Is it unreasonable to ask for cheaper combined postage if purchasing more than one item?

Would I be wrong in thinking this was just the correct ebay etiquette as a seller that this is the norm?

I mean I always combine postage to make it cheaper- I even refund the difference if I have overquoted by mistake. 

I feel is nothing to be gained from not combining- only more postage fees and potentially losing sales and future customers.

I had a weird / rude response from a seller I just won 2 kids jackets with and have had a slightly strange response to my request of cheaper combined postage...

the seller said "Hi 
I’m not going to the post office till Friday.
I had my postage bags all organised ready to go with postage prices aid out on Ebay listings.
That is until you assumed I would combine postage. 
I never said in my listings I would combine postage.
However I can get that looked at on Friday.
Have a good day"

Usually I would ask beforehand but I only spotted the auction in its last hour so I thought I wouldnt gat a response in time anyway. 

I guess my real question is why wouldnt you send cheaper combined postage if you could?  Am I missing something that I dont know about?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Is it unreasonable to ask for cheaper combined postage if purchasing more than one item?

I once asked a seller if they could combine shipping on two items purchased within an hour of each other one morning, and they declined, saying they couldn't do it and requiring me to pay full postage for the second item, which I did.

They then packed the second item in with the first, thinking they were pretty clever. They weren't.

Anyway, tomcollins3, I think there's no harm in politely asking, but if your seller doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, you just need to accept it.

And if somehow you find yourself in the situation where you've paid two lots of postage for two items, but only receive a single parcel...well, it gets awkward for the seller when eBay asks them for the second tracking number to prove the second item was actually delivered...

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

First off, I don't think it is unreasonable for a buyer to politely enquire if combined postage is possible, even after a sale.

Although if they can't, the buyer should also accept that.

When I first read your post, it very much sounded to me as if maybe the seller already had prepaid bags there, ready to go when the items sold. I don't get any sense the seller was planning on sending both together, even after your sale.

But it also sounds as if the items were not yet sealed in the bags, as otherwise the seller could not look into it on Friday.

I think the seller does sound a little disgruntled and if it is a private seller, the reason is because they are going to be left with one, maybe two spare pre paid bags.

They are just letting you know that you're asking for a concession that wasn't implied in the listing and putting them out by having to make a separate trip to the PO to check. I'm not sure why they couldn't do that online but they may not be sure what the 2 jackets will actually fit into, postage wise.

You can't blame the seller for not being thrilled but at the same time, the seller is looking into it so you may in fact be sent a cheaper postage quote tomorrow.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Do you know for sure it would be cheaper to send them together?

What would the combined weight be ? Would both jackets fit into the one postage bag ?

The seller in this case may indeed have already bought the postage bags. They may have bought 500gr bags,or 1kg bags or bigger bags, I don't know and without knowing I can't say

I personally don't think their response was rude

sorry

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Quite often  I have items pre packed to suit postage as quoted, and yes it can be a pain to rearrange packing to suit buyers, especially if you do not have larger packaging on hand, and may have purchased packaging  purely to suit the items you have listed.

Maybe they have purchased  2 x prepaid satchels to suit these jackets, and will now be stuck with them (presuming they have no other use for them) and will also have to purchase  a larger satchel or box.

Always best  to confirm prior to purchase, or be prepared to pay the prices quoted.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

It's not unreasonable to ask, it only starts to get unreasonable if a buyer refuses to accept the seller's reply and try to insist on things being done their way.
Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I think it is unreasonable to expect the seller to give combined postage when you ask after the auction has ended....especially if combined postage is not mentioned in the listing.

I think your seller was very moderate in his reply especially as he already has his packaging arranged.

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

I once asked a seller if they could combine shipping on two items purchased within an hour of each other one morning, and they declined, saying they couldn't do it and requiring me to pay full postage for the second item, which I did.

They then packed the second item in with the first, thinking they were pretty clever. They weren't.

Anyway, tomcollins3, I think there's no harm in politely asking, but if your seller doesn't want to do it for whatever reason, you just need to accept it.

And if somehow you find yourself in the situation where you've paid two lots of postage for two items, but only receive a single parcel...well, it gets awkward for the seller when eBay asks them for the second tracking number to prove the second item was actually delivered...

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

If the seller isn't willing to combine, that's their choice, but I'd be insisting that the items were sent in separate bags. If you are paying 2 lots of postage, then you should expect 2 separate bags. Otherwise, it's as mentioned earlier, they struggle to explain to eBay that the second item has actually arrived when it has no tracking number...........

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

I had a weird / rude response from a seller

Not rude, just factual.

And seller is going to look at options for you on Friday.

But as others have said, the time to ask about combined postage and if discounted is before you bid.

image host
Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Thanks to everyone for their reples and feedback!- I dont think i've come across a seller that wont combine or charge a bit less for postage at least so I was a bit confused by it all. 

Next time i'll definitley ask beforehand! 

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Why are there people in this thread implying a buyer should make a seller prove delivery to ebay with two tracking numbers, after having received a package with both of their purchases?

A) they won't necessarily need two tracking numbers, B) its already been established the seller isn't obliged to combine / reduce postage, and C) encouraging fraudelent behaviour, to what? teach a seller a lesson? is pretty disturbing.

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply