as a % of item price on low value cheap items.

Actual $ values would be helpful in assessing your transaction.

Message 66 of 66
Latest reply