Is leaving feedback safe?

Let me first start off by saying that eBay is way to heavily weighted towards the buyer. With eBay and paypal policies and enforcement it amounts to a shoplifters paradise and a genuine hard working sellers nightmare. But after reading recent posts on the new defect seller requirements, correct me if I am wrong but sellers are able to go back and see what transaction in fact caused said defect and who and what buyer caused it. I am all for sellers being able to block buyers who leave them negative, neutral or low dsr ratings. In fact I believe if a buyer does so they should automatically be blocked from future purchases from the seller that they left low or negative ratings. But if a seller can now go back and see who caused them a problem and has their name and address can potentially now leave the feedback leaver in personal danger from a disgruntled seller. I feel the whole feedback system is a bit of a joke but if one can see who leaves low feedback there is now a danger for buyers leaving feedback that affects sellers negatively. In closing I know 99.999% of sellers would do nothing more than block a trouble buyer, but it's the .001% who will use this info to do harm in one way or another.
Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Is leaving feedback safe?

@comics.cards.clothes wrote:
If both sides are left in fear of negative consequences(mainly the seller) is this whole thing just a whitewash which now enables hard working sellers to be defrauded and buyers put at risk from retribution from non store sellers?

That's just it, though... Fear is a behaviour modifier, but a really, really bad one, especially in an environment where mutual trust and respect goes a lot further than fear of what the other person might do, and that's what I think is actually the biggest problem with the way ebay are handling the entire defect system - sellers scared of buyers, even scared of what in normal circumstances would be considered good customer service (eg hassle free refunds or returns, transaction cancellations when a buyer changes their mind etc), and buyers beginning to worry about the DSRs they leave.

Back when buyers could receive negative feedback, what's the bet that the majority of buyers who feared receiving a neg and hesitated to be completely honest or alert sellers to problems, were the ones who by and large did the right thing? People who are acutely conscious of negative consequences, and modify their behaviour because of them, tend to be the ones that actually care about this sort of thing, so as far as I'm concerned, in the long run this entire system is going to have a negative impact on the buyers and sellers who care the most. 😞

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

I agree completely. Sellers are robbed blind by dodgey eBay buyers and sellers have no real way to prevent other sellers getting bitten. eBay should be a completely mutual feedback system but not one where buyers are scared to leave honest feedback against the the small minority of dishonest sellers. All genuine sellers are so scared as to not violate policies and procedures to remain on eBay that they do whatever to remain in place. People who leave incorrect and ridiculous feedback should be removed as much as sellers who misrepresent there services.
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

I think off hand I have only ever given 6 of my 200 plus transactions a less than 5 star across the board rating. If I get an item and it works the first time I try and leave the best possible feedback comment.
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I just thought I'd add, as well, that if it looks like I have mixed emotions regarding both the DSR and defect systems, it's because I do... Smiley LOL

On some levels, I can see what eBay is trying to acheive, and as standalone ideas, they have some merit (DSRs moreso than the defect system), I just disagree with many of the ways they've been implemented, and believe that what are commonly subjective, opinion-based ratings have no place in deciding whether a seller is worth their salt. eBay keeps saying that their data shows buyers who leave a 3-star or less rating for description etc are less likely to return to eBay and keep spending, but to automatically presume that means the seller did something wrong and dish out punishment for it is inherently wrong. 

What I would really like to see is consequences based on signifcantly more tangible evidence of a so-called 'defect', reviews recognised for what they are, which would allow for their subjectivity (and therefore honesty), then we can all go back to concentraing on buying / selling. 

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

I think the whole DSR and defect system is a stupid waste of buyers, sellers and ebay's time so will continue to sell, and buy, in what I consider the correct manner and would never compromise what I think is the right thing to do because of what ratings I may give or get.

It is also my experience that there are far more dodgy sellers than buyers, I have only ever had one buyer try to rip me off, I lost not a cent in the end and the only red dots I ever received were removed, but I have had a considerable number of sellers try and rip me off and I wouldn't care if the whole bunch turned up on my doorstep at once seeking retribution it would not stop me leaving the feedback and DSRs they deserve.

I do think that if positive feedback is left then a buyer should not be able to mark down description stars below 4, if they are unhappy enough with an item to leave a low star they should be up front enough to leave neut or neg feedback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Interesting point you raise. As you say 99.99% of ebayers are fine, but over the years I have come across several ( three that I can think of ) genuine outright nutters. These where buyers not sellers and I,m not sure that they would be able to sell, at least without raising red flags with listing descriptions etc. I have always handled them with care and never had any problems with them, but man they could be really scary if something went wrong.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

There are a few factors to consider.

* First off, I suspect many ebay buyers still think their star rating is confidential because it used to be and ebay used to say that.

* Second, I doubt most casual buyers would have much clue that their star rating has much impact on sellers. They would probably be aware that a negative matters, but I am betting most think the star rating is just a guide.

* Third, even if they think of the stars as a guide, I bet my bottom dollar most wouldn't see 3 stars as a bad rating. It isn't the nature of people to give top or bottom ratings for things, unless they are really, really motivated. I have to admit I rarely gave 5 stars as a matter of course and even now, if someone took 3-4 days to post something to me, they wouldn't be getting 5 stars for speed. I would lay odds most people would say 5 is fantastic, 4 stars is very good, 3 is average, quite okay, 2 is poor show and 1 means I am really angry about this aspect, they were pretty poor.

I know ebay may not judge it that way, but casual buyers probably do. You aren't going to change human nature so ebay needs to change.

But if buyers aren't really aware that their star rating has much impact or is seen by sellers and could result in them being blocked buyers, then it isn't going to influence their behaviour.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

I agree.

I believe the true inequity began when ebay made it impossible for sellers to leave neg or neutral feedback for buyers.

Their reason that was and is always given for this - sellers were leaving retaliatory neg feedback for buyers.

All that ebay achieved by taking away the right of sellers to leave neg or neutral feedback for buyers was to turn the tables !

Now sellers are vulnerable to retaliatory feedback if they don't accede to the requests or demands of buyers, not matter how unreasonable. They live in fear of dreaded neg or neutral feedback.

As I've said in many other threads, the 'subtext' of many ebay policy decisions and comments here is that they value retaining buyers of any description much more than retaining even the good, trustworthy, honest sellers.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

I don't know if the following is deserving of it's own thread, but if I see the following when I click on the tracking number provided and then the tracking number for the parcel shows as it not even being lodged with local post office until say around 5 days later, I will mark the seller's star's down.

Shipping information received by Australia Post

IMO, the seller is being dishonest as to when they actually post my parcel and they seem to think that just because they've printed the label, that qualifies as posting.Woman Mad

Now please feel free to tell me I'm wrong in my thinking and that I should instead, just message the seller, who will somehow magically make it all ok.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Perfectly reasonable, foxette.

Honesty is everything and it is annoying to have people mislead. I'd mark the stars down, too. They would get a 2 or 3 from me, no higher.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply