Item is not real estate but cannot be returned as it is listed in real estate.

idss1
Community Member

I bought a shopping trolley and it is faulty and cannot be used. I am unable to return it, as it was incorrectly listed in the real estate category. 

Blue Foldable Shopping Grocery Carts Trolley Bags Luggage Wheels Basket AU STOCK | eBay

eBay item number:
How does a buyer return a faulty item in this case?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

The usual AU Stock trick...

Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

It's more than likely to cost you more to return it than it is worth

And if you do get a reply, since they are in China , be prepared for any number of excuses and promises, no of which will happen. Especially with their number of red dots 

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

I am pretty sure it wasn't listed in Real Estate when I bought it. I did purchase it before the 19th, so the category must have been changed. I usually know what deals are on as I check the category of the listing to see if the item has any offers available. Usually Ebay is pretty safe, but this is a scam I wasn't aware of 😞 This is definitely a loophole that ANY seller can exploit. So a seller lists a broken or faulty item, the buyer pays, but then the seller changes the category to Real Estate, then the buyer is out of pocket? Potentially for thousands of dollars? Ebay needs to fix this 😞
Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

Have you phoned Paypal and spoken to them about this?

Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

The listing was ended because it was incorrect. I did receive the item and it had tracking. But it broke in the first 5 minutes of use, without anything in it. It was supposed to hold 25kg. It definitely was a scam, but I couldn't find any option to report it as a scam 😞
Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

Not yet, last time I phoned paypal, it took a long time to get through, then I was advised it was Ebay I had to go through. I was told to open a case. But I can't because of the real estate category.
Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Opening a dispute in either ebay or paypal is an automated process.  It will automatically close as soon as the system detects the category it was listed in.

The only way is to actually speak to someone at either ebay or paypal....someone who can over-ride the system and open a dispute for you.

You may have to ring more than once....until you find a sympathetic customer service person who will help you.

Just remember, the system is aimed at making you give up before you get anywhere.

Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

@idss1

I cannot stress too strongly that you should contact eBay by requesting the Call Me Back option as go-tazz has said.

The same stress is on what lyndal1838 has said. eBay offer automatic options for the scenarios where straightforward buyer complaints can be dealt with (in a way which leave eBay able to offer buyers easy remedies but for which eBay doesn't - as a rule - have to pay, since the seller is then charged by eBay). But for anything where a "No, because [insert reason for denying claim] can stop those few (percentage-wise) instances of unsatisfactory/scam purchases, the automatic set-up is designed to make most buyers in that relatively small percentage give up.

If, however, you do take up the cudgels as has been suggested on this thread, and politely communicate with eBay in the way that's been suggested (phone call-back), you have a good chance of being refunded.

Assuming that all the information stated here (that it was a Chinese seller listing a faulty item deliberately in the Real Estate category) is correct - and from what I can see it is correct - then emphasise the following points when you speak to the eBay rep:

• The item is significantly not as described.
  • It was evidently a scam listing and has since been ended due to an apparent error in the listing.
  • It was apparently deliberately listed in the real estate category in order to perpetrate the fraud, preventing you from initiating a return and making a claim against the fraudulent seller.
  • eBay ought - by allowing the fraudulent listing in a category which offers the seller a protection from claims, in which the item clearly should not have been listed - to bear responsibility here in having allowed an item to be listed in the real estate category when it contravened eBay policy to so list the item in question. (Be very polite when you mention this, though. You're negotiating with eBay, and this is never done effectively with a confrontational approach.)
  • You request a full refund based on these facts.

Hmmm... I am reaosnably sure that if the category were not Real Estate at the time of your purchase, you would have been able to open a case. (Can anyone confirm?)

Was the item sent domestically? (Item location states it is in Australia, but of course seller is not in Australia. "Based in China, [the seller] has been an eBay member since 21 Mar, 2008." - I've removed the name as otherwise a moderator would!) If the item was not sent from Sydney, NSW, Australia, as the listing states, then you could add an additional point when speaking to eBay:

• Item location was falsely stated to be within Australia. Item was actually sent from China.

Other purchasers have experienced similar things to you. In the negative feedback for your seller:

Negative feedback ratingBeware don’t trust!Fake items and defective.Seller tries to avoid a full refunds

Negative feedback ratingWare versendet ohne Verpackung, beschädigt, kein Umtausch

(Buyer is saying item was damaged on arrival and seller offered no replacement)

Negative feedback ratingBUYERS BEWARE!!! Faulty goods and will try and get out of replacing AVOID!!!!!!!

Negative feedback ratingFunktioniert nicht. Saugt überhaupt nicht.

(Buyer is saying item doesn't work properly at all.)

Negative feedback ratingDoes not work. It will unglue even from a cleaned and dryed surface.

Negative feedback ratingItem received but not working 😕

Negative feedback ratingItem was broken and unusable. Refund refused. Told me to ‘use it anyways’.

(The seller's reply to this feedback is actually hilarious in a black comedy sort of way.)

Negative feedback ratingThe item broke down instantly.

Negative feedback ratingWrong items- 2x RHS sent - not pair- Seller argued &wanted more money to replace

Negative feedback ratingReceived item damaged sent loads of messages and ages to respond never again

Negative feedback ratingKeine gute funktion es ist das geld nicht wert

(Buyer is basically saying it's a non-functioning piece of rubbish.)

Negative feedback ratingFalscher Artikel Bekommen , umtausch unmöglich keine komunikation möglich

(Buyer says that the wrong article was received and that the seller won't replace.)

And those are just the most recent negative feedbacks that talked about faulty items. The negs for non-arrival of goods also tells a similar tale.

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks, none of the options worked as the seller changed the category to Real Estate, after I purchased the item. All of these items, by all sellers have been ended. Obviously because it is a faulty item. I did find the email option through your link, so I have emailed them.
Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks, I checked the original listing, it was not listed in Real Estate. It was changed after I purchased the item. I have emailed the details to Ebay. All of these items by all sellers have been ended. Sellers should lose their registration for these fraudulent practices.
Message 20 of 25
Latest reply